[ROM][GEN2/3][31.10.] CyanogenMod 9 - KonstaKANG (Android 4.0.4)

Guest KonstaT

Guest KonstaT

It would be quite interesting to see if the Blade could have a build passing CTS. But since this is quite a hack I think we still wouldn't have official builds.

Well, CTS is a collection of ~17000 tests that you can pass or fail. I guess you'd have to send the result sheet to Google to get the final word.

I did a test with my CM9 build from yesterday. I run about half of the tests (somewhat selected) and failed 66 - that's below 1% (I doubt there's a build that would pass all of these :P). I don't think that Ganster's patch makes any difference considering CTS. Media test were passed even though the playback was very choppy with some codecs (like it used to be with YouTube HQ). Surprisingly failed media decoding tests were with WebM/Vp8 format :o (honestly haven't even heard of this before, and Android should have native support since gingerbread anyway). Most failed test were about camera functions, camcorder and media recorder in general. Nothing too critical (or even interesting) besides that. And it's of course also positive that the build was stable enough to run these tests so that is didn't crash/burn/freeze/reboot/etc while doing that.

I guess it's time to test CM10 next and see what's the story with those hacks that are advertised as 'breaking CTS'. ;)

Hmm sorry, you will probably update this CM9 or your KonstaKANG CM10 ?

Who's said anything about updating. :P I'd actually prefer if someone who still uses CM9 as a daily driver would maintain a build (CM9 KANG, ICS Paranoid Android or whatever). Everything in my github should be up to date if you want to compile it yourself. I haven't used this in a few months and personally don't see any reason coming back to CM9.

It wouldn't require too much effort from my behalf to make builds but these would be completely untested and that's never a good thing.

Guest reedo_17

Well, CTS is a collection of ~17000 tests that you can pass or fail. I guess you'd have to send the result sheet to Google to get the final word.

I did a test with my CM9 build from yesterday. I run about half of the tests (somewhat selected) and failed 66 - that's below 1% (I doubt there's a build that would pass all of these :P). I don't think that Ganster's patch makes any difference considering CTS. Media test were passed even though the playback was very choppy with some codecs (like it used to be with YouTube HQ). Surprisingly failed media decoding tests were with WebM/Vp8 format :o (honestly haven't even heard of this before, and Android should have native support since gingerbread anyway). Most failed test were about camera functions, camcorder and media recorder in general. Nothing too critical (or even interesting) besides that. And it's of course also positive that the build was stable enough to run these tests so that is didn't crash/burn/freeze/reboot/etc while doing that.

I guess it's time to test CM10 next and see what's the story with those hacks that are advertised as 'breaking CTS'. ;)

Who's said anything about updating. :P I'd actually prefer if someone who still uses CM9 as a daily driver would maintain a build (CM9 KANG, ICS Paranoid Android or whatever). Everything in my github should be up to date if you want to compile it yourself. I haven't used this in a few months and personally don't see any reason coming back to CM9.

It wouldn't require too much effort from my behalf to make builds but these would be completely untested and that's never a good thing.

So we need somebody to build the CM9 from your github? if somebody did this now will it include HQ youtube?

Guest dreis911

Fixed all things.

cm-9-20121031-KonstaKANG-blade.zip

Thanks a lot KonstaT.

And thanks a lot to Ganster too for the new breakup.

With new libs to this Qualcomm chip (MSM7x27).....is FM radio still out of question?

Edited by dreis911

Guest b3rvirus

Fixed all things.

cm-9-20121031-KonstaKANG-blade.zip

http://www.mediafire...7t1ua131atz770l

md5:fb64b09327c304ff25b934c00432a0da

-fixed Youtube HQ (thanks to Ganster)

great.. thanks

maybe this list should be updated :)

and what about FM radio ? because i'd like to see small list of issues

Known issues: (same list as every other ICS ROM for Blade)

• Video hardware decoding because of missing ARMv6 OMX
  • FM radio
  • Native wifi tethering - use an external app
  • Camcorder videos can't be played via gallery - use an external app
  • Occasional blank screen in gmail app (and facebook?)

Guest b3rvirus

Camcorder videos can't be played via gallery? Why? On my ROM gallery only can't generate thumbnail, but plays ok...

that's why I said those list should be updated :)

Guest KonstaT

Thanks a lot KonstaT.

And thanks a lot to Ganster too for the new breakup.

With new libs to this Qualcomm chip (MSM7x27).....is FM radio still out of question?

First you'd need to explain what new libs and what it has to do with FM radio. :P

FM radio has never been out of the questions. It's always been simply not worth the trouble.

CyanogenMod as a project has decided not to include FM radio. There's few reasons to this. AOSP devices (Nexus) don't have FM and thus there is no FM support in AOSP. CM supports devices on all major platforms (Qualcomm, TI OMAP, Tegra, Exynos) and finding a solution that would work on all platforms and all of the supported devices would be extremely difficult. Making FM radio work on a single Qcom or TI device should be relatively straight forward. Even that said, it is not something that you should expect to happen - unless you're going to do it yourself.

maybe this list should be updated :)

Already updated once today and it's up to date.

Camcorder videos can't be played via gallery? Why? On my ROM gallery only can't generate thumbnail, but plays ok...

You can't play camcordered videos via gallery on your ROM either (at least not on the one I tested). It's most likely because of the missing metadata that needs to be disabled for the encoder. You've always been able to playback videos that you've previously recorded with gingerbread ROMs etc.

Guest Ganster

:wacko:

My actions:

1. Take video from camera - OK:

2. Open DCIM/Camera folder in gallery, thumbnail for my video from previous step are missed(Software decoder can't extract it, because don't understand color format in that video);

3. Click on video icon - gallery already try to get thumbnail - FAIL;

4. Click on preloader - opens Video Player select dialog;

4. Select VIdeo Player(its embedded in gallery player) - video plays OK.

WTF? May be you wait playing on step 3? It never been, with any video file, just showing thumbnail :)

So, I see only thumbnails getting issue...

Edited by Ganster

First you'd need to explain what new libs and what it has to do with FM radio. :P

FM radio has never been out of the questions. It's always been simply not worth the trouble.

CyanogenMod as a project has decided not to include FM radio. There's few reasons to this. AOSP devices (Nexus) don't have FM and thus there is no FM support in AOSP. CM supports devices on all major platforms (Qualcomm, TI OMAP, Tegra, Exynos) and finding a solution that would work on all platforms and all of the supported devices would be extremely difficult. Making FM radio work on a single Qcom or TI device should be relatively straight forward. Even that said, it is not something that you should expect to happen - unless you're going to do it yourself.

Anyone expert here to make FM Radio work on ZTE Blade to achieve last milestone and make the fully functional ICS ROM for ZTE Blade?

I already tried to add FM radio support, but it requires MANY changes in framework. I understand CM team :)

Really appreciate your efforts

Is it possible to port FM Radio apk available on ZTE Blade CM7 or SSRLS7 to ICS and make it work?

Edited by anantk

Guest KonstaT

:wacko:

My actions:

1. Take video from camera - OK:

2. Open DCIM/Camera folder in gallery, thumbnail for my video from previous step are missed(Software decoder can't extract it, because don't understand color format in that video);

3. Click on video icon - gallery already try to get thumbnail - FAIL;

4. Click on preloader - opens Video Player select dialog;

4. Select VIdeo Player(its embedded in gallery player) - video plays OK.

WTF? May be you wait playing on step 3? It never been, with any video file, just showing thumbnail :)

So, I see only thumbnails getting issue...

I've been testing these with full wipe. I don't have video player select dialog because I don't have any other video players. It still tries to use software decoder and it still fails on metadata. Only thing changed from before is that instead of 'can't play this video' message you'll get that Android wait animation (spinning ball) but no playback.

I had some logcat output leftover on one of my terminal windows. Can't be bothered to flash it back to get proper logs. It's looping this:

I/OMXCodec( 116): Attempting to allocate OMX node 'OMX.google.h263.decoder'
I/OMXCodec( 116): Successfully allocated OMX node 'OMX.google.h263.decoder'
E/OMXCodec( 116): [OMX.google.h263.decoder] Video O/P format.eColorFormat 0x40b6a225
I/OMXCodec( 116): [OMX.google.h263.decoder] Enable frame by frame mode
W/OMXCodec( 116): Failed to set frame packing format on component
I/OMXCodec( 116): [OMX.google.h263.decoder] video dimensions are 352 x 288
I/OMXCodec( 116): [OMX.google.h263.decoder] Crop rect is 352 x 288 @ (0, 0)
E/SoftMPEG4( 116): failed to decode video frame.
E/OMXCodec( 116): [OMX.google.h263.decoder] ERROR(0x80001001, 0)
E/OMXCodec( 116): [OMX.google.h263.decoder] in error state, check omx il state and decide whether to free or skip
E/OMXCodec( 116): [OMX.google.h263.decoder] OMX IL is in state 3
E/MetadataRetrieverClient( 116): failed to capture a video frame
E/MediaMetadataRetrieverJNI( 813): getFrameAtTime: videoFrame is a NULL pointer
W/ImageCacheRequest( 813): decode orig failed /local/video/item/29,MICROTHUMB
E/MetadataRetrieverClient( 116): failed to extract an album art
E/MediaMetadataRetrieverJNI( 813): getEmbeddedPicture: Call to getEmbeddedPicture failed.[/CODE]

Is it possible to port FM Radio apk available on ZTE Blade CM7 or SSRLS7 to ICS and make it work?

The radio app is least of the problems. It's only a frontend for controlling FM functions. Sure you can install all kinds FM radio apps but there won't be anything to control.

Here is a summary post I wrote for CM10. It will give you an idea what kind of changes we are talking here (and it's still missing bunch of stuff for our device's audio system).

Guest KonstaT

Hi Konsta,

any chance something of this can get its way to cm9/cm10 gerrit repo? :)

Well, not really.

I think it's up to Ganster to upload his patch for review. 'singlepdp' was my own addition so it's fine upstream. And for bluetooth, it's a change in proprietaries.

I could submit my improved volume key cursor control to ics branch since it was already merged in jellybean, but I really haven't bothered. :P

Guest Ganster

I/OMXCodec( 116): [OMX.google.h263.decoder] Crop rect is 352 x 288 @ (0, 0)

E/SoftMPEG4( 116): failed to decode video frame.

E/OMXCodec( 116): [OMX.google.h263.decoder] ERROR(0x80001001, 0)

Its log of thubnail getting error. Try to click on loading animation after it ;)