#askmodaco - The Nexus 7

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

How do you find the quality of the screen? Pocketnow intimate it's "washed out/dull"

Maybe they're too used to their OLEDs. I think the screen is great!

You know if I knew for sure that USB OTG would work with the NX7 so I could watch media off a USB stick I think I would buy one right away.

Reading all the threads on XDA it seems know one knows for sure if it is going to be possible. Hopefully it is a software limitation that the scene will sort.

Of course usually after a Nexus comes out the manufacturer releases an own brand version with slightly more features so wouldn't at all be surprised is Asus have a slightly more expensive version with micro sd and MHL out in the not too distant future.

iFixit have done a teardown, and say that a micro USB to HDMI cable was included with their Nexus 7.

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nexus-7-Teardown/9623/1

I'll try and dig out my MHL cable, I have one somewhere! :/

P

Guest Rocky7

How do you find the quality of the screen? Pocketnow intimate it's "washed out/dull"

I thought the screen was excellent too. The free movie Transformers dark side of the moon looked immaculate.

Guest jmagee

Do you think you'll have a ROM for it by the time mine is delivered? :-p Or is there very little need to produce one? That said being able to shove a USB stick into it would be awesome!

Guest gwebb

Zooming in on the picture it does show the HDMI logo on it, but I'm still inclined to think there must be a mistake, as surely the reviews would have mentioned HDMI support if it was there.

*edit*

I think I've figured out what they might have done. Perhaps that is a cable supplied with the Nexus Q, and they've mixed the parts up.

Guest PaulOBrien

Do you think you'll have a ROM for it by the time mine is delivered? :-p Or is there very little need to produce one? That said being able to shove a USB stick into it would be awesome!

I will do. Yes, there's already a few things I've seen I wanna fix. Dual menu buttons on the bottom bar, reinstate the camera icon, preinstall Flash and a few other bits. :P

Zooming in on the picture it does show the HDMI logo on it, but I'm still inclined to think there must be a mistake, as surely the reviews would have mentioned HDMI support if it was there.

*edit*

I think I've figured out what they might have done. Perhaps that is a cable supplied with the Nexus Q, and they've mixed the parts up.

I found my MHL cable so i'll try it in a bit.

P

Guest gwebb

iFixit has changed the article. The cable has gone.

Incidentally for Bluetooth 4.0 Low Energy, the profiles to look for are ATT and GATT. I believe they can be supported on older versions, but they are an indicator that a device supports 4.0.

Guest rferrett

From what I understand from reading all the XDA threads drives can be mounted, but they dont work properly.

People are trying to work out if this is a safotware thing or is the port is not 5v and therefore a technical thing.

Presumably once some devs start messing with the kernel we will know soon enough.

Guest rferrett

Out of interest Paul what is your professional opinion on that debate? Do you think USB OTG is a fixable software thing or a hardware limitation of the NX7?

Guest PaulOBrien

Out of interest Paul what is your professional opinion on that debate? Do you think USB OTG is a fixable software thing or a hardware limitation of the NX7?

Software!

P

Guest sipart

As Chrome is the dafault browser and we all know about he lack of tablet apps - how does the Chome Web Store Web apps perfrom on the Nexus - does it/is it supposed to be cross platfrom to the extent it works well on tablets/phones?

Guest Sebastian404

I also have a white dev unit from Google I/O, and while I've not really played with it, I do love it.. if only it was Black and had more storage, and an SD Card slot.. yeah the usual complaints you've all heard.

as I say I've not had much time to mess with it, and I'm about to head off on a road trip, so I'll have a better view at the weekend. But a couple of guys in my office have one too and I'm a bit concerned that one guy has already dropped his and the glass screen is broken, I think maybe you should invest in case. Gorilla glass would of been another thing on the list I'd of liked.

The other thing that I should stress is that currently any 'review' you'll see is running on a development version of the S/W which is quite buggy in places, I'd wait for the retail versions before making your mind up if your on the fence.

Guest Rocky7

There was a huge difference between the firmware out of the box and the firmware once it had updated for the first time. This suggested to me that there was still a lot of changes ongoing.

It was quite juddery out of the box.

Guest fahim.yaqoob

Paul do you know what free stuff we will be getting for preordering. I read that we will not be getting any of the magazines in the uk.

Guest fahim.yaqoob

Paul i pre ordered my nexus 7. I checked my bank accout today, but google hasn't deducted the money from my account. I even have the reciept for the pre order, so could i actually be getting it for free

Guest PaulOBrien

Paul do you know what free stuff we will be getting for preordering. I read that we will not be getting any of the magazines in the uk.

A Jeffrey Archer book and the Transformers movie.

P

Guest PaulOBrien

Paul i pre ordered my nexus 7. I checked my bank accout today, but google hasn't deducted the money from my account. I even have the reciept for the pre order, so could i actually be getting it for free

Unlikely!

P

Guest fahim.yaqoob

Unlikely!

P

thanks for replying. Yeah, but it is strange because my mini statement has no record of google even requesting a payment.

P.S: arsenal are the best

Guest rferrett

I'm now at 90% decided to get a NX7. Starting to believe it is "when" not "if" the USB OTG issue is sorted.

Now to just convince myself it is a sensible investment!

Guest jmagee
I'm now at 90% decided to get a NX7. Starting to believe it is "when" not "if" the USB OTG issue is sorted.

Now to just convince myself it is a sensible investment!

Just do it. Good deal in the UK via Currys too which had been mentioned in here. I've been toying with the idea of a tablet for a while and personally want one of these before their popularity pushes up the price

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.