Bootloader Unlock for ICS 4.0.3 for the Ascend G300

Guest Jekle

Guest FrankieADZ

I've installed the update and it seems great to be honest (I did it via the Storage menu > software upgrade). I have ICS on my blade and my Vega, and this is as good as either of those versions. Everything was in English from the start so there was no fumbling through menus trying to set the language. There are obviously a few chinese apps that won't be wanted (which I just froze with TB), I also installed Apex launcher because I prefer it over the stock launcher. Gapps flashed fine just as it would with any CM ROM, I connected to my WiFi and my google account as normal and all my apps downloaded from Play and everything works as it should so far (including the camera in case anyone was wondering).

I'm getting 2954 in Antutu bench 2.8.3 which is not bad for a stock ROM, I used to get 3000 with tillaz ROM, everything feels very smooth though.

The only thing I want to change is the initial splash screen but this is purely cosmetic and really is a very minor thing.

does FM Radio work on it?

that seems to be a gripe i have with ICS

Guest Hpez

does FM Radio work on it?

that seems to be a gripe i have with ICS

The FM radio apps starts fine but I only get as far as the 'plug in your headset' message which I don't have with me in work. If I remember I'll grab it at lunch time and test it for you.

Guest FrankieADZ

The FM radio apps starts fine but I only get as far as the 'plug in your headset' message which I don't have with me in work. If I remember I'll grab it at lunch time and test it for you.

Guest Hans Gruber

I just gave it a go with headphones plugged in and it's all working as it should be

Guest FrankieADZ

I just gave it a go with headphones plugged in and it's all working as it should be

Yay :D

well im pleased with that :D

Guest Hpez

That's certainly the benefit of a stock ROM - working FM radio! ;)

Guest FrankieADZ

That's certainly the benefit of a stock ROM - working FM radio! ;)

got me wondering if just copying the FM Radio ICS ap APK then trying on CM9 would work. lol.

Guest Hpez

got me wondering if just copying the FM Radio ICS ap APK then trying on CM9 would work. lol.

Heh, I don't think it is that easy, sadly. I know FM radio is a real pain to get working with custom ROMs so I would expect it to be a bit of complicated than just copying a apk. I am sure one of the devs will enlighten us. ;)

Guest Rico_89

OK!

Here's what I did, and what happened...

• Flashed ICS from the official download from the Huawei site (dload dir) - OK!
  • Flashed the vendor package from the official download from the Huawei site (vendor dir) - OK!
  • Installed ADB drivers from the ISO mounted on the phone - OK!
  • Ran 'unlockbootloader.exe' and clicked root - OK!
  • Verified root - OK!
  • Ran 'unlockbootloader.exe' and clicked bootloader - app closed on completion - OK!
  • Started device in bootloader and fastboot flashed clockworkmod recovery - OK!
  • Launched clockworkmod recovery - OK!
  • Launched device normally with SIM inserted, got service and made call - OK!

That's what I call a success! :)

Next, make a MCR of B192 to go over the top with Chinese stuff removed and Google stuff added! :)

P

Even though I'm not sure about everything Paul is talking about I think I'll try this when the MCR comes out. I'm new to android and sometimes you guys talk so fast it's hard to understand what you're talking about lol.

Assuming I'll have to do the above (before installing the MCR version) to update the baseband then is that done by placing the download on my SD card and then going to settings/storage/software upgrade/ SD card upgrade? I've never gone beyond that as the warning seems pretty serious.

I don't mean to get in the way with my newb questions but I'm just trying to understand everything seeing as I'm a complete beginner.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok seeing as this is a stock rom I can follow the instructions on the "I'm New Thread". I did read that before but I didn't realise that this Chinese rom would be seen as stock for the UK.

Edited by Rico_89

Guest Hpez

@ Rico: If you have any question at all feel free to ask either here or via PM - one thing about MoDaCo is I have never seen anyone flamed for asking questions. When messing with things like this it is good to ask questions, so don't ever worry about that. :)

One thing I have noticed since flashing ICS is that the phone signal strength seems more stable, with the GB stock ROM the bars bounced up and down like a EQ meter but this seems far more stable (at least visually).

Guest FrankieADZ

Heh, I don't think it is that easy, sadly. I know FM radio is a real pain to get working with custom ROMs so I would expect it to be a bit of complicated than just copying a apk. I am sure one of the devs will enlighten us. ;)

dam. i thought that might be the case. lol.

Guest sej7278

ok i've read this whole thread and a couple of others and i'm probably in thick mode today as i'm still confused.

isn't this ics update in chinese - does it even work outside of china (cdma), can you change the language?

if we want to use cm9 instead of the huawei ics, is it worth installing the huawei update first (to get new baseband/ril?) and then unlocking the bootloader and "downgrading" to cm9?

what's this u8815/c8818/u8800pro stuff - which one is the vodafone ascend g300 as in tesco? can we go straight to the huawei ics from stock 885/882 or do we have to go via this 888 build?

have huawei released the 3.0.8 kernel sourcecode, as cm9 is still using 2.6 it seems?

did paul ever do the tutorial as in:

sim unlock

root

clockworkmod

huawei ics b926

unlock bootloader

is MCR still gingerbread or has it moved to ics yet? i've seen the rooting-only thread.

is there a better armv7 phone with ics for around £100 - what's this acer liquid metal like or sony xperia wotnots? not interested in zte skate/blade2 crap.

Edited by sej7278

Guest Pondlife
One thing I have noticed since flashing ICS is that the phone signal strength seems more stable, with the GB stock ROM the bars bounced up and down like a EQ meter but this seems far more stable (at least visually).

That's very encouraging. Was a bit volatile on gb for sure.

Guest Hpez

ok i've read this whole thread and a couple of others and i'm probably in thick mode today as i'm still confused.

isn't this ics update in chinese - does it even work outside of china (cdma), can you change the language?

I can't answer all your questions, sorry, the ROM was certainly a Chinese release but from the moment it booted mine was in English and after flashing the Gapps and wiping I was presented with the google setup where it asks to choose your location, and UK was selected by default. As for working on GSM; I have strong signal and have made/received calls since flashing.

Edited by Hpez

Guest Pondlife

if we want to use cm9 instead of the huawei ics, is it worth installing the huawei update first (to get new baseband/ril?) and then unlocking the bootloader and "downgrading" to cm9?

what's this u8815/c8818/u8800pro stuff - which one is the vodafone ascend g300 as in tesco? can we go straight to the huawei ics from stock 885/882 or do we have to go via this 888 build?

have huawei released the 3.0.8 kernel sourcecode, as cm9 is still using 2.6 it seems?

did paul ever do the tutorial as in:

sim unlock

root

clockworkmod

huawei ics b926

unlock bootloader

is MCR still gingerbread or has it moved to ics yet? i've seen the rooting-only thread.

is there a better armv7 phone with ics for around £100 - what's this acer liquid metal like? not interested in zte skate/blade2 crap.

I've used your roms so know you must be having bad day..

Seen several quotes saying it's booted in English without them changing language.

It seems to be worthwhile installing official first but cm9 isn't near as functional so this seems to be preferable atm

u8815 is uk one, you definitely want 885 update as sorts sound levels somewhat. Not sure if 888 is needed tbh

Erm no clue

No I don't think so. Followed the How to root thread and then the help I'm new and cannot do ones

It's still GB atm

I certainly haven't seen anything better. Only other one I've thought about is the rather dearer and locked shut Orange San Diego

Guest sej7278

I've used your roms so know you must be having bad day..

Seen several quotes saying it's booted in English without them changing language.

It seems to be worthwhile installing official first but cm9 isn't near as functional so this seems to be preferable atm

u8815 is uk one, you definitely want 885 update as sorts sound levels somewhat. Not sure if 888 is needed tbh

Erm no clue

No I don't think so. Followed the How to root thread and then the help I'm new and cannot do ones

It's still GB atm

I certainly haven't seen anything better. Only other one I've thought about is the rather dearer and locked shut Orange San Diego

thanks for the info, i might stay away until cm9 gets better and 3.0.8 sourcecode comes out, i hate using official roms, unless we get a european jellybean that is :)

I wouldn't say the san diego is dear, yes dearer than a G300 but in a whole new dimension to the G300 in regards to performance, build quality. Ok it is locked down, which is a real bitch, but wow! what a device, hopefully sebastion404 will get that root he is working on( good luck seb)

If you want a really good device for a daily driver, the OSD is worth every penny, as long as like me, you have a G300 to play with for root and roms, but it is very early days for the OSD, certainly not a closed book that's for sure.

Guest Hans Gruber

*#*#1357946#*#* is just deleting the input when I type it in for me. I just restored my stock ROM too.

Hm.

That code does now seem to work once flashed to ICS although even with the product code the website still throws up some error, so probably worth just forgetting the official route and just using the .exe

Guest MickJack

everything works as it should so far (including the camera in case anyone was wondering).

Yes, was wondering..............many thanks

Edited by MickJack

Guest t-bon3

Here's what I did, and what happened...

• Flashed the vendor package from the official download from the Huawei site (vendor dir) - OK!

Has anyone tried WITHOUT doing this step, is there anything vital in the vendor package?

Edited by t-bon3

Guest sej7278

I wouldn't say the san diego is dear, yes dearer than a G300 but in a whole new dimension to the G300 in regards to performance, build quality. Ok it is locked down, which is a real bitch, but wow! what a device, hopefully sebastion404 will get that root he is working on( good luck seb)

If you want a really good device for a daily driver, the OSD is worth every penny, as long as like me, you have a G300 to play with for root and roms, but it is very early days for the OSD, certainly not a closed book that's for sure.

really? aren't you finding a lot of apps that don't have atom (x86) support? although i guess that's only ndk stuff. lol, they seem to be using qemu to run the arm apps, but that's fast NOT!

i hate my atom netop and netbook, they're so slow.

doesn't see to be an OSD forum yet, what's its zte codename? oh wait its made by gigabyte the motherboard guys?!

found it: http://www.modaco.co...diegomodacocom/

Edited by sej7278

Guest Rico_89

Hi,

After rereading everything I think I managed to find the answers to my questions on page 7.

Still need some advice though; my phone is completely stock, not rooted etc so I was wondering if it was advisable to root now, install clockwork and make a nandroid back up before I start? I am assuming not as you won't be able to go back to gingerbread anyway, or can you?

Thanks for any info.

Guest anything-but

Has anyone tried WITHOUT doing this step, is there anything vital in the vendor package?

Myself and others have flashed without using the vendor package and works fine.

really? aren't you finding a lot of apps that don't have atom (x86) support?

No just about every app works, of course there will be some but not many.According to market my purchase of GTA3 is incompatible with the OSD, however, taking the apk from my sd card backup, it installs and plays flawlessly with all effects set to full, and gameloft are releasing x86 versions of their games, two of which are on my OSD now and playing great.(Asphalt 6 & Modern Combat 2)

I think as more X86 devices roll out, the app devs will add support for x86.

I have not had or used an atom powered netbook so cannot compare, but the OSD with the 1.6Ghz hyperthreaded Atom processor is very fast, no lag anywhere, ever, a real pleasure to use.

Edited by Guest