[23/07/2013][ICS] Eco CM9 - aiming for stability and battery efficiency

Guest jventura

Guest jventura

Hi there,

made a new build (http://www.multiupload.nl/GM8DDIMP24). It implements the new 16bpp patch by Daemond which should improve memory consumption and speed in some applications..

I have been using it for about 2 hours at most, and I haven't noticed any problems, besides one or two glitches in some applications, nothing terrible noticeable. But it seems that some applications benefit from this. I play a lot of a Sudoku game, and the game seems snappier to me, almost the same as it is in Gingerbread..

No need to wipe data or caches for those who have been using recent previous builds. I only recommend to format "/system", install the ROM and then the gapps package..

As I haven't tested it a lot, if any problems arise from these build, you can report it here. If your ROM stops working (I don't see why it should, but..), reinstall the previous version. In the changelog you have the links for the previous versions..

Edited by jventura

I think I found a bug in this version: autobrightness always shows -1 for me, so it's not changing.

Apart from that, everything seems to be fine, nice work ;)

If you have time, can you consider including patch 7, and maybe 2 from here? It'd be nice, both is changeable from settings :)

I'd also welcome I/O settings (1, 2), but it's not too important, as 3rd-party apps can do this, and maybe this (1, 2) :D

Edited by ziyan

Guest jpblade

Impressions' Report after 6 days of use (27/01/2012 Built)

Doesn't drain battery while phone is idle. Drains a lot of battery while phone calls. In general it is a nice ROM and stable enough, much more "economical" than CM10 that i used to charge twice a day. My only concern is the big battery drain while phone calls but at least my battery lasts much more than 24 hours.

Thanx jventura keep going.

ps. I have screenshot from battery usage but I don't know how to upload :/

Guest jventura

Impressions' Report after 6 days of use (27/01/2012 Built)

Doesn't drain battery while phone is idle. Drains a lot of battery while phone calls. In general it is a nice ROM and stable enough, much more "economical" than CM10 that i used to charge twice a day. My only concern is the big battery drain while phone calls but at least my battery lasts much more than 24 hours.

Thanx jventura keep going.

ps. I have screenshot from battery usage but I don't know how to upload :/

In phone calls, it always drains a lot of battery. It is inevitable, since your phone has to communicate with a cell tower which can be 1.0 Km away, so it needs a lot of power to do that!

But do you have the feeling that this ROM drains more battery than other ROMs? Is your screen always on when on phone call? If yes, you should calibrate the proximity sensor in Settings > Advanced..

To upload a picture, you should use "More reply options", and then you will be able to attach files..

Guest jpblade

One major problem is that after 1 minute of GPS navigation the phone reboots. I tried it 5 times, same result every time :( I use GPS a lot so unfortunately I'm probably gonna change ROM soon.

Guest jventura

One major problem is that after 1 minute of GPS navigation the phone reboots. I tried it 5 times, same result every time :( I use GPS a lot so unfortunately I'm probably gonna change ROM soon.

What apps are you using which cause reboots? I don't have any problem with GPS Status and NDrive..

Guest jventura

I use Sygic...

Could you try to install GPS Status (which is a free app from the Market - just shows the satellites and your position) to see if the problem persists. If not, it must be something with Sygic..

Else, you could try to reinstall the ROM again: format /system, install Eco CM9, install Gapps..

Guest jpblade

Could you try to install GPS Status (which is a free app from the Market - just shows the satellites and your position) to see if the problem persists. If not, it must be something with Sygic..

Else, you could try to reinstall the ROM again: format /system, install Eco CM9, install Gapps..

I will give a try to GPS Status... Tomorrow I will have the results!

Guest jventura

I will give a try to GPS Status... Tomorrow I will have the results!

Ok.. By the way, if you reinstall the ROM as I said, you won't loose your data neither your apps, so it's a perfectly safe procedure! :)

Guest jpblade

Ok.. By the way, if you reinstall the ROM as I said, you won't loose your data neither your apps, so it's a perfectly safe procedure! :)

It worked. Phone didn't reboot ;)

Guest jventura

What exactly not working? Is it that feature in camera?

Not working:

• Panorama

Panorama is a thing that never worked, and it doesn't matter anyway.. The camera itself is working fine (for photos and movies)! Also the FM Radio is not working..

Then, specific things like usb tethering is not working (I don't know what is it for, though.. :) )

Guest jpblade

This rom is really good update of CyanogenMod 9 - Konstakang, battery earning 2-3 days, no drain when not in use unlike most other

(Lasts Built ROM)

I wouldn't say that it lasts for 2 or 3 days (in my occassion) but for sure it is more "economical" than CM10.1.

post-1004383-0-22576000-1360141640_thumb

post-1004383-0-91550600-1360141641_thumb

I dont need panorama feature in camera, just wanted to make sure it is what I think it is. What the fastest/best launcher? Installed apex launcher, works faster and smoother then trebuchet.

Is it possible to flash something like this to this rom?

CM9Battery.png

Guest jventura

I dont need panorama feature in camera, just wanted to make sure it is what I think it is. What the fastest/best launcher? Installed apex launcher, works faster and smoother then trebuchet.

Is it possible to flash something like this to this rom?

CM9Battery.png

Check UOT kitchen! You can upload the SystemUI.apk and framework-res.apk, change the battery style, and download the changed files back..

So my main goal with this topic is to share some ideas regarding improving battery efficiency and ROM stability. Also, I pretend to share some of my CM9 self-builds which are supposed to be pretty stable and thoroughly tested. So, here you won't find state-of-the-art builds (like Coldfusion or KonstaT's builds), but builds which are more stock CM9 and patched with (or without) everything possible to make it more battery-wise.

Awesome aims, I really like the sound of this ROM however I am a Blade 2 owner ;-(

17/12/2012 (http://www.multiupload.nl/GNP9IVXJWQ)

• Fixed Youtube HD and Video Player on Gallery (Ganster's patches at [1])

THIS IS AWSOME :)

Build Instructions (Adapted from KonstaT's CM10.1 instructions)

1. Follow instructions on
initializing a build environment up to a point of downloading the source code.
Initialize CyanogenMod 9 repo.
repo init -u git://github.com/CyanogenMod/android.git -b ics
Create a file local_manifest.xml in .repo folder with the following content

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<manifest>

<project name="joaoventura/android_device_zte_blade" path="device/zte/blade" revision="ics" />

<project name="joaoventura/proprietary_vendor_zte_blade" path="vendor/zte/blade" revision="ics" />

<project name="joaoventura/zte-kernel-msm7x27" path="kernel/zte/zte-kernel-msm7x27" revision="ics" />

<project name="joaoventura/EcoWallpapers" path="packages/apps/EcoWallpapers" revision="master" />

</manifest>

[/code]

[b]Do you think it would be possible to port your ROM to the the ZTE Cresent (Blade 2/OSF 2/Vivacity)?[/b] What would be involved?

It has nearly identical hardware except for a front facing camera and different shape. There is an older CM9 ICS port for the ZTE Cresent (Blade 2/OSF 2/Vivacity) here: It even uses the the Blade's camera driver!

Please let me know, I'd be happy to be beta tester :)

Check UOT kitchen! You can upload the SystemUI.apk and framework-res.apk, change the battery style, and download the changed files back..

Well I'm a bit afraid modifying something in rom. And only searching for best available rom for my gf blade.

Guest jventura

Do you think it would be possible to port your ROM to the the ZTE Cresent (Blade 2/OSF 2/Vivacity)? What would be involved?

It has nearly identical hardware except for a front facing camera and different shape. There is an older CM9 ICS port for the ZTE Cresent (Blade 2/OSF 2/Vivacity) here: http://www.modaco.co...dated-1307/��It even uses the the Blade's camera driver!

Please let me know, I'd be happy to be beta tester :)

I guess only the kernel and prebuilt binaries would be needed to be changed.. If you are willing to try, get my sources and mix them with the CM9 port you have! I won't do it myself, since I don't have a ZTE Crescent, and I have better ways of spending my time.. :)

mmmhh,,

awesome rom for my 256mb ram zte.

but 36% drain battery after 2 hour of stanb by state and 2g+mobile data active....

Definitely you have an application which is consuming your data and preventing your phone from deep sleeping.. Read post #3 regarding battery consumption, specially the "My phone is still draining too much battery, what can I do:"

Well I'm a bit afraid modifying something in rom. And only searching for best available rom for my gf blade.

Well, if you had problems, you could always download again and reinstall.. You shouldn't be afraid when you have the original files to replace in case of problems. But, if you need battery percentage in the notification bar, CM roms have a battery percentage option like this (check picture at http://www.engadget....g-galaxy-s-iii/). The option is in Settings > System > Status Bar > Battery Status Style > Percentage..

I have my ROM with that option on since I used to use battery percentage in Gingerbread. But I prefer the way it is now, than the big circle like it was in Gingerbread! :)

Edited by jventura

if you need battery percentage in the notification bar, CM roms have a battery percentage option like this (check picture at http://www.engadget....g-galaxy-s-iii/). The option is in Settings > System > Status Bar > Battery Status Style > Percentage.

I did that immediately after rom flash. Just my gf really likes that battery circle. I flashed battery circle to my S2. You know women, she wants that one too :D