ZTE CORP VERY NAUGHTY. do you ever read wikileaks?

Guest danmanbad

Guest DMM88

Is it possible for ZTE to have any of our data if we've re flashed out devices with a new ROM?

Yes, I think all custom roms have parts that are copied from the stock roms.

Guest ufizo

Yes, I think all custom roms have parts that are copied from the stock roms.

As far as security is concerned I would say that cyanogenmod is more secure than using stock ROM, as all the source is out there. You can see whatever the programs on your phone do.

Yes,.. you are right, even cyanogenmod has proprietary files copied from the stock ROM, from here : /android/system/device/zte/blade/

But then again,.. I would vote that chances are rare that these files would cause a security issue, and if they did, someone would have pointed it out by now.

Guest blackbart

Seem to remember that on the early chinese leaks, there were some files trying to phone home that the devs killed, possibly thats what those were.

Guest swukjay

The rom makes no difference, the backdoor exploit is in the hardware its self not in the rom, and its a well known fact that a lot of chinese companys have been doing this , the US govt and others had to scrap a load of chips for military use that were made in china due to them having low level backdoor exploits.

Guest Snap.IT

The rom makes no difference, the backdoor exploit is in the hardware its self not in the rom, and its a well known fact that a lot of chinese companys have been doing this , the US govt and others had to scrap a load of chips for military use that were made in china due to them having low level backdoor exploits.

Any link to back up what you're saying because i find this HIGHLY unlikely.

Guest fonix232

This is bullsh*t. Yes, a few beta ROMs (most notably the Gingerbread stock what got leaked before release) had a few diagnostic apps what reported back to ZTE, containing a bit more than required personal information, but those were removed. The CM repos only contain stock binary files, none of them what are actually spy-files or spy-apps. Most of these proprietary apps were replaced with manufacturer ones (for example, the EGL files), but there are a few bits what we have to rely on the ZTE files (RIL for one example, but you'd notice on your phone bill if that was doing anything). Please, stop spreading chaos here, ZTE isn't up to anything with the phones. Besides, what could they do with the naughty messages you write to your girlfriend?

CM is totally safe, believe the developers. Please note that the linked wikileaks article points out, that the devices what were spied on were located in dictatoric states, not democratic countries. Those states probably ORDERED the spy-able phones, as they usually have full control on the import, and only allowed tech can get through the borders.