Nexus 7 Review

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Mtman1
haha, i'll probably still get one tbf even though it does piss me off. I wish asus would have released the original Memo 370T. I'm sure theres plenty of jelly bean tabs on their way though, so suppose there will be something for everyone anyway.

Tbh if I were you, I would wait and see if asus release a nexus 7 with a an SD card slot or a 32gb version

Guest PaulOBrien

There definitely won't be a Nexus 7 with a microSD slot. It is a shame, you're right, I should have added it to the 'cons' list, i'll do that.

P

Guest glossywhite

Many thanks Paul. Any word on an Asus only, no Google idiocy, version of the tablet? They had a working 370T design ...

Who do you think develops Android? Why is it "Google idiocy", when their amazing system makes it work seamlessly? I am not a fanboy by the way - just asking.

No Google, no Android; no Android, no Nexus 7... kapiche? :P

Edited by glossywhite

Guest scrags72

Hi Paul, I've got a Nexus 7 running JRO03D (MoDaCo Custom ROM Jr5) and a Samsung Galaxy Nexus running JRO03C (MoDaCo Custom ROM Jr2) and cannot get NFC working between the two. Is there a known issue with NFC and Modaco ROM's?

Thanks for your help.

Jared

Guest PaulOBrien
Hi Paul, I've got a Nexus 7 running JRO03D (MoDaCo Custom ROM Jr5) and a Samsung Galaxy Nexus running JRO03C (MoDaCo Custom ROM Jr2) and cannot get NFC working between the two. Is there a known issue with NFC and Modaco ROM's?

Thanks for your help.

Jared

No, nothing I've changed that should cause an issue?

P

Guest TehStalker

Spam? Seriously... this must of taken ages to write, all of which I read and it's a great review. This helped me make my mind up and thanks Paul!

I think he is referring to the gmail screenshot. Paul has "999+" messages in his spam folder.

Guest diginose

Hi Paul,

I haven't received my device yet, but I thought you might be able to weigh in on dispay stuff.

I'm sure that you are aware of the display issues, particularly the "Intensity Scale" calibration.

http://www.displaymate.com/news.html

I wonder if this can be remedied? If it's a calibration issue can it be adjusted?

Thanks!

Guest adyhooper

Nexus 7 is an android tablet which is running on latest android OS Jelly Bean and powered by powerful 1.2 GHz quad-core ARM Cortex-A9 processor. It has 1 GB RAM and capable for 8 or 16 GB flash memory. It has 7 inch multi touch display, 1.2 MP front camera and best internet connectivity.

Guest goatee

Transformers is only streamed if you don't download it ;).

<snip>

Transformers is streamed, and books aren't that exciting. A few actual clips, or some mp3's would have been good. Also a game or some kinda of interactive app, you know something to play with when you first get it, but before you settle down and start using it in anger.

Guest cjb110

Transformers is only streamed if you don't download it ;).

ok, true, but its also not on the device...so you can't do anything with it without wifi.

Guest andybarker

I think that if Google had produced a fully packed device, then the OEMs would be screwed as there would be very little for them to differentiate from the reference design that the Nexus 7 basicaly is.

For a lot of users the Nexus 7 is great. Maybe not perfect, but damn good value for money. Other devices will come out with a MicroSD slot, better camera, USB port, HDMI port, etc.

Guest mariovirgili

It seems that there is not normal speaker to place calls without using headsets out loudspeaker. So no way to take a call you Bluetooth is down of battery or earphones have been left at home :(

Guest Furiael

To is it looks like a nice thing, and some things can be fixed with third-party apps. Still, I wonder about the WiFi part at the launch... If it isn't online, I cannot use it?!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest twins.7

Thank's paul. The review is great. But the tablet shouldn't have a Nexus name. Nexus must produce with great effort, not best effort :)

And since the Apple win versus samsung, google must be creative produce new design. I love apples, but hate apple :)

Guest andybarker

The Nexus line is meant to define a minimum standard that Google expect from manufacturers, not the highest spec device possible. Otherwise the manufacturers can't differentiate their products!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.