Boot to Gecko - Worth a Shot?

Guest razzmataz1478

Guest oscar-mark

But when you say it can be flashed through recovery do you mean like it's a ROM but harder to flash.

And will I keep recovery after I've flashed it?

Will we have to "port" it?

Guest tilal6991

But when you say it can be flashed through recovery do you mean like it's a ROM but harder to flash.

And will I keep recovery after I've flashed it?

Will we have to "port" it?

No no. It'd be like any other ROM.

Guest razzmataz1478

Ok, and you're "porting"/testing it?

You build it from source, just like Android. The thing is, Firefox OS seems to like Armeabi-v7a, not ARMv6...so it's getting it to boot, which Lalit may have already done.

Guest oscar-mark

You build it from source, just like Android. The thing is, Firefox OS seems to like Armeabi-v7a, not ARMv6...so it's getting it to boot, which Lalit may have already done.

OK, so Lalit is building it for the Skate.

Will it work? Really excited about a whole new OS.

Guest razzmataz1478

OK, so Lalit is building it for the Skate.

Will it work? Really excited about a whole new OS.

It will work, with a few hacks.

Guest Mtman1
This sounds cool.

I'm worried about the app availability though...

Don't be. The apps are apparently much easier to program than Android (whether this is true or not I don't know)

Guest oscar-mark

Don't be. The apps are apparently much easier to program than Android (whether this is true or not I don't know)

Can you "convert" apps to HTML?

Guest Mtman1
In all fairness, anything is easier to code for than android...
I'm sure there are harder things to code for... *cough*iOS*cough*

Guest iReece

I'm sure there are harder things to code for... *cough*iOS*cough*

Much easier than this, considering the amount of considerations to take.

Phone models

Android versions

Etc

With iOS, the coding platform MAY be harder, but it doesn't have severe fragmentation like android.

Guest thabeat

If it's made with webpages does that mean it'll basically be infinitely customisable? To be honest the default theme leaves a lot to be desired.

I was talking to the Mozilla guys in the MWC in Barcelona, and allegedly you were supposed to be able to change EVERYTHING just by css. Menus, and core applications... It will be very nice or maybe a total chaos with lots of themes with little changes made here and there.

But mainly I think it's a good idea.

Guest rangeoshun

So. B2G is also a Linux based OS.The minimum requirements are ARMV6 600 MHz with 256Mb RAM. So it should work on a Skate. The demo phone was a Galaxy S2. Their targets are indeed android capable phones.

It has a special rendered called Gaia, for displaying HTML5 content, and shouldn't be compared to androids webview.

All hardwares will be available from JavaScript APIs, lots of potencial free apps. Even Adobe and Qualcomm stated they support this project. Hopefully wont disappear like webOS :)

And as always, thank you Lalit and all the devs for your work!

Guest ornigod

https://wiki.mozilla.org/B2G/HardwareRequirements this the oficial hardware requirements, another OS for smartphone but any know http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inferno_(operating_system)

http://youtu.be/dF_-jQc53jw

Ports

Inferno runs directly on native hardware and also as an application providing a virtual operating system which runs on other platforms. Applications can be developed and run on all Inferno platforms without modification or recompilation.

Native ports include: x86, MIPS, ARM, PowerPC, SPARC.

Hosted or Virtual OS ports include: Microsoft Windows, GNU/Linux, FreeBSD, Plan 9, Mac OS X, Solaris, IRIX, UnixWare.

Inferno can also be hosted by a plugin to Internet Explorer. Vita Nuova said that plugins for others browsers were under development, but they were never released.[3]

Inferno is also ported to Openmoko,[4] Nintendo DS,[5] SheevaPlug.[6] and Android.[7]

Guest omegavesko

I would love to see something other than android on a skate. Could be like wp7 for the hd2

Won't happen. Android was ported to the HD2, a Windows phone. The reverse is impossible as Windows Phone is closed source, while Android is not.

Guest razzmataz1478

It says its recomended a GPU like adreno 200 so Skate and Blade are In the recommended specifications!

Go any lower than having that GPU and you'll be in wildfire territory aka no GPU at all. So don't make it as our GPU is the minimum standard, take it as you need a GPU or it won't run.