Available Ram

Guest Donkey Oaty

Guest Donkey Oaty

I'm running B886 and according to both task killer and the settings section, I regularly only have 50mb of memory free. If I kill all tasks I get around 100mb. Is this normal? My blade reports over 200mb free.

Looking at running processes I'm missing 100mb somewhere.

Guest Maximus9

On mine, using Settings/Applications/Running services, RAM usage is 169MB used, 168MB free.

I I have 15 processes running. The strange thing is that I have 2 Maps running, don't understand why, since nothing using the gps is running far as I can see.

Can you post the same info ? I am on B888.

Guest warwound

The strange thing is that I have 2 Maps running, don't understand why, since nothing using the gps is running far as I can see.

I'm pretty sure that the Android Maps app auto starts when your mobile boots so it's quicker to display if/when required.

You can install ES Task Manager and select it's Startup Manager to see what apps auto start at boot on your device - and can disable any you don't want to auto start.

Martin.

Guest Donkey Oaty

I have restarted my phone and regained ram. I haven't turned the phone off in weeks but now I have 170mb free. I too have 2 instances of maps running.

Guest Maximus9

It's just that I check the running processes often and I don't remember seeing 2 instances of anything until now. Must be an upgrade that introduced this "feature".

Guest clarkkov

Android uses RAM similarly to OS X and Ubuntu (Linux). It's actually it's goal to use up as much RAM as it can, because it will execute those processes faster from RAM than from an SD card (or internal storage w/e). And if you need RAM for another process Android will release all needed RAM for that process to run smoothly. There are a few apps that are "stupid" and don't empty the RAm them selves but ask the user to empty it for them but they are few as I said.

Why would you want your RAM to stay unused anyway?

Task killers can clear up your RAM but this way they will slow your phone down. You can check out which apps use up the most RAM and uninstall them, like Google Maps, Facebook, twtr apps, some games run in the bg from boot, too, like Front line commando etc.

Guest Donkey Oaty

I was finding that go launcher home screen transitions were becoming very sluggish. Once I killed apps using task killer it speeded up noticeably. Now I've rebooted things seem better all round

Guest wso277

I'm pretty sure that the Android Maps app auto starts when your mobile boots so it's quicker to display if/when required.

You can install ES Task Manager and select it's Startup Manager to see what apps auto start at boot on your device - and can disable any you don't want to auto start.

Martin.

Thanks for that app. I was looking for a startup manager.

Guest clarkkov

I was finding that go launcher home screen transitions were becoming very sluggish. Once I killed apps using task killer it speeded up noticeably. Now I've rebooted things seem better all round

Some apps are actually running in the bg (doing something) and this is different from just sitting in stand by. If you are rooted you can try to install LBE security app and set it to prompt you when an app requires to refresh your location data or to get access to your contacts, call logs etc. You will be surprised to see what happens in the bg while you're using your phone for other totally unrelated stuff. For example, Google maps constantly refreshes your location data in the bg and this can slow your animations down, Google play constantly checks for updates when you go on line, FB refreshes your messages and notifications. You can stop this to an extent by disabling the bg data option or to reduce maximum allowed bg processes in the developer options menu if you're on ICS. When you reboot your phone some apps like FB will not be loaded thus giving you more free RAM and they won't use CPU cicles, but as soon as you start the app, even if you close it afterwards it will leave a couple of processes that use your CPU in the BG - not even task killers can prevent this as they will kill the app, but services and subservices will still keep running in the bg. notice that there is a difference between the "running" and "stand by-ing". Even if you have 100 MB of free RAM you can still get lags because f.e. FB will refresh your friend requests.