#askmodaco - the ZTE Grand X and Huawei Honor are here!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

Well how about that for timing - two interesting new 'mid range' devices arrived today at the MoDaCo office... the ZTE Grand X and the Huawei Honor. And i'm here to answer any questions!

Although different in a lot of ways, the devices have a number of similarities too. They are both to be priced around the £200 mark (the Grand X will be £189.99 on Virgin Mobile prepay, the Honor is £199.99 at Expansys), they are both from Chinese manufacturers that really trying to up their game and they both have some unique identifying hardware features.

First up the Grand X.

The Grand X is being touted by ZTE as a gaming device, thanks to it's Tegra 2 processor (1GHz Dual Core). While Tegra 3 is all the rage now, Tegra 2 is no slouch and the Grand X is particularly interesting as it's one of the first devices to have the Tegra processor paired with Nvidia's own Icera modem. This device also includes 512MB RAM, a 4.3" QHD screen, 5 Megapixel camera, 4GB ROM, microSD expansion and a 1650mAh battery. Ice Cream Sandwich comes as standard.

So to the Honor.

The Honor, AKA the U8860, comes with a 1.4GHz single core Scorpion CPU, 512MB RAM, a 4" FWVGA screen, 8 Megapixel camera, 4GB ROM, microSD expansion and a rather monstrous 1900mAh battery. Gingerbread is shipped on the device with ICS available shortly (or now if you fancy using unofficial channels!)

So ZTE are playing the gaming angle with Tegra, and the stand out feature of the Huawei should be the battery life with that 1900mAh cell in there (changeable too). But how do they fare in real life?

I'll be doing reviews of both, but in the meantime, #askmodaco any questions you may have! :)

If you already own either of these devices (or you're planning to buy) i'm interested too... feel free to post here or in the Grand X or Honor forums!

grandxhonor.png

Click here to view the item

Guest UnbelievablyScrewed

Does the 512MB ram act as a major drawback? I'm thinking of this as a back-up phone :P

For anyone that knows.... :D

Edited by UnbelievablyScrewed

Guest TouchyAndalou

What's your take on the camera and video recording quality of the Grand X. Is there a noticeable improvement over previous ZTE devices?

Guest scuzzbucket
how easy do you think either will be to root and all that?(recovery)

Honor has root etc already. ROM options like DianXinOS and MIUI are available.

Guest PaulOBrien

So what's the score with the Nvidia modem? Does it use less power, good signal, is it a huge leap in tech?

That's the idea. Better integration = more efficient!

Bootloader status(es)?

TBC!

how easy do you think either will be to root and all that?(recovery)

I imagine they will be very easy!

P

Guest fahim.yaqoob

I hope you test these out. And do you think zte's claim as the grande x being an amazing gaming device actually true.

Guest weckl

The main advantage of the Huawei Honor is that Emotion UI will be also available for the Honor. The 1900 mAh battery is also a winning feature ! I can get a brand new Honor from China for only 174 pounds (220 euros). Send me a message if interested. :-)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.