[MOD] Dual Boot on the ZTE Skate [Updated - 09/08]

Guest tilal6991

Guest tilal6991

This guide will allow you to dual boot your phone between two ROMs.

Thanks for the original method to:

• Guys on the Blade forum - especially android@sam

The way it works:
    • One ROM is flashed as normal onto the NAND of the phone (referred to as the "NAND ROM" in the guide)
    • One ROM uses two specially created partitions in the sdcard to boot the system (referred to as the "SD ROM" in the guide)
    • Two script files which can be run from the ROMs allow you to switch between the two.

The Guide (with optional Link2SD instructions in brackets):
      1. Download your two ROMs - one of them will have to be a ROM in the second post. The other one can be anything. Support for more ROMs will be added in the future.

2. Download the required updater-script and bootsd.img files from the second post as well as the generic scripts.zip.

3. (Optional) Download the Link2SD script file.

4. Make a copy of the downloaded bootsd.img and rename it boot.img.

5. In the SD card ROM - open with an archive manager - eg 7-zip - and replace the boot.img with the one from the above step - just drag and drop the file into the archive.

6. In the same manner as the above step, inside the archive, navigate to META-INF/com/google/android and replace the updater-script with the downloaded one.

7. Connect your phone to the computer and mount USB mass storage.

8. Make a backup of your SD card (IMPORTANT but optional).

9. Download and install a disk editor (eg. EaseUS partition master for Windows or gParted for Linux).

10. Load up the partition editor and make sure you can see your phone and are working with it - BE CAREFUL THAT YOU ARE NOT ERASING/MESSING WITH A HARD DISK IN THE NEXT STEP.

11. Get rid of all the existing partitons.

12. Create a primary FAT32 partiton leaving 500MB (750MB if Link2SD is to be used) free space at the end.

13. Create a primary EXT3 partiton of 250 MB.

14. Repeat the above step.

15. (Optional) Repeat again if Link2SD is to be used.

16. Apply the changes. So, the disk should have a primary FAT32 partition and two, primary 250MB EXT3 partitions (three if using Link2SD).

17. Restore your backup of the SD card and copy the modified SD card ROM and the non-modified NAND ROM to the FAT32 partition.

18. Extract the scripts ZIP and rename it "multiboot".

19. Extract the boot.img from the NAND ROM and copy it into the "multiboot" folder, naming it "bootnand.img"

20. Copy the earlier download bootsd.img into the "multiboot" folder

21. Copy the enitre multiboot folder into the root of the SD card

22. Reboot into recovery

23. Wipe data/factory reset the phone

24. Install the NAND ROM

25. Install the SD card ROM

26. Reboot into system

27. Your SD card ROM should now load up - you are done!
      28. (Optional) Flash the Link2SD zip package from the second post

NOTE: If you are using a CM ROM you will also need to perform the updater script replacement for GAPPs as well before installing GAPPs. An updater-script for JB GAPPs is provided on the second post.

Switching between ROMs:

[*]Your ROM needs to be rooted for this to work!

[*]Download and install terminal emulator from the market

[*]Type:

• su
        • cd /sdcard/multiboot
        • Type either:

• sh bootsd.sh - to boot into SD card ROM
        • sh bootnand.sh - to boot into NAND ROM

Guest little pea

all i can say is swwweeeeeeeeet!!!!!

but heres a question? do you have to have a decent class micro sd as in a class 4 or sumit????

i have a 32gb micro sd but i cant tell what class it is because it doesnt say on sd and i have a samsung 8gb class 2 micro sd will that be fast enuff to load?????

Guest tilal6991

all i can say is swwweeeeeeeeet!!!!!

but heres a question? do you have to have a decent class micro sd as in a class 4 or sumit????

i have a 32gb micro sd but i cant tell what class it is because it doesnt say on sd and i have a samsung 8gb class 2 micro sd will that be fast enuff to load?????

Should be. I think I'm using a Class 4 one.

Guest tilal6991

ok cheif but is this dual boot actually working????

have you dual booted this morning :-) lol

Yep. Switching between Mokee and CM10. CM10 on sdcard. Mokee on nand. Both running beautifully.

Guest utternoob

Wow. If Only I were brave enough. Read the blade thread, seems a bit complicated really. Re-partitioning the sd-card twice, my 4gb probably won't last long, not enough space

Guest tilal6991

No worries. If you got through unlocking the phone this is much simpler than that. The Blade guide is not written in a great manner IMHO. I will try to make it as easy as possible.

Guest utternoob

Never unlocked it, didn't need to, and when I tried link2sd guide, kept corrupting the card (probably due to putting data on too soon) but I'll have a go. Got a 1gb partition already, will that go?

Guest utternoob

Great. Will try it at some point when done. Can the two ROMs be swapped? On the blade thread it says init.rc and updater script need modifying so it shouldn't be too hard right?

Guest android@sam

Nicely explained thread!will try to update mine one in such a nice manner.

THANKS!!!

Edited by android@sam

Guest tilal6991

I think you should give credits to original dev for this :P

Second and third lines of the first post lol

Thanks for the original method to:

• Guys on the Blade forum - especially android@sam

Guest android@sam

Second and third lines of the first post lol

sorry!I missed that.Anyway,I have edited the above post after getting the my mistake.

SORRY AGAIN!!

Guest razzmataz1478

I have a problem....

... I do all and when i go to install the NAND Rom It say me Can´t mount /sdcard :S

You either don't have an sd card or mount points are wrong...