app auto updates and the open with dialogue

Guest Smiff2

Guest Smiff2

any way to tell android to keep its file type associations and not throw that dialogue after any app update?

it's pointless and confusing for many users, they don't know to check that box to stop it asking, and/or they choose the wrong app and then have no idea how to clear defaults.

thanks.

Guest Smiff2

hmm not sure if i posted in wrong place, or no one else bothered by this?

i meant really for family i set phones up for, but just today i was prompted on pressing Home for launcher choice several times for no apparent reason.

Guest nvkid909

Normally if you have more than one app that can do a task it will prompt you to which one - you just tick the box to use as default & it won't ask you again*

*If an apps permissions have changed, it may ask you again - but only because something has changed in the app so you are given the option to allow or deny it. Repeat the step above & it won't ask you again - that is, until the app has an update that requires your permission. It's for your security!

You don't have to have apps updating from the play store automatically - if you do, they will only prompt for your attention if the apps' permissions have changed, & they want you to review it first before allowing or denying it.

I think you need to point this question at the makers of the apps, as they're the ones who develop the app & give it new permissions, that of course, require yours ;)

Edited by nvkid909