Correct way to unmount OTG SD card reader?

Guest CIM1

I just got an OTG cable and tried the free Nexus Photo Viewer app to look at some jpgs on and SD card fitted in a Veho USB card reader.

The app seemed to work OK and when I was done trying it, I disconnected the device in the program and closed the program, put the tablet into standby and pulled out the cable.

Seems the Tablet did not like this and locked up completely (blank screen). Had to "on-off button long press" to reboot it.

The LED on the Veho sits there occasionally blinking the tablet is in standby - even though the app is not running. So presumably that is not a good state to remove the device.

BTW I don't think this is a Nexus Photo Viewer issue - I repeated this after a reboot without running the app (although when plugging in the cable the app asked if I wanted to run it, I said no).

Anyway my question is - apart from powering down the Tablet completely, how else can I remove the OTG device without a Nexus 7 lockup?

Yes it is not anything to do with the app - I uninstalled it to double check.

I can operate and then disconnect a USB keyboard and mouse OK but plugging in a veho USB-SD adapter with a SD card in it seems to be a problem.

However further experimenting indicates that if I pull out the USB cable while the Nexus is not in standby and consequently the Veho adapter LED is lit, it is OK. It is only when I physically disconnect while the led is out, i.e. while the tablet is in standby - it locks up.

Seems counter-intuitive to have to unplug with power on but I suppose it is Ok if no app is accessing the card.

Be interesting to know if other USB-SD adapters show the same behaviour on an unrooted nexus 7?

Guest sandozer

I just got an OTG cable and tried the free Nexus Photo Viewer app to look at some jpgs on and SD card fitted in a Veho USB card reader.

The app seemed to work OK and when I was done trying it, I disconnected the device in the program and closed the program, put the tablet into standby and pulled out the cable.

Seems the Tablet did not like this and locked up completely (blank screen). Had to "on-off button long press" to reboot it.

The LED on the Veho sits there occasionally blinking the tablet is in standby - even though the app is not running. So presumably that is not a good state to remove the device.

BTW I don't think this is a Nexus Photo Viewer issue - I repeated this after a reboot without running the app (although when plugging in the cable the app asked if I wanted to run it, I said no).

Anyway my question is - apart from powering down the Tablet completely, how else can I remove the OTG device without a Nexus 7 lockup?

I had the identical fault and thought I had a Nexus 7 failure as it would not power up. There are other forums with similar issues indicating there is a potential for this to happen. My solution is to power down the Nexus 7, then unplug the flash memory.