#askmodaco - The £150 dual SIM Acer Gallant Duo is here

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

£150. Dual SIM. 1GHz Processor with 1GB RAM and 4GB storage + microSD. Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich. 4.3" qHD display. The Acer Liquid Gallant Duo promises much, but is it the new budget champion?

Our unit has arrived and we're going to be putting it through it's paces! In the meantime, if you have any questions about it, we're here to answer them. Fire away! :)

lgd.png

Click here to view the item

The big question is... "is it £50 better than the Huawei Ascend G300?"

Looking at the comparison for your £50 you get...

- Larger, higher density screen

- 1Gb RAM instead of 512Mb

- ICS

- Bluetooth 3.0 instead of 2.1

I would love a fuller review/comparison between the two phones. A lot of people will be trying to decide between them.

Honestly if you are thinking of buying the Huawei G300 then spend the extra on this phone. The jump in specs is worth the money and the extra ram will make a difference.

I don't have one but personally I would buy this over the Huawei. Even buy this over the ZTE Grand X.

edit: ok maybe not the Grand X as this Acer is only single core.

Guest PaulOBrien

What processor is in the phone? Are both SIM slots full size? Is it completely stock Android? Any idea if a JB update is planned?

Finally.. where can we buy it?

MTK6575 processor, 1GHz single core. Not the fastest but it is only £150! Stock Android with a few tweaks like notification toggles...

The big question is... "is it £50 better than the Huawei Ascend G300?"

Looking at the comparison for your £50 you get...

- Larger, higher density screen

- 1Gb RAM instead of 512Mb

- ICS

- Bluetooth 3.0 instead of 2.1

I would love a fuller review/comparison between the two phones. A lot of people will be trying to decide between them.

And dual SIM,t he main seller!

How does the dual SIM function work in practise vs voice/text/data in/out?

@fibblescan - expansys are selling them

You can choose which SIM is used for voice / messages / data, either on the fly or with a preset. You can also assign calls to particular contacts to go over a specific SIM!

P

if you put only one sim card, do you get only one icon with signal in notification or does the phone display an icon in notification with no signal for the missing sim too? (no very clear I realize)

Honestly if you are thinking of buying the Huawei G300 then spend the extra on this phone. The jump in specs is worth the money and the extra ram will make a difference.

I don't have one but personally I would buy this over the Huawei. Even buy this over the ZTE Grand X.

edit: ok maybe not the Grand X as this Acer is only single core.

But from what I read on the web the camera isn't good on the acer, on the huawei it seems to be much better! Looking forward to see what paul can tell us in is review about that.

I'm on a GiffGaff goody-bag so it's not a big deal for me, unless I missed something?

Dual SIM is the holy grail for those with company phones who don't want to carry two phones. Also if you live in a week signal area you can switch between networks easily.

How likely is a custom rom? CM9/AOSP? :D Or at least that annoying bounce-back animation can be disabled and only glow instead? Jelly Bean update?

How is the crazy-placed power button?

Guest Taysider

How likely is a custom rom? CM9/AOSP? Or at least that annoying bounce-back animation can be disabled and only glow instead? Jelly Bean update?

How is the crazy-placed power button?

I wouldn't worry about custom rom's they will come. Wouldn't be surprised if some XDA dev's are already working on it, like the guys over at the Acer liquid S100

Is it a worthy upgrade from the orange san fransisco/zte blade? As I am looking for something with a better screen and better/smoother responsiveness as the blade is starting to feel a little slow. Was ideally looking for a dual core but does this have acceptable performance?

@darnit

exactly my situation, coming from Blade this MTK6575 is also nice (beats G300 easily) SoC, but i'd like to stick to dual-core (6577) i think it's more future-proof (i'm buying phone for at least 1 year) and it's just a few more bucks expensive on chinese sites (even cheaper than this Acer)

@Taysider

okay, but the S100 had a more common/spread/open chipset, i guess

Guest PaulOBrien

What's your GPS signal like Paul? I just tried navigation on mine and had to give up as I couldn't get locked on to one.

Did you enable the A-GPS option in settings? I have...

I've just grabbed 'GPS Test' from the Play Store and stood in the garden for a couple of minutes, watched it find the satellites then got a fix. Obviously it'll be quicker from now forward...

P

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.