The ViewSonic VSD220 - 22" of Android goodness

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

How much of what you do on your PC could you do in Android? How about Android on a 22" display? Quite a lot right? Introducing the VSD220 from ViewSonic - a 22" monitor with Android 4.0 built right in!

The VSD220 is a full HD (1920x1080) LED monitor with multitouch that incorporates a 1GHz dual-core TI OMAP4428 processor, 1GB RAM, 8GB internal storage and microSD expansion. Connectivity is provided by Ethernet, Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n and Bluetooth V2.1 while the monitor input is unusually a micro HDMI connector. USB ports take the form of 2 x Type A and 1 x microUSB.

A 1.2MP webcam with integrated microphone for videoconferencing and photo taking is also built in together with SRS Premium Sound speakers.

Software wise it appears that the VSD220 includes Ice Cream Sandwich with GMS certification - the Google Play Store is included!

It's definitely an interesting product but as the first of this type, it's going to be intriguing to see how it all hangs together. I think it'd be great to use with a PC, using the PC for more intensive tasks but the Android part for simple browsing... but can the two share the keyboard / mouse? How are the various peripherals shared between Android and potentially a host PC? It's going to be fun. ;)

The VSD220 Smart Display will be available in North America in mid-to-late October priced at $399 with European availability to be confirmed. You can find more details at the ViewSonic website.

vsd220pic.png

Click here to view the item

Guest everett_psycho

I like the principal but maybe not at such a price. If they lowered the price to more around $100 more than the equivalent monitor maybe, I'd happily take a dip in specs as it would only be used for quick checking of e-mails or Facebook where booting the PC isn't really needed. It could also do with a USB hub that can switch between set to work with the android os or the PC you've attached

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.