Mobile MoDaCo - BETA

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul [MVP]

The page width problem occurs when there is a long URL, or on the index screen where microsoft.public.smartphone.developer is too long.

I've tried everything, but can't limit the width and force wrap!

Anyone got any ideas?

P

Guest Matt Whitfield

I guess you'll have to add some PHP code to look at the length of the string containing the forum/topic names and stick a break in at the appropriate place...

Guest Matt Whitfield

Just had a look at the phpBB code - yeah I think that would suck...

How about changing your table width from 100% to a fixed width that you know fits on the SPV screen. That way I think the text will have to wrap in problem cells...

Guest Matt Whitfield

It doesn't like it because there are no spaces in the forum title, just dots... I've been looking at Index Dot HTML (great online HTML reference btw) for some sneaky tags to sort it, but no luck yet... I'm hacking around with a local version of your index page, so if I get lucky I'll give you a shout...

Guest Paul [MVP]

Cool, cheers dude.

The index page isn't the main problem (I could make it render the forum as ms.pub.sp.developer), but in actual topic bodies there are sometimes long URLs that cause the same problem.

P

Guest Gorskar

Ah just noticed this: (on http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.wordwrap.php) There is some good advice there by some clever people.

If you're having problems with a small fixed width table/table cell being stretched by people typing entering long text (such as a URL or an email address), then one (MSIE only, unfortunately) solution is to use style="table-layout:fixed" in the tag.  This will break any words that would normally expand your table and mess up your layout.  

wordwrap() can't help in this situation because you want to wrap if the text is wider than X pixels, rather than X characters, which of course PHP has know way of knowing.

Guest Matt Whitfield

Gorskar, that does actually prevent the table cells from expanding past the table width you set in pixels, the only problem is that is truncates anything that is bigger!

Not perfect, but maybe better than horizontal scrolling...

Guest bdmoore
Ah just noticed this: (on http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.wordwrap.php) There is some good advice there by some clever people.  

Quote:  

If you're having problems with a small fixed width table/table cell being stretched by people typing entering long text (such as a URL or an email address), then one (MSIE only, unfortunately) solution is to use style="table-layout:fixed" in the

wordwrap() can't help in this situation because you want to wrap if the text is wider than X pixels, rather than X characters, which of course PHP has know way of knowing.  

I was looking at some ideas like this earlier (also tried overflow settings), then I discovered the rather annoying fact that PIE doesn't support CSS!! :evil:

Back to the drawing board.... :?

Guest ricmoo2003

i have ust had alook at the site from the SPV and in fact made a post from it (Excellant) but there is one point i would like to make.... It needs to show the page numbers at the bottom, I read through a whole topic and found that i had to go right to the top again to go to the next page..

If it isn't too hard that would be a great update...

Spot on Paul, thanks, just been having a look, and this is just what the SPV has been waiting for.

How cool is this, to get to a forum from your phone! :-)

And it gives up all something to do on the train down to the meet on Saturday!