Google Maps for Android updated

Guest todoleo

The Google Maps for Android application has been updated and now includes a couple of new features and improvements.

In this new version, Google maps introduces single handed zoom. This action is carried out by double tapping on the screen and then sliding your finger vertically to zoom. It takes some getting used to, especially remembering to keep your finger on the screen on the second tap, but works smoothly on all the devices I tested it on.

The other improvement in this latest update is access to your desktop and mobile search history through My Places. As long as you are logged into your Google account in your web browser and/or mobile device, any searches made on the maps website will be available to you in the Maps application. This feature can be very handy to speed up searches on the go.

Let us know how you get on with the new version of Google Maps in the comments, and remember to drive safely and not to test the new features while driving. ;)

Click here to view the item

Guest T39andcounting

I'd like to see the ability to access 'my places' on Android. It'd be useful to create a map on my laptop (places I want to go to today for example), then open that map on my phone. Currently I have to email myself the URL of the map and open on my phone, but it's not a great way of doing it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.