Saw the desktop .. once

Guest Mug UK

Guest Mug UK

Connected it, bunged in a spare 16GB card and inserted my freshly bought wireless keyboard and mouse dongle (got to love Asda!).

But after seeing and using the desktop (I powered it up using a USB phone charger (*)) and I'm assuming that I've clicked on something something (whilst trying to get the language changed to English) and now it just boots up, Google TV logo appears, Android logo appears briefly and then all I get is a black screen. Power cycing causes the same thing over and over.

The blue light comes on but no joy other than the above displays.

Have I borked it somehow? Or will it, using their official power supply + adapter, bring it back to life?

(*) I've not got a USA plug -> UK plug adapter handy, so I used a phone charger. In hindsight, it might not have had enough juice? So I've plugged in a Belkin USA plug -> USB device .. same result in that it powers up but then all I get on my 40" TV is a black screen.

Hmmm .. day 2.

I've upgraded the firmware and it was working long enough (with the phone charger plug) to allow me to input my WiFi password and that's it.

It's gone back to booting up, showing the Google TV logo,then the Android logo and then a black screen.

Is it my TV that's causing the problem? It's a Sony 40" with 4 x HDMI ports. I've tried it in 2 of the four (the other two are my PC and my Xbox 360 - no problems with either of them).

Unfortunately, I don't have any other devices with a HDMI port on them to test it out :(

Any help would be appreciated.

Turns out (according to replies on another forum) that the bog standard PSU that comes with the MK808 doesn't have enough power in it as it only delivers 1A when 2A is the better option.

Guest omegamoon

Seems to be a known issue. I ordered my MK808 at geekbuying. In the device specs over there it says:

"DC 5V 2A (NOW ONLY GEEKBUYING CHANGE THE CHARGER TO 2A, OTHER SELLER STILL OFFER THE 1A CHARGER WHICH WILL CAUSE PROBLEM WHEN USE THIS MK808)"

Guest omegamoon

Colleague found these on ePrey.

http://pages.ebay.co...id=120965279354

Sainsbury's (my local branch) only sold the 1A type. So, as I'm at Play Expo all this weekend, l've ordered the above for next week.

Then I can start adding the spare 1.5TB drive, USB powered hub and gamepad to it

Could you try to retrieve the kernel config? (adb pull /proc/config.gz > cat config.gz | gunzip > defconfig-mk808) Edited by omegamoon

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm having similar issues, boots up, and when I click on any app, it crashes, and sometimes fails to reboot.

I'm also using a 40" Sony TV, and unit is powered from a USB port on it (which is what I assume it is meant to do, and what i have a cable supplied to do, and what i prefer so as not have to plug in elsewhere).

Do I need to power from mains with an adaptor?

EDIT: works from mains with a travel adaptor that has a USB port....so is it the stick/cable or TV at fault?

Edited by smurph