Jiayu G2 Review

Guest aaroNiGHTS

Guest aaroNiGHTS

Anyone that can write up a nice rooting manual?

Working on it! Just needing to confirm things on both single and dual core models. Will be up early in the week!

Guest aaroNiGHTS

Paul posted a method earlier that works on most devices running ICS/JB. I wonder if that would work?

I'd probably say that it would. These China branded devices are never locked down much.

Working on it! Just needing to confirm things on both single and dual core models. Will be up early in the week!

That is really excellent!! Can't wait to get my hands on the little thing!

Guest aaroNiGHTS

My sister wanted a white one, back when only the single core was available. It was a pain to track down, ended up paying a little premium for it. Don't know why but they're rather rare. They look really nice though.

And the root guide is up:

Guest hecatae

would love one of these but would like some good custom roms like miui, paranoid cm etc, is there any development going on?

if there is no kernel source, dont expect aosp, aokp, cyanogemod, miui, paranoid android etc, any time soon.

I'm sticking with Qualcomm and Tegra devices until Mediatek comply with GPL

Guest hecatae

recommend any good chinnese ones that have active cm etc was looking at the xioami one by miui

I've ordered a Xiaomi M1 mi-one, its got decent aosp and miui support

hi guys. just wanted to know whether thes phones work fully in the uk. ive read that 3g might not work.

how would i be able to check if 3g will work in the uk

thanks

Guest aaroNiGHTS

hi guys. just wanted to know whether thes phones work fully in the uk. ive read that 3g might not work.

how would i be able to check if 3g will work in the uk

thanks

The Jiayu G2, like most newer Mediatek based phones, supports 3G over 900 and 2100 mHz. I'm not in the UK (New Zealand, :) woo), but from what I gather for most places you'll be fine. It's difficult to actually find out what providers use what 3G frequencies! If anyone knows more details it'd be great if you could share.

Guest aaroNiGHTS

Go the questions! The only reason to wait for the G3 is if you want the 4.5", 720p screen. They'll both have the same MT6577 processor with the same specs. Bit bigger battery, but that'll probably go toward powering the bigger screen! ;)

Yep, and holding the home button does bring up Androids task switcher. Works great too!

The Jiayu G2, like most newer Mediatek based phones, supports 3G over 900 and 2100 mHz.

If anyone knows more details it'd be great if you could share.

I've found a chart that tells you what frequecies are used for 3G over the world. The only confusing one seems to be the U.S.A., and I would recommend checking with your provider first which bands it is using for 3G.

Most European countries seem to use 2100, which is supported by the G2, and supposedly all other phones with Mediatek chips.

http://www.worldtimezone.com/gsm.html

Cracking review sir, really good read. With regards to the camera, I don't know what people are expecting but those are the best images I have ever seen from an android phone for £100, of course the S3 and OneX will be better but they cost at least 3X as much as this, seems pretty damn good for the price point.

Apparently the G3 has been delayed again, this time supposedly some case issues but to be honest I think Jiayu may have missed the boat on that with the quad core MTK's just round the corner, although I still really like the G3 design. Ill probably pick up a Xiaomi M2 when it drops as my M1 has served me well, but when the quad core MTK phones drop might try and pick up a cheap one too.

Guest aaroNiGHTS

I think the G3 looks a bit ugly, to be honest. I haven't had hands on with a MT6577 device powering a 720p screen. I know that the chip maxes out at that resolution, I'm not sure how much of a hit on performance pushing that many pixels will have.

One more just to keep up the momentum :) : whats the chance of custom roms on this phone? i.e. CM, MIUI, AOKP etc.

Slim. On the eJiayiu board there are a few custom ROM's, but these are just skins over the stock kernal with fancy launchers and icon packs. You probably won't see any real custom ROM's, but the ICS implementation is solid any shoudn't give you any problems.

I've found a chart that tells you what frequecies are used for 3G over the world. The only confusing one seems to be the U.S.A., and I would recommend checking with your provider first which bands it is using for 3G.

Most European countries seem to use 2100, which is supported by the G2, and supposedly all other phones with Mediatek chips.

http://www.worldtimezone.com/gsm.html

Neat chart, looks good for 3G compatibility.

Guest Shahmatt

Thanks very much for the review. I liked it so much I decided to take the plunge and buy! :-o

What convinced me was as follows:

1. IPS screen of just the right size for me

2. Really large battery

3. The dual sim feature, two cores, 1GB RAM

4. A good design that looks non slippery and won't scratch easily

5. The 168 USD price tag for all of the above!

Do we know if the MTK6577 can be overclocked?

Though an established community would usually be my prerequisite, my instinct tells me to chance this one! Oh well, the future will tell.

Guest aaroNiGHTS

Do we know if the MTK6577 can be overclocked?

Though an established community would usually be my prerequisite, my instinct tells me to chance this one! Oh well, the future will tell.

Some cheap clone devices claim to have the 6577 clocked at 1.2ghz, but I'm not sure if this is an actual overclock or just fudged specs and numbers.

Guest Shahmatt

Some cheap clone devices claim to have the 6577 clocked at 1.2ghz, but I'm not sure if this is an actual overclock or just fudged specs and numbers.

Undervolting that CPU to stretch the monster battery would also be nice.

I wonder if ROM developers will take an interest. Oer perhaps it's too late - I see many of them in the Huawei G300 forums! :-/

Edited by Shahmatt

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.