Jiayu G2 Review

Guest aaroNiGHTS

Guest FrankieADZ

In 'About Phone' there should be something (still waiting for mine so can't be specific).

If it mentions the Processor, the MKT6575 is single core and MKT6577 is dual core, otherwise, if the kernel has 'SMP' in the name that should indicate a 'symetrical multi-processor' kernel.

Can't wait for mine to arrive.

do tell us how you find it :)

Think I'll order a G2S when its available :)

Guest Shahmatt

Is the Mediatek CPU the same as ARMv7? Mine says this when I use the hardware info app.

I used the GPS Status app, and after resetting and downloading A-GPS data my GPS seems to work now, albeit at only a maximum accuracy of only about 10m or so. My Blade had a better GPS lock on time and accuracy I think.

I wonder if this is a hardware or software issue. Do we know if the quality of the GPS unit inside the phone can vary signifcantly? Is this the price to be paid for a cheaper phone?

Edited by Shahmatt

Guest Al_1604

From the MediaTek website:

The MediaTek MT6577 features a dual 1GHz Cortex™-A9 application processor from ARM, a PowerVR™ Series5 SGX GPU from Imagination Technologies

The MT6575 platform offers a 1GHz ARM® CortexTM-A9 processer

Guest Al_1604

Aaarg, waiting is not a strong point of mine, paid for DHL (and glad I did), tracking is (more or less) excellent but its STLL NOT HERE!!!:

How much longer must I wait?

:P

Saturday, November 10, 2012 Location Time Friday, November 09, 2012 Location Time Thursday, November 08, 2012 Location Time 11 Departed Facility in LEIPZIG - GERMANY LEIPZIG - GERMANY 03:11

10 Transferred through LEIPZIG - GERMANY LEIPZIG - GERMANY 03:08

9 Departed Facility in HONG KONG - HONG KONG HONG KONG - HONG KONG 11:34

8 Processed at HONG KONG - HONG KONG HONG KONG - HONG KONG 11:31

7 Clearance processing complete at HONG KONG - HONG KONG HONG KONG - HONG KONG 21:40

6 Processed at HONG KONG - HONG KONG HONG KONG - HONG KONG 21:40

5 Arrived at Sort Facility HONG KONG - HONG KONG HONG KONG - HONG KONG 21:34

4 Departed Facility in SHENZHEN - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC SHENZHEN - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC 17:21

3 Processed at SHENZHEN - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC SHENZHEN - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC 17:16

2 Arrived at Sort Facility SHENZHEN - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC SHENZHEN - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC 16:31

1 Shipment picked up SHENZHEN - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC 10:15

[Eit]

Well, hit me with a relatively blunt instrument,

12 Arrived at Sort Facility EAST MIDLANDS - UK EAST MIDLANDS - UK 03:58

11 Departed Facility in LEIPZIG - GERMANY LEIPZIG - GERMANY 03:11

Edited by Al_1604

Guest Shahmatt

Ha! I struggled through the wait too.

I took the free shipping route. What should have arrived in 6 days took about 3 weeks. And tracking was not so good so there were periods where my package appeared to be lost to the world.

Guest CarlosO

I am so sad, I received the mobile phone on wednesday but had no time to play around with it, so I just opened the package and powered the phone up. After that I decided to charge the battery and I did that. Unit was off until today, when I set up the mobile phone, put in the sim card and it worked fine...Until I installed navfree and when I statred up navfree, the device started to show GPS icon top left, after that the screen went black and the phone does not power up any more. Battery was at 84% at the time. I do not know what to do. I took out the battery and left it out for an hour, than reinserted it and tried to power up the mobile. Nothing. I tried to put it on the charger...without battery, the phone does not power up. Also it does not charge or show the charging light neither green led or yellow led on the mobile phone.Any ideas would be much appriciated. Is there another way to charge the battery? Perhaps the battery died? Would the phone start up pluged to the charger, can someone confirm/test that? Kind regards

Would the phone start up pluged to the charger, can someone confirm/test that? Kind regards

Nope. I tested it for you, but the phone does not start if the battery is out/dead.

Btw, My only way to get to ROOT the phone was following this guide: http://www.modaco.co...lickroot-guide/

I've edited the first two parts for convenience:

• If you don't have the correct drivers, download the Android SDK kit and follow the instructions to install the driver. It should be Android ADB Device after installation.
  • Download this package, extract it somewhere
  • Ensure you enabled USB Debugging (Settings -> Developer Options) as well as Installation of Unknown Sources (Settings -> Security -> Unknown Sources is checked)
  • Connect your device (turned on) to the computer.
  • Run the RunMe.bat (to be found in the JYG2.7z file), follow the instructions, I picked "Normal" (1) in the first step.
  • It'll now show a message informing that if it's working it'll tell you, if it's not, it'll run forever, at this point look at the phone. It should be at a "Restore My Data" screen. According to the chinese site, DON'T SET ANY PASSWORD. Just press "restore my data".
  • Your phone will reboot after this.
  • Once rebooted. You have root.

Guest Shahmatt

I am so sad, I received the mobile phone on wednesday but had no time to play around with it, so I just opened the package and powered the phone up. After that I decided to charge the battery and I did that. Unit was off until today, when I set up the mobile phone, put in the sim card and it worked fine...Until I installed navfree and when I statred up navfree, the device started to show GPS icon top left, after that the screen went black and the phone does not power up any more. Battery was at 84% at the time. I do not know what to do. I took out the battery and left it out for an hour, than reinserted it and tried to power up the mobile. Nothing. I tried to put it on the charger...without battery, the phone does not power up. Also it does not charge or show the charging light neither green led or yellow led on the mobile phone.Any ideas would be much appriciated. Is there another way to charge the battery? Perhaps the battery died? Would the phone start up pluged to the charger, can someone confirm/test that? Kind regards

What a shame mate. May I know which company you bought from? Will you lodge in a complaint? Ask for a replacement/refund?

I'm still undecided what to do about my scratched button problem. The phone works fine but the button seems to imply that the part is second hand and has been reused.

It seems that there are some reports of this phone having QC issues.

The reviewer here says that the microphone died on his single core G2:

http://forums.whirlp...archive/1953669

Edited by Shahmatt

Guest Shahmatt

I tried installing NoFrills CPU on the phone, and applying a governor.

It says "Success" but I notice that the frequency does not seem to respond according to governor.

Am I right in assuming that CPU scaling is not enabled in the kernel, and hence NoFrills can change nothing?

Guest Al_1604

It arrived today. Looks great, seems to work fine, screen looks good, touch responsive, performance seems good, no problems so far. :)

Well packaged, quite a few extras (2 batteries, screen protector, plastic ('silicone') case, desk charger, sd card reader, earphones, usb lead, mains charger (not UK plug but I have plenty of mains chargers)).

Can recommend this seller based on my experience: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/404310

Edited by Al_1604

Guest Al_1604

The phone works fine but the button seems to imply that the part is second hand and has been reused.

Can you confirm that you've removed the protective film from the button (mine took a lot of getting off but button underneath is pristine and shiny)?

Guest Al_1604

how's battery life comparing to g300?

So far battery life looks quite good, currenty at 55% after 24 hours of modest use (wi-fi & bluetooth on, data mostly off), G300 would definitely be lower for me after this time with similar useage. And, of course I have the second battery on standby in the handy little desk charger.

[Edit] 36Hours, 15%

Screenshot_2012-11-14-19-23-29.png

Edited by Al_1604

Guest Al_1604

Thanks for this. I tried harder just now to take out the film and wouldn't you know it, it came off!.

I like your avatar, sweet irony there! :D :P

Really glad you're sorted. :)

do jiayu release firmware updates to fix bugs and to roll out android 4.0.4 from 4.0.3? What about new android versions like 4.1? The MT6589 chip is out soon which is quadcore cortex a7 and lots of other nice things, hoping they make a new phone with that chip.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.