We have 5 copies of CoPilot to give away!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Mikey242

I'm Mike, been using Android since my HTC Desire in 2010. My most memorable drive was from my home to the bypass and back lol. I I'm still learning to drive but when I get my licence this would really come in handy!

Guest alfabet

Bought my first Android phone a few years ago - a T-Mobile Pulse which was great thanks to the scene at Modaco. Currently considering what the next bargain will be!

My most memorable drive was arriving in Ottawa with work and picking up a hire car, then navigating the rush-hour traffic - my first time driving a left-hand drive car AND an automatic!

Guest moritz2k

Hi, I love Android since my HTC Hero, of course with the fabulous MoDaCo Custom ROM.

My most memorable road trip was as a co-driver, where I have to guide the driver through the Arc de Triomphe. I was 12 years old ;-)

Guest bruisah

Most memorable journey? Epic solo motorbike ride from Madird to Paris to meet smoe friends and catch the 1999 solar eclipse. I made great time through to the north of Spain, then I crossed into France - I had no French Francs, and I don't speak French so despite continually thinking that I should really stop for the night, I just kept going.

Finally arrived at my destination - Soissons, at 5am, in the middle of a fantastic thunderstorm! 1,000 miles in 17 hours (including one and a half loops round the Boulevard Périphérique in Paris when I missed my exit without realising!).

I had a P910i and a bluetooth GPS unit paired with it, yes this was years ago!

I went shopping with the girlfriend, went on the motorway to try a different route, only to have someone call me, interrupt my sense of direction, even though I was only going straight. Best of the all, the phone froze!

I started yelling at the phone, girlfriend in the passenger seat just laughing hysterically at me :(

Managed to get it sorted as the girlfriend helped with her calm and collective approach, so looks like women are needed, sometimes! Ha

Would love CoPilot on my phone!

I think my favourite road journey was when I was visiting the New Forest on holiday last year.

Jumped in the car and drove from our campsite in Hollands Wood... Not too sure where we ended up, but the scenery was fantastic. Really enjoyed the views over the fields of heather, with the wild ponies and horses, some of which decided to cross the road we were driving on (trick is to slow to a dead crawl, but not stop. When you stop, so do they, right in front of you!)

Sometimes the best journeys are the ones done without any planning whatsoever, but they can also be the worst journeys!

Guest Volvo-ninja

I like Volvo 240 cars as they are so easy to fix.

The most memorable drive was down through France while going on holiday. The pesky sat-nav got a junction wrong which delayed us by about two hours by the time we got past that point. So we were running late and and I had to keep my foot down a bit to get to the camp site at a reasonable time. The only problem was that the bearings in the gear box were complaining at the start and got louder as the journey went on. But we made it there and round about and then home again afterwards without the gear box exploding even if my nerves were a bit frayed!

If I'd had CoPilot on my phone then I'm sure it would have been so much easier!

Guest Gary Crutcher

Hi Paul,

My most memorable drive was out in Napa Valley in California. What a beautiful country drive it was. The valley is covered with wineries and beautiful scenery. You don't want to drive fast as you may miss something. it was fun stopping throughout the drive and visiting some of the wineries to enjoy the good wine tastings but also some very good food. I spent the whole day just cruising around enjoying the sites, food and wine. What a relaxing trip it was!

Guest Blaufeld66

Hi, I'm Andrea from Rome, Italy. I'm 46 yrs old, a big fan of photography and motorbike travels,

and 4 years ago I decide to take a little challenge: do the "Saddlesore 1600K", a run of more than 1600 Km in under 24 hours.

So I took my Moto Guzzi V11, my Garmin navigator and started from Grosseto (Tuscany) at around 05.00 AM of July 29th

goin thru La Spezia, Alessandria, Turin, Milan, Vicenza and back again, totalling 1730 km in 22 hours and being back

in Grosseto at 03.00 AM, tired but VERY happy!!!

Guest Umrtvovacz

Hi, I love Androids since I got my first one. My memorable trip is one with Google navigation, which led me into labyrinth of one way streets, with the one I needed to take closed down. I had to go wrong way in the one way street and people were looking at me angrily, but I got where I needed to. I completely confused the navigation in the process.

Guest Al_1604

Not really much of a memorable trip but shows that satnav should be made 'weather aware'.

Two winters ago (in the bad snow) I had to travel for work from Uppingham (Rutland) to Nottingham. Part way along the A47 my TomTom directed me to turn right at Belton in Rutland (a beautiful village) and I ended up on a narrow single track road which was OK until I got to a steep hill (I think the sign said 12% - I later found it marked with a 'double chevron' on the OS map ) which was completely impassable in the weather conditions (I had a couple of goes). I ended up having to reverse about 1/2 a mile before I found a farm gate with enough space to turn round. The scenery was stunning but the satnav nearly went out of the window (except I still needed it for when I got back to the main road).

Guest mvansluis

Hi, My name is Mathieu. I'm from Holland. I've been using samrtphones since 2005 I think. The firt one was a qtek 2020. I've used about 8. All qtek/htc.

My most memorable drive was in 2004 drive home from Croatia. At one point I was driving 118 mph on the German highway.....in a Renault Twingo. :-)

Hi, I'm Andrew from Latvia. I'm an Android user since last year and got to this site via Tweakdeck when the original Tweetdeck got abandoned.

The most memorable is the examination drive when I finally got my license :)

Guest 3shirts

My most memorable drive is the first time I drove abroad. It was a little hired Seicento in Spain. We had a Nokia 7610, a bluetooth GPS unit and TomTom for Symbian with Spain maps. It was great, we set the villa as home and would just jump in the car and find random points of interest. Knowing we'd always be able to find our way back made it much more relaxing just cruising around the coast and visiting anywhere we liked the look of.

That car took us up some very steep and very rough roads without trouble. Brilliant holiday thanks to the car and the tech.

Guest JaffoCake

Jason, current Android kit is a G300 running ICS and a Xoom running JB.

Most memorable drive was going to Clacton as a kid and we drove down with a hurricane brewing overhead. The clouds looked like a flying saucer from Independence Day or V!

Guest frubble

Hi, I'm Jens and have been an Android user for a few years now, starting with a Samsung Galaxy Spica when it was the first affordable Android phone available here, then a ZTE Blade which died a horrible death in a swimming pool, and now an Acer Liquid Gallant Duo.

One of my most memorable drives was driving home at night through the mountains in France, with a broken alternator. I needed to have the lights on to see on the small mountain road, but the lights were sucking my battery dry. If my battery gave up before getting back to civilization, I would have no chance of getting help, not even knowing my exact location and with probably noone coming by till the next day. Worse, if somebody did come I would be stopped in the middle of the road in complete darkness and with no lights. Luckily I got home shortly before the battery gave out.

Guest Phlegon

It's gotta be driving to London with my Fiance, from Darlington, 5hrs in all, couldn't do the return journey the next day. She taught me motorway driving manners :-)

One thing that sticks though is that, we used my Nokia E71 with an external bluetooth receiver and the excellent Nokia Maps with turn by turn navigation. I've recently got a Huawei G300 but no other gps app can hold a candle to the nokia. Great phone!!

Hi, I'm Martin, started way back in July 2009 with HTC Magic, hooked on Android ever since. Now still with my aging but trusty Galaxy S (the original one). I've even made a few custom ROMs and kernels back in the day. I'm lurking here for the most part, but I follow Paul on Twitter regularly and still keep myself "in the business", so to speak.

I've got plenty of memorable drives over my 20 years of driving (climbing up to Lovcen moutain from Boka Kotorska in Montenegro comes to mind), but one of the most memorable that's also relevant to Android navigation must be our drive from Croatia couple years back. We decided to take a scenic route through Italy and Dolomites, but the weather turned out bad so we thought we'd cut it short and just get back to the highway as soon as possible. Which turned out to be near Tolmezzo. But the navigation kept steering us away in the opposite direction than we were expecting to go and since we experienced quite a few glitches before in Croatia (won't say which navigation it was, but it wasn't CoPilot ;) ), we've decided to just ignore it and follow the signs to Austria. Well, it turned out to be a mistake - in a way. We didn't get to the highway. Instead, we climbed from around 350 meters above sea level in a series of hairpins in a beautiful alpine valley up to a pass at about 1400 meters above sea level between some 2000+ meters hight mountains with snow on top (this was in summer). And then the drive back down on the other side. It was quite intensive (first time I've seen hairpins in a tunnel), but amazing, in a way. We got back to the highway almost four hours later than we would have, but I'd say it was still worth it, in a way. And then we caught a terrible storm near Wien - it was raining so hard we were going at about 40 kph max at highway, the wipers at max and still the windshield looked as if someone's just pouring water on it.

Also, it later turned out that when we finally decided to just ignore the navigation instructions in Italy, we were just about 4km away from the highway :)

Hi I am Ian, started my Android involvement with Advent Vega via Paul, Thanks for that Paul, until I stood on that on holiday, now Galaxy tablet and G300 phone.

Most memorable journey was my first trip abroad with my folks, aged 16, by bus to spain. Journey was supposed to take about 20hrs except it turned into about 48hrs! Firstly driver broke coach by grounding it coming of ferry in Calais, in early hours, had to wait for garage to open to fix, then stopped in pyrenees by forest fires for hours through the night. Lucky white heather.....surpised we made it back in one piece

Never been on a long bus journey again!

Guest DrNicket

My name is Nick and I own a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 4G (16GB).

The drive that is most memorable at the moment is one this summer when driving into Vancouver from Abbotsford, the highway construction led them to create a centre lane 'trench' with cement dividers on either side. It felt like I was making an attack run on the Death Star! Naturally I went back not long later, mounted a video camera (phone) and recorded it!

Which reminds me... I need to upload it to YouTube... heheheh.

I hope I win, but even if I do not, I hope at least one person gets a kick out of my story.

Thank you for reading!

Nick

Guest timfimjim

when driving a 10 minute journey from the nearby village home, we got stuck in the snow. Luckily we had snowchains in the car, and attaching them on in Bradford was quite an experience... We got home in the end!

Guest paholman

The name's Paul, and I love all gadgets that make my life easier.

Most memorable drive, well if I were to pick one, it would be on one of the most important days of any man's life, getting the heavily pregnant missus to the ward in time. It was an ordinary morning, I was working from home on the days leading up to the expected date, and was awoken to a grunting/coughing/choking sound. Now I know what you're thinking, but no it wasn't her, it was our pet border collie who'd swallowed a bit of string from the rope toy she was chewing. The wife was breathing quite heavily at that point, but she said she was fine so we agreed we had to take the dog to the vet. I say "We", but it was "me". The vets is only down the road, but by the time we got there, without going into detail, let's just say the dog wasn't very well on the journey and lost control of its bodily functions. Anyway's, I left the boot open for it to air a bit, and got the dog to the vet who checked her over. They said the incident in the car on the way over must've cleared up whatever it was she was choking on, so all great. Phew! Or so I thought. The mobile rang, and after a few seconds, I was about to hang up on what I thought was some pervert heavily breathing down the line, when I realised it was the missus, and was past the "early signs" of labour and wanting to go to the hospital. I made a quick call to the "in-laws" to check their availability for "dog sitting". Now, I said "sitting"!!!, although with what had happened in the boot that morning, I could've easily said something else, ahem. They also lived round the corner from us, so after dropping the dog off, I rush home, and gently put the missus in the passenger seat, and set off towards the hospital. "Deep breaths" I said before showing her what I mean. We were both inhaling deeply, before the wife, after almost throwing up, asked about the pungent aroma in the back of the car. We wound the windows down, and continued on the journey. I'd done this route many many times, but for the life of me, I don't know why I decide to do a left a the wrong roundabout. Whether it was the aroma in the car, or the carbon dioxide the wife was exhaling with her breathing exercises, I don't know, but what they say about heavily pregnant womon is true, I was called something I'd thought I'd never hear from my wife's pretty, tender little lips. Any other day I would've been deeply offended, but it shocked me to the point, I had to get my act together. I turned around, and finally remember the way. We made it to the hospital with no subsequent mis-haps, thank goodness. It would've made it more memorable if it had, but I think this was bad enough.

Needless to say, the mid-wives checked her over and said she was still "not ready for delivery", so they sent us home. I won't go into the details, but the journey home was just as bad. It was another few hours and several phone calls later to the "labour ward" before we could finally do the trip again, but I did managed to get the car cleaned prior to that journey.

It was a stressful day to say the least, but 30 hours after that, we were rewarded with, our first son. The pressures of that day just didn't matter after that. Any parent reading this would agree that you're lost in the magic and wonders of life at that moment, full of joy and happiness and nothing else matters.

My subsequent memorable drive was bringing my wife and son home a few days later where our life as parents started.

We have two boys now and have since had many more memorable journeys.

Hi i have been using satnav for about 10 years now. My most memorable trip was from London to Athens with a laptop and a usb antenna as a satnav. Driving throu Europe in the winter is fantastic. Had a few problems in the Alps as the maps from microsoft was not so good. I believe CoPilot is one of the best satnav programs ever!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.