UK Vodafone ICS - B936 released OTA !

Guest tcpaulh

Daz has managed to get ICS running very smoothly. Much smoother than anything else currently released. The hardware is certainly capable of lag free ICS.

b944 seems the best at the moment unless i see better

Guest popoyaya

Daz has managed to get ICS running very smoothly. Much smoother than anything else currently released. The hardware is certainly capable of lag free ICS.

His CM10 is even smoother, with "project butter" enabled. Even though the version you can download has show-stopping features missing and hasn't been updated in a long time it's worth trying to see just how silky smooth an android interface can be. And that's without the many weeks of performance enhancements he's been working on since.

Edited by popoyaya

Guest lowrider007

Well I finally updated to the stock B963f, runnly very smoothly although a litle 'sluggish' but quite pleased so far, ICS runs much smoother with live wallpapers, the only thing I hate is the google search bar that stays at the top of the screen, it makes my phones screen feel smaller not being able to use that space.

Edited by lowrider007

Guest synchropair

Now that app2sd no longer works on the upgrade to ICS B936F, what is the best way to move apps to the external sd card and will they still work?

Regards

Guest lowrider007

Now that app2sd no longer works on the upgrade to ICS B936F, what is the best way to move apps to the external sd card and will they still work?

Regards

I've just gone through all this hassle, I just changed the defualt storage to 'SD Card' and redownload all my apps, I had a google and couldn't really find an app that would push my installed apps to SD on ICS.

edit,

Ummm, even though I've done that I've checked in app mangement and a lot of the apps have installed onto the internal phone memory even though sd card is selected as the defualt storage but now I have an option to 'move to sd card' on some of the apps so I've been going through all of them manually using that option.

I don't think I'll ever grasp how the storage system works on this phone.

Edited by lowrider007

Guest Rico_89

Well I finally updated to the stock B963f, runnly very smoothly although a litle 'sluggish' but quite pleased so far, ICS runs much smoother with live wallpapers, the only thing I hate is the google search bar that stays at the top of the screen, it makes my phones screen feel smaller not being able to use that space.

Go to manage apps then Disable "Google Search". If you want to free up the area it uses then install a third party launcher like Nova etc.

Guest psionandy

Has anyone who has upgraded via OTA been able to unlock the bootloader?... I'd like to try the 'official' upgrade first, and then jump into a custom rom later if i'm not happy with the build that the 'fine people at vodafone' have pushed out.....

Guest lowrider007

I'm starting to get a lot of odd bugs, apps closing unexpectedly being the main one, freezes and general sluggishness, I never had this on GB, I think I made a mistake upgrading to ICS, is it possible to downgrade?

So angry at myself for giving in to the temption of upgrading.

Edited by lowrider007

Guest Hogweed

I'm starting to get a lot of odd bugs, apps closing unexpectedly being the main one, freezes and general sluggishness, I never had this on GB, I think I made a mistake upgrading to ICS, is it possible to downgrade?

So angry at myself for giving in to the temption of upgrading.

Official Huawei Downgrade Kit to Vodafone B895 http://www.huaweidev...softid=NDY4ODE=

You might also want to check some if the ICS custom ROMs such as Infusion in this forum. Bugs fixed, optimised etc.

Edited by Hogweed

Evening! :)

So... I've been reading MoDaCo threads for as long as I've had a smartphone - they've been incredibly useful, so I decided to finally sign up for an account! ;)

I got a text message from Vodafone yesterday, with a link to a news article announcing the release of ICS. Finally! However, after reading all the negative posts on their forum about it I decided to hold off for a bit on upgrading. Two hours later the temptation got the better of me and I did the update.

The update I was prompted to download was B936_F - different to the one that most people on the Vodafone forum seem to have installed, which was missing the '_F' off the end... I'd like to think that it stands for Fixed, but I suspect (based on my short experience with Voda) it actually stands for Fluff and represents all the annoyware they've added. It would seem to have been released very shortly after the plain B936.

I'm quite please as it goes. :) I don't lose my ringtone or wallpaper settings when the phone restarts and it's at least as smooth as GB has been. Caller ID is popping up in the normal way too. In fact, the only bug that seems to remain from the NZ release is the spellchecker - which is currently underlining correctly spelt words in red instead of incorrectly spelt ones! Certainly not a deal-breaker for me... :)

I have but one question though... My GB install was rooted and I'd like the same for ICS. Is this possible, or should I (can I now) look at Infusion? Baseband (mentioned by someone earlier) is 2030.

Thanks - I hope I can prove as useful to the community as I've found it in the past! :)

Paul

Has anyone who has upgraded via OTA been able to unlock the bootloader?...

I have but one question though... My GB install was rooted and I'd like the same for ICS. Is this possible, or should I (can I now) look at Infusion? Baseband (mentioned by someone earlier) is 2030.

I did official OTA ICS upgrade and followed this guide, was able to root the phone without any hitch:

http://www.huaweig30...he-huawei-g300/

Guest Rico_89

I did official OTA ICS upgrade and followed this guide, was able to root the phone without any hitch:

It has been confirmed already that this version of ICS can be rooted, but no one has yet replied saying they have successfully unlocked the bootloader. The one person that has tried and replied, bricked his phone apparently.

It would be great if anyone that has rooted and unlocked the bootloader could confirm that the .exe works with the OTA uk version of ICS.

@Jazzi, if you root your phone you'll be able to fix the dictionary issue: http://www.modaco.com/topic/355651-ics-spellcheck-fix/

My advice would be to use option two.

Guest Rico_89

it works. this release is not new

Ah thanks, someone said they had bricked their phone trying to unlock the bootloader so I wasn't sure.

So effectively this is the same B936 English / New Zealand version with voda crap that was released ages ago. How could it take them that long to fatten this edition up with their own bloat ware?

Oh well at least the waiting is over. :D

At least I can see and access the phones files on my XP PC now!

I wonder if I root the phone it will it disappear again as prior to the OTA I tried dozens of usb driver files and only HiSuite would detect the phone..

Q. What's the best way to just get rid of the Vodafone bloatware please?

Delete the apps or root and install a custom rom?

BTW - similar to other posts* http://www.modaco.co...40#entry2046553

it said it was downloading & updating to B936f but "about phone" build number details show the version as B936

Edited by kar999

Awesome - thanks! Now rooted :)

I'm seeing a red border flash up (quite frequently) since rooting - is that superuser telling me when it's being active? It didn't do that with the rooted GB install - is there a way to disable it that I'm missing somewhere?

if you root your phone you'll be able to fix the dictionary issue: http://www.modaco.co...spellcheck-fix/

Yup, option two worked for me! :) Used ES File Explorer to do it... Had to mount /root as writable before I could delete the old apk and drop in the new ones.

Cheers guys! :D

I'm seeing a red border flash up (quite frequently) since rooting - is that superuser telling me when it's being active? It didn't do that with the rooted GB install - is there a way to disable it that I'm missing somewhere?

Settings > developer options > show screen updates.

Settings > developer options > show screen updates.

Knew it had to be around somewhere - thanks! :) It's called 'Strict mode enabled' on mine, but the description says it flashes the screen when apps do long operations on the main thread.

Guest synchropair

I unlocked the phone to Virgin and when using GB i used Tweaker to set the APN settings etc. Now that i have done the OTA updates to ICS i'm no longer connecting to 3g. I have tried Tweaker again but this has not solved the problem. Any idea what i need to do?

Regards