So they've fobbed us off with the same old stuff, AGAIN

Guest tcpaulh

Guest tcpaulh

The MD5 sum of the 'new' Vodafone UK official UK OTA ICS update matches that of the August New Zealand Update. It is identical in every way. Naturally, it has all the same problems.

Dictionary still broken

Caller ID still broken - it doesn't display in time.

Still no hardware accelerated UI despite documented written promises

Still reverts to internal storage after reboot even if you tell it to use the SD card

Still sluggish and slows down over time leading to force closes etc - bad memory management - Why does the ZTE blade, a hugely inferior device, not have these problems?

Still defaults back to factory ringtones when connected to PC

Here are a selection of comments I've found

"Same old s*** posted again why not release a proper bugfixed firmware for the G300 rather than the same old crap"

"utter utter s***"

"I can visualize in my head a group of Chinese and corrupt bunch of Vodafone guys sitting together giggling while they screw us around!!!!!!"

"Its not funny anymore I bought it on the promise of ICS but I expect it to have decent functionality, stuff like the dictionary being broken and messed up mount points are pretty basic functions that ought to work."

So what are we gonna do? Bend over?

Guest foobert

I bought my G300 4 months ago with the expectation of an update to ICS. I know I'm not alone here.

Is there anybody that is well versed in British consumer rights around here, that can offer advice on trying to get a refund from Vodafone UK? On one hand I feel a little silly complaining about a phone that was quite cheap to begin with, but I also feel a little duped after waiting patiently for so long. My feeling is that Vodafone can now say "you have your ICS now, no refund for you!"

I bought my G300 4 months ago with the expectation of an update to ICS. I know I'm not alone here.

Is there anybody that is well versed in British consumer rights around here, that can offer advice on trying to get a refund from Vodafone UK? On one hand I feel a little silly complaining about a phone that was quite cheap to begin with, but I also feel a little duped after waiting patiently for so long. My feeling is that Vodafone can now say "you have your ICS now, no refund for you!"

there was ,dragpyre but he is long gone

Guest tcpaulh

Name & Registered Office:

VODAFONE UK LIMITED

VODAFONE HOUSE

THE CONNECTION

NEWBURY

BERKSHIRE

RG14 2FN

Company No. 02227940

Name & Registered Office:

HUAWEI TECHNOLOGIES (UK) CO., LTD.

VIABLES 3 JAYS CLOSE

BASINGSTOKE

HAMPSHIRE

RG22 4BS

Company No. 04295981

How about we make one of those petition things online and get loads of online signatures send it to huawei...?

Then again they will probably just ignore it...

Edited by mack_

Guest rale_ts

In my opinion we all should write on their fb uk page.

Huawei UK Facebook page even now have many negative comments about G300 and they deserve more!

At least we can do is gave to them a very BAD PUBLICITY!

Guest timfimjim

I'm not buying Huawei again. So annoyed with how bad ICS is. All the custom ROMs here do make it a whole lot better but there's only so much you can do if the initial software is so bad.

Guest Hogweed

Hang On. Is there any reason to believe this is the official Vodafone UK update? If I read correctly it is only being offered to people on B895. But official Vodafone UK customers who have only done OTA updates are on B892 and are not being offered the upgrade. Unless anyone knows different. Therefore this may not be an official Vodafone UK release.

Edited by Hogweed

Hang On. Is there any reason to believe this is the official Vodafone UK update? If I read correctly it is only being offered to people on B895. But official Vodafone UK customers are on B892 and are not being offered the upgrade. Unless anyone knows different. Therefore this may not be an official Vodafone UK release.

that makes sense...

they did mention that the build number for UK ICS would be B963 not B936, Cant remember if that was later denied or not.

Edited by mack_

Guest unaszplodrmann

At this point, giving Huawei bad publicity via Facebook certainly isn't going to reduce any leverage that the consumer might've had. Go for it. In releasing this update, Vodafone and Huawei and fulfilled the much publicised promise of an ICS update. They never said it was going to meet basic expections (working dictionary, correct mounts etc.), just that it would be released. I doubt that complaining on these grounds will get anyone anywhere.

A completed CM port would make all this irrelevant though (to those of us who are knowledgeable enough to perform the installation, at least). I think we should collectively be pushing for Huawei to release complete kernel source that actually compiles without modification, as is required by the terms of the license. I doubt the Linux Foundation is aware that a member is in breach, in this particular instance...

Guest unaszplodrmann

that makes sense...

they did mention that the build number for UK ICS would be B963 not B936, Cant remember if that was later denied or not.

'B963' could well have simply been typo.

Guest Hogweed

B895 is the version Huawei packaged as a downgrade with the middle package for those going back to GB. Maybe just for people on that path to have an OTA path forward to B936 if they want to go to that version of ICS?

Edited by Hogweed

Guest top_score

personally I'm extremely happy with my g300, I bought it on the strength of reviews that said you will not get a better phone for your money, I didn't buy it on what future firmware it may or may not have, at the time of purchase I was not given any promise of firmware updates or made aware of any future updates.

this is a modern phenomenon of bitching, crying or moaning about firmware.

if you wanted a phone that runs on ics or jb you should have bought a premium device, instead of buying a budget device running gb.

at time of purchase there was NOTHING on the UK market that could hold a light to it, I'm not sure if there is anything yet either; based on price/performance.

The reason I join forums like this is purely for custom firmware, and have enjoyed cfw on many different devices.

Guest unaszplodrmann

if you wanted a phone that runs on ics or jb you should have bought a premium device, instead of buying a budget device running gb.

By the same stroke, if Huawei and Vodafone were not willing to provide an ICS update with no basic usability issues, they shouldn't have released an update all. But of course, they did release one, because the phone was advertised by Vodafone as being inline for an update to ICS.

Guest jsevi83

It's not particularly a huge achievement. :P

Actually it's even more disappointing when you see it coming and it finally happens.

A huge achievement would be releasing cm10 :P

Even though Vodafone posted its available there's nothing on using a 2 month old firmware. I would of thought 892 would of got it first. I maybe off track but me thinks your going back to the rom it was used to downgrade from.

personally I'm extremely happy with my g300, I bought it on the strength of reviews that said you will not get a better phone for your money

Well said. My thoughts exactly.

Edited by Cyda