So they've fobbed us off with the same old stuff, AGAIN

Guest tcpaulh

Guest Malthus

personally I'm extremely happy with my g300, I bought it on the strength of reviews that said you will not get a better phone for your money, I didn't buy it on what future firmware it may or may not have, at the time of purchase I was not given any promise of firmware updates or made aware of any future updates.

Actually, yes you were, you presumably just didn't notice. The G300 was released with a promise of ICS in a few months from day one.

if you wanted a phone that runs on ics or jb you should have bought a premium device, instead of buying a budget device running gb.

Nonsense. It's perfectly acceptable to accept a device to run ICS when it's clearly marketed in big, bold print as one of the selling points. In fact there were some people here posting initially thinking it actually came with ICS installed, as the Vodafone marketing was so prominent with the fact it was actually on Gingerbread with a promised ICS update only found in the small print.

Guest Malthus

Principles my dear Top_Score/Cyda

Exactly, why some people feel it's necessary to chastise people for standing up for their consumer rights and instead encouraging everyone to bend over and let Vodafone/Huawei shaft them instead is beyond me.

Exactly, why some people feel it's necessary to chastise people for standing up for their consumer rights and instead encouraging everyone to bend over and let Vodafone/Huawei shaft them instead is beyond me.

I didn't chastise anyone. I merely said it was a lot of moaning for a £100 phone - end of. I'm not here to argue I was just stating how I felt, if you don't agree then fair enough.

I didn't chastise anyone. I merely said it was a lot of moaning for a £100 phone - end of. I'm not here to argue I was just stating how I felt, if you don't agree then fair enough.

Cyda i think most users just feel frustrated that they didnt really get what they wanted....In terms of software though, i mean for a hundred quid the phone is brilliant

Guest top_score

to be honest I bought my g300 from a Vodafone store in north Wales about 6 months ago, there was NOTHING in store suggesting that it was going to have ics, the advertising bumf on the display board stated it was running gb, with no mention at all of ics, when I questioned the staff about the phone one of the employees showed me his and said he was delighted with it. I mentioned that I would be putting cfw on it and he advised against it as it would invalidate my warentee.

I purchased another one about a month ago from Tesco, again it was clearly marked as running gb.

at no time did I see any reference to ics, no did staff in either store at the time of purchase even mention the word ics or even hint that there may be the slightest possibility of there being an update.

My tuppence

The brouchore in mk where i live said the phone is running android 4.0!Not even coming soon. When questioned staff said it was on its way.

This 3moon ago

Guest Magnets

to be honest I bought my g300 from a Vodafone store in north Wales about 6 months ago, there was NOTHING in store suggesting that it was going to have ics, the advertising bumf on the display board stated it was running gb, with no mention at all of ics, when I questioned the staff about the phone one of the employees showed me his and said he was delighted with it. I mentioned that I would be putting cfw on it and he advised against it as it would invalidate my warentee.

I purchased another one about a month ago from Tesco, again it was clearly marked as running gb.

at no time did I see any reference to ics, no did staff in either store at the time of purchase even mention the word ics or even hint that there may be the slightest possibility of there being an update.

There was a scan of a Vodafone instore brochure showing the device will receive an ICS update. And the vodafone forum staff have also promised it since the spring (as have huawei via facebook).

edit: http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/vodafoneuk/attachments/vodafone/OtherOS/48394/1/Proof.jpg

Edited by Magnets

Guest MrPuddington
Runs,not comes with...

Technically that's true, however it implies that the G300 not just runs Android 4.0, but it is also endorsed by Vodafone to run Android 4.0. Which is technically only true since today, and I would still argue with "run" - it feels more like "dragging along".

Guest sonicprogress

text that came from Vodafone yesterday:

Great news! You can now update your phone software to Android Ice Cream Sandwich. First you'll need to update it to Gingerbread and then to Ice Cream Sandwich. For help visit www.vdfn.co/g300update (data charges may apply if viewed on a phone)

Guest popoyaya

There is now an announcement on their Facebook Page with a link to the Vodafone forum telling you this is the official ICS upgrade

Exciting times! Thank you Vodafone for all the hard work. :)

Guest ScutulatusCrotalus

would someone download it and try to see if its any different.

It's the same as Vodafone NZ update. (please read first post in this topic)

It's the same as Vodafone NZ update. (please read first post in this topic)

oh okay, i am confused as people as saying different things, working not working etc.

oh okay, i am confused as people as saying different things, working not working etc.

Accept what tcpaulh says in the first post, but agree it is getting really confusing when you read the various other posts, is it B936 or B936f ?. Is it as first post suggest still rubbish or is it ok, if rubbish then it is probably not worth trying, I have a spare g300 so would try it myself but cannot get back to Vodafone GB to upgrade, guess we will have to wait for somebody to upload it to try it .

Accept what tcpaulh says in the first post, but agree it is getting really confusing when you read the various other posts, is it B936 or B936f ?. Is it as first post suggest still rubbish or is it ok, if rubbish then it is probably not worth trying, I have a spare g300 so would try it myself but cannot get back to Vodafone GB to upgrade, guess we will have to wait for somebody to upload it to try it .

yes it would be nice to know for sure if its worth downgrading for.

I can say now. I was on 892. Got the upgrade to 895. Then notification that 936f was available so downloaded it. Its the same old Tosh. It only says 936 in settings and I'm fuming I wasted a day on it.

No point at all

Guest Malthus

I'm not necessarily talking about you. Look at top_score's posts in this thread and you'll see why people are taking issue, it's unfortunate you probably got lumped in with him when your posts were much more reasonable.

Guest top_score

my posts were not unreasonable, I was never promised ics, I was told at the point of purchase it was running gb.

in hindsight it appears that people had different experiences, but I still stand by what I said.

promises mean nothing, you must be naïve and gullible if you think they mean something.

Guest tcpaulh

Promises mean something. Always. The money you carry in your pocket is no more than a promise. Relationships, social mores, accepted behaviour, law and order are all based on promises.

A promise is a contract.

Promises mean nothing? You're wrong. No offense. I just disagree fundamentally.

Guest top_score

that didn't come across right.

promises 'should' mean something, especially between friends and family.

I meant promises from businesses, corporations, government etc mean nothing, and by that I mean they are worthless and empty until they are delivered on.

I've still not seen any promises from either Vodafone or HUAWEI on ics, I have seen statements saying ics is coming, but that is still not a promise.

Guest top_score

issue is moot now anyways seeing as ics has been released.

we can however discuss if a crap ics release actually constitutes a release, as according to some people as far as promise goes an ics update has been released, pretty sure though no promises were made about it's functunality ;)