[MOD] [CM9] Support for PDroid in CyanogenMod 9 for the G300

Guest unaszplodrmann

Guest unaszplodrmann

Here are some packages that add/remove support for PDroid to CyanogenMod 9 for the Huawei Ascend G300.

These should only be applied against version R9 from the 17/2/2013. If you damage your CM installation by applying them to the wrong version, then it sucks to be you.

red.zip || blue.zip

The red.zip will add support for PDroid to your CM installation, whilst the blue.zip can be used to restore the original, unmodified files, whereby removing support for PDroid.

Edited by unaszplodrmann

Guest unaszplodrmann

Sorry noob here. Which do I flash first?

Perhaps I need to clarify. The update.zip adds support for PDroid, whilst the restore.zip removes support for PDroid.

Guest wouterbeer

I hope I am not an utter fool. Anyway I've been using LBE privacy guard, also right now on cm9, to manage the permissions. Looking to the description of pdroid app in the play store I'm not sure what the differences are? LBE seems to does it job?

Guest unaszplodrmann

I hope I am not an utter fool. Anyway I've been using LBE privacy guard, also right now on cm9, to manage the permissions. Looking to the description of pdroid app in the play store I'm not sure what the differences are? LBE seems to does it job?

It does the same job, but not in the same way. Because PDroid does not run as a service, unlike LBE, it does not occupy precious space in RAM and therefore will also not cause problems if killed by Android's task manager. And apps will not complain when blocked, unlike with some apps and LBE. Other than that, it allows somewhat more granular control and, importantly for some, it is open source, whereas LBE is not.

PDroid is superior, but LBE is easier to get up and running; that's where these zips come in handy...

Edited by unaszplodrmann

Guest wouterbeer

Thanks, I will give it a try. One more question, when there is an OTA available, before updating cm 9, should I flash the restore? Or is the update/wipe enough..

Guest unaszplodrmann

Thanks, I will give it a try. One more question, when there is an OTA available, before updating cm 9, should I flash the restore? Or is the update/wipe enough..

An OTA update will overwrite the modified files, breaking support for PDroid. If the files that require modification in order to support PDroid do not change between one OTA update and the next, the update.zip for the previous release could be reapplied. BUT, if you don't know whether these files have changed between between versions, you're playing russian roulette, hence the cautionary message in the opening post.

Should have gone with red.zip and blue.zip. ;)

Very droll, Misterr Aanderrrson. ;) Yeah, the first think I did was set Google Play Services to receive arbitrary values :ninja: :rolleyes:

Yeah, the first think I did was set Google Play Services to receive arbitrary values :ninja: :rolleyes:

Hah! I hope you had your foil hat on while doing so! :P

/back on topic: working well here; all apps vetted and mostly fed random values. All hail paranoia. :ph34r:

Edited by Cyda

Guest wouterbeer
BUT, if you don't know whether these files have changed between between versions, you're playing russian roulette, hence the cautionary message in the opening post.

Let's say I do not wanna play that dangerous Russian game you were talking about. What do you think?

Guest unaszplodrmann

Let's say I do not wanna play that dangerous Russian game you were talking about. What do you think?

You've made the right choice, in this instance. Updated packages are uploading now; check the OP soon.

Guest unaszplodrmann

Hm. Flashed the zip. Installed Pdroid again from market. First time run gives error: pdroid not working yet on ICS.

Looking into it now.

Edit: It appears the new CWM is not handling the .zip correctly. I pushed the modified file via ADB instead. Sorry, there's no quick fix; you're just gonna have to wait.

Edited by unaszplodrmann

Looking into it now.

Edit: It appears the new CWM is not handling the .zip correctly. I pushed the modified file via ADB instead. Sorry, there's no quick fix; you're just gonna have to wait.

Might be the same that is happening with my Link2Int mod. It seems the new CWM doesn't mount system correctly when flashing the zips. Try this, boot to CWM go to Mounts and Storage > unmount /system and then mount /system. Then go and flash the zip as normal, this worked for my mod I'd guess it should work for this.

Guest wouterbeer

Try this, boot to CWM go to Mounts and Storage > unmount /system and then mount /system. Then go and flash the zip as normal, this worked for my mod I'd guess it should work for this.

I can confirm, this did the job at once. Thanks!

Guest wouterbeer

is this compatible with ics as someone on market said they aren't upgrading to ics until pdroid is compatible

So, it's not compatible with ICS, as they say themselves But the fix presented here enables it for use with CM9.

Guest unaszplodrmann

is this compatible with ics as someone on market said they aren't upgrading to ics until pdroid is compatible

People "on the market" say a lot of things ;) AOSP 4.0.x can be patched for PDroid (v1) support, specifically /system/framework/{core,framework,services}.jar, but if you try to apply either the 'red.zip' or the 'blue.zip' to stock G300 firmware, you're gonna bork it.

Edited by unaszplodrmann