Help on installing CM9

Guest Huaweian

Guest Huaweian

Hi,

I'm a complete newbie here so sorry for the "dumb" like questions! :wacko:

I just upgraded to B936F over the air on Vodafone and am finding it slow and unresponsive. I have read the forums on here and am thinking about using CM9 for daily use. Is that wise? (i.e is it stable etc.)

Also, how am I to install CM9? I've read on the fantastic website; http://huaweig300.com/ how to root etc.

However, I'm unsure of how to install the Clock Work Mod that Daz has made. Is it installed instead of the Clockwordg300.exe mentioned on http://huaweig300.co...rkmod-recovery/ or is there something else?

In what way should i backup my apps?

Any help would be much appreciated,

Thanks.

Also sorry if I shouldn't have made a topic out of this. Not really sure.

First, you need to go to the stickies section and follow the tutorial to install clockworkmod recovery, aka CWM. Once you have done that, you need to download dazzozo's CWM build, and put it onto the root of your external SD card.

After all of that, turn off your phone and turn it back on, but when you turn it on, hold the volume up button at the same time. It should boot into CWM and you will use this to flash roms on your phone.

So, once you are in CWM, use the volume buttons to scroll to 'flash zip from SD card'. Use the home button to select it and then scroll to the file you downloaded from dazzozo's thread. Press the home button to select it, and press yes to install it. Now, press the back button to go back, go to advanced settings, and click 'reboot recovery'. You should now have dazzozos recovery rather than the standard one. The new recovery should be blue so you will know it worked.

The new recovery works slightly different in controls. It should now be:

Volume buttons to scroll

Power button to select

Tap screen to go back

Now that you have CWM, follow the instructions on the CM9 thread and you should be good to go :D

Thread for installing CWM

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?/topic/353860-Help-I'm-New-And-I-Can't-Do...

Skip to number 3

Edited by kyan31

Guest Huaweian

Ok thanks.

Just a few questions.

1. Do you need to root before installing CWM (Step 2 before step 3)

2. "and put it onto the root of your external SD card" - where?

Sorry,

Ok thanks.

Just a few questions.

1. Do you need to root before installing CWM (Step 2 before step 3)

2. "and put it onto the root of your external SD card" - where?

Sorry,

The term, 'root of the SD card' means to put it on the start of the SD card. So not in any folders.

And I'm not sure if you need to root, but it is a good idea to do it. I think CM9 relies on root and rooting just makes the phone better in general.

So, yes, I think you should root your phone :D

Edited by kyan31

Make sure you do all the necessary wipes before you flash CM9. That means you need to:

Wipe data/factory reset

Wipe cache partition

Go to advanced settings and wipe dalvik cache

Go to mounts and storage, and format system

Also, when you flash CM9, flash google apps a.k.a. gapps too.

If you want to be safe, you should make nandroid backup before you flash anything. Go to backup/restore and click backup. After this is done, you can restore to the backup whenever you want, so if you we're to mess up the phone, you can just restore it :D

Edited by kyan31

Guest Huaweian

Yes, you flash CM9 through cwm

So root? I'm not really familiar with the terminology.

As I undertsand it, you have to:

Root

Install CWM

Install CM9

Or is it just:

Install CWM

Install CM9

Or does installing CWM root the phone?

Edited by Huaweian

Guest Davidoff59

Btw, those 2 pics of cwm recovery, cwm will need updating. It isn't flashed along with CM9.

Stock recovery is locked down by the manufacturer.

CWM recovery gives you way more options and doesn't require manufacturer keys to flash roms.

CM9 requires the version of CWM posted in the CM9 thread to have Dazzozo support. While it may flash perfectly fine with earlier versions of cwm, you will receive no support off Dazzozo.

Guest Huaweian

Section 3 of http://www.modaco.co...with-downloads/ then

First, you need to go to the stickies section and follow the tutorial to install clockworkmod recovery, aka CWM. Once you have done that, you need to download dazzozo's CWM build, and put it onto the root of your external SD card.

After all of that, turn off your phone and turn it back on, but when you turn it on, hold the volume up button at the same time. It should boot into CWM and you will use this to flash roms on your phone.

So, once you are in CWM, use the volume buttons to scroll to 'flash zip from SD card'. Use the home button to select it and then scroll to the file you downloaded from dazzozo's thread. Press the home button to select it, and press yes to install it. Now, press the back button to go back, go to advanced settings, and click 'reboot recovery'. You should now have dazzozos recovery rather than the standard one. The new recovery should be blue so you will know it worked.

The new recovery works slightly different in controls. It should now be:

Volume buttons to scroll

Power button to select

Tap screen to go back

Now that you have CWM, follow the instructions on the CM9 thread and you should be good to go :D

Thread for installing CWM

http://www.modaco.co...Can't-Do...

Skip to number 3

then install CM9 using Daz instruction

right?

Edited by Huaweian

Guest sashko69

If you don't need FM Radio and decent video recording, then flash CM9. Otherwise, your choice should be Infusion or Stock+. Since I have a four year old kid, I use video camera a lot so my choice (for now) is Stock+.

Edited by sashko69

If you don't need FM Radio and decent video recording, then flash CM9. Otherwise, your choice should be Infusion or Stock+. Since I have a four year old kid, I use video camera a lot so my choice (for now) is Stock+.

What's wrong with the video recording in CM9?