New OTA Update B952 announced by Vodafone for 28/11/12

Guest Huaweian

Guest thebuell

I've figured how to switch between stock-recovery and CWM, using fastboot, so that's OK. Unfortunately I couldn't apply UPDATE.ZIP as I'd hacked the system apps by replacing them with updated versions, so it wouldn't apply the patches.

OK. I guess I'll just repack the UPDATE.ZIP to remove those that I've modded. Might work? :-)

Guest thebuell

The only other way is flash stock ics. Than downgrade official way then ota update.

Pain in the ass.

Yeah it is. I've had a peek inside the UPDATE.ZIP, and it seems there's a whole bunch of *.so library files, wonder what they're for?

Edited by thebuell

Guest Dazzozo

It's not a small update at all. The contents of the system directory are new files, added in this release (so logically there shouldn't be many). The patch folder is also very important as that contains files that have been modified from previous releases, which contains quite a lot (this is also why you can only upgrade from a certain version, it actually patches the changes in to the files on your device).

.so = shared library/object. For most purposes you can treat them as DLLs for Linux though they're a little different.

Guest thebuell

If I knew how to repack the UPDATE.ZIP, I could remove some of those apps that are being patched as I've already updated them, and gain the benefit of the rest of the updates.

Guest Magnets

Yeah it is. I've had a peek inside the UPDATE.ZIP, and it seems there's a whole bunch of *.so library files, wonder what they're for?

Some of them are for the swype feature of touchpal.

While we're waiting for someone to do a full changelog, here is a nugget of information from the 'Update details' given with the OTA update:

'Version updates:

Google applications have been upgraded to version R7

Google new patches have been applied.'

I'm not going to bother installing yet as last time I did an OTA update, I forgot that it wiped your memory card so I lost all my Titanium Backup files and spent the next month swearing a lot at Angry Birds... I'll wait until I've got time to spare to make all the necessary backups etc.

Guest Akathecat

Same way as you will install this, or as you istalled CWM first time. I use fastboot method, or there are automated .bat files for that, you just swap .img files.

Please pardon my ignorance I am new to all this, I have downloaded the SDK and found the executable fastboot is that all that I need or am I missing something on the Devleoper kit which doesn't appear to have an executable or msi package just something called Eclipse am I near or am I a million miles away from where I need to be?

Guest Mobilerab

The over-the-AIRupdate this morning didn't work. "image signature verify fail". This after I upgraded to official ICS last week. Pressing "2volbuttons" method of install fails about 1/4 way through the install "Update failed". Reading through this thread now to work out how to recover from this...

Edited by Mobilerab

Guest glangors

The over-the-update this morning didn't work. "image signature verify fail". This after I upgraded to official ICS last week. Pressing "2volbuttons" method of install fails about 1/4 way through the install "Update failed". Reading through this thread now to work out how to recover from this...

In the same boat

Guest Dazzozo

The over-the-update this morning didn't work. "image signature verify fail". This after I upgraded to official ICS last week. Pressing "2volbuttons" method of install fails about 1/4 way through the install "Update failed". Reading through this thread now to work out how to recover from this...

over-the-update? :P

The real question would be is it worth it? Can someone update with verified info on the volumes / storage and memory mangement?

There is no way that we can know this info. They don't provide an accurate changelog so the only way to check for fixes is through testing, and half of us (if not most) won't even be able to get the update because we are not completely stock. If they had given us a full rom instead of just an patch we could have at least dumped the lot and tested it via a CWM zip but as it is atm it is not worth the hassle.

The only way I can see of getting a full CWM flashable version of this would be to downgrade to GB and get all the OTA updates to this version, then once this is done dump the system image and make a CWM zip from that. But really, knowing both Huawei and Vodafone, is it worth the hassle of doing all this on the feint of chance they might have actually fixed something?

Guest glangors

over-the-update? :P

Did the OTA this morning resulting in " Image signature fail " on reboot .Forcing upgrade following Frankish post for firmware update fails after unpacking

Guest Akathecat

I think the answer is if you have a rom that works for you at the moment then steer well clear of the update / patch because it sounds like if your phone is not completely stock it is going to cause you a headache anyway or is that just my negative side showing it's ugly face :angry2: lol. (rephrased as it seems someone has that time of the month and is a little hormonal)

Edited by Akathecat

Guest soulhand

it sounds like if your phone is not completely stock it is going to break anyway.

Has anyone reported it breaks things? I've only seen reports that the update wouldn't install.

In fact, I've seen no reports from anyone who has actually installed the update! (I would except I can't get it to offer me it again)

Guest johnpeterman

After 952 update, WebGL: Unavailable. Hardware acceleration disabled.

Connected to PC as mass storage via USB, ringtone still resets to default.

Edited by johnpeterman

After 952 update, WebGL: Unavailable. Hardware acceleration disabled.

Connected to PC as mass storage via USB, ringtone still resets to default.

so what have they acutally done to make things better?

Does anyone know - can you only get this OTA update if you already on B936?

I kept my phone on B895 as I wanted to avoid B936 but when I check today for new updates, only B936 is currently showing.

Do I have to update to B936 in order to get B952?

Thanks.

(My phone is as I bought it from VF with all the VF bloatware etc.)