Your final and considered judgement on the Huawei G300?

Guest blatny93

Guest blatny93

So, what is your final and considered judgment of the G300? I ask this, because, many here have given this 'go' by Huawei a fair whack and tried to beat something interesting out of it but found finally, it's pretty limited. Was the price/ hardware ratio pitched right? For instance, the MSM7227A chip is mostly clocked at 800mhz (look it up) - was it attempting, in our case, to do something it couldn't? But it was it's screen that attracted us? Does size matter? It was also the challenge, on behalf of developers, to break a sort of Chinese Wall they perhaps weren't used to? I'm just throwing out ideas. Tell us what you think.

Cyda and Dazz - am I not right about the chip? The reason it can't be overclocked more than 1.15 is because it is already overclocked, surely? Am I right?

PS Of course it can be over clocked to 'infinity', I'm talking about what is stable.

Edited by blatny93

Guest blatny93

Frankish, Dazz is trying his best but I don't think even he would say he has been delivered enough from Huawei to make a viable Rom. Don't get me wrong, his CM9 is viable, but even he can't make this thing sing? Or am I wrong? I only bought the damn phone a month ago!!

phone of 2012, of course. not sure what you mean by limited, it does the same things most other phones do.

yes QC isn't great but when you can get it for £55 (i paid £100) that's not so surprising.

also Huawei's ROMs have memory management problems so the phone isn't perfectly stable?

and most seem to run stable hardware wise near 1.2Ghz so not sure what you mean there either?

Edited by Smiff2

I've had it for a few months, it was the best handset value-wise for £100 . Good size, good functionality, everything you'd want for a budget smartphone (it's not meant to be an apple-beater).I think you can get the next version, G330, for £100 now which should be somewhat better than this.

Like others have said, it was good in Gingerbread, then the ICS updates made it worse. I haven't tried any of the mods yet, I'm still a novice.

It's also has a novelty factor in a way because no one's heard of it, and friends peer at it curiously and try to say the word "Huawei" as they poke at it.

It's a good phone. I have three friends who all bought one after seeing/trying mine, I've shown them lots of phones over time and this is the first one that actually made them want one.

Admittedly Huawei are not the best software wise but for £100 I think it's a great phone and I'd still buy one if I had to choose again. You also have the added bonus of Daz's great work on CM9 and CM10. He has already put Huawei to shame with his experimental builds. Give him time and he'll have this phone purring like a kitten.

Edited by Cyda

Guest Hogweed

Great phone but let down by Huawei's ICS efforts. I've stuck to GB but using Modaco Gr2 optimised ROM with overclocked kernel to 1.2Ghz + Holo Launcher and some memory management tweaks. That combo works great for me. Nothing beats it for the price

The price for the hardware got me. Shame it was not fully utilised software wise. Could have been one of the greats but will now be regarded as a lesson in how to alienate all you customers.

Are there better phones? absolutely.

Are there better phones for the price, not when I was looking, and not now.

I cant say I ever really had too much of an issue with any of the early iteration ICS roms. Ran Infusion ICS since its beginning, tried pretty much all of the ICS roms at least once. Currently running the B944 SGS3 rom. Reboots from poor signal are a pain, but I live in a city.

I'll try either Daz's CM9 or the shendu JB in the next week. I'll be happy playing around, if I dont like it I'll go back to something else.

I don't see the software as a let down, if I paid more for it, maybe, but I didn't.

Would I buy another? If when it came time to upgrade, the Huawei still had better specs and a lower price than its competition, yes I probably would get another.

Guest rwalton159

Why is ICS worse than Gingerbread?

After 2yrs of owning a Blade I bought this phone and really like it. Everything on it works and its much smoother than the Blade.

Guest Frankish

It's a good phone. I have three friends who all bought one after seeing/trying mine, I've shown them lots of phones over time and this is the first one that actually made them want one.

Admittedly Huawei are not the best software wise but for £100 I think it's a great phone and I'd still buy one if I had to choose again. You also have the added bonus of Daz's great work on CM9 and CM10. He has already put Huawei to shame with his experimental builds. Give him time and he'll have this phone purring like a kitten.

After i got mine my mother got one, her partner got one, my partner got one and now my brother sister and her partner are getting one! Nobody at work can believe it when they are tied into their contracts for phones and i tell them this is a £100 payasyougo one.

Edited by Frankish

Guest MrPuddington

It is not a bad phone, but it has put me off buying Huawei every again. I do not mind that the software has bugs, that is to be expected. But I do mind the contempt that they display for their customers, and the constant lies. Without Huawei software (e.g. with CM9), this phone is quite extraordinary.

As for the hardware, I think it has three key weaknesses, in this order: not enough RAM, a bad camera with inconsistent picture quality, and slow GPU/CPU. The G330 may improve the final part, but it does nothing to address the shortage of RAM or the bad camera quality.

That being said, the G300 is kind of the logical successor of the ZTE Blade - with a better CPU, more flash, bigger display, and a slightly better camera. I think ZTE dropped the ball by not delivering this successor, giving Huawei an opportunity. But the ZTE software is better (or less bad).

Guest Davidoff59

Zte have a replica of this phone. Same specs but with a search button. The search button is the only difference I see. Can't remember the name of it though. Many were waiting on the Mimosa X from ZTE as an upgrade but they released no news, delayed its release, changed the name then dropped the specs. People got fed up waiting an moved on. Zte now appear to be trying to win back customers by being the first Chinese manufacturer to release a JB update.

Guest MrPuddington
Zte have a replica of this phone.

Indeed, the ZTE Blade 3. But it only launched in September, and it is still not avaliable in the UK. The price is supposedly around 140 GBP, which makes it quite a bit more expensive (nearly twice as expensive as the G300 on sale). I think that very much fits the definition of "dropping the ball".

Guest blatny93

Don't want to piddle on anyones shoes but this was seriously overclocked and given a screen that its graphics could cope with? I want to know the limits of this phone because like most of us I bought it because it was the limits of my funds? That is why I mention the old ZTE Racer - despite its it's price it was very easy to root and unlock - it was generic and it got a generic rom. What I think should happen, at this price range, is that they should be generic? Or is it better for them to be locked? Debate!

Guest blatny93

Also, the ZTE Racer that I bought, after having several very stable Nokias, still serves as a great hotspot, even though it's screen is broken, and I can only access it via my CP (try MyExplorer - its your friend and you won't look back!). It still has it's own CM7 and never buggers up. I know it's absurd but what about CM7 for G300? That would be cute!

Guest stevecross

t is what it is a budget phone, for me problems were with volumes of ringtones etc. Even after so called software fix still not as loud as other phones I have owned. Will I buy the dual core one, No. Most likely pay extra for the nexus 4 or samsung or the Motorola Razer looks good