[OFFTOPIC] China Phone Discussion - UPDATED 30/10/2013

Guest kyan31

Guest shweeney

I ordered v967s at Antelife 25 days ago.

They sent it on 17 october thru singpost.

Trackning doesn't show any useful info

yet.

I ordered from Focalprice on Sept 30th - still don't have the phone.  Airmail seems to be extremely slow at the moment...

Dutch! :)

Ouch!  :blush:

Airmail seems to be extremely slow at the moment...

No wonder - imagine all of those battery containing parcels* being drawn from china post and hongkong post offices

and then transfered to Singapore post office and scanned there for double battery parcel elimination.

* Pandawill got near 1300 parcels returned in three days only!!!

The real wonder is  why we have to dig that for ourselves. Why is it so hard for chinese sellers to 

admit problem and present it to their customers?

Xiaomi Hongmi (Red Rice) WCDMA version is to be released on 5th Nov. Think it will be very difficult to get hold of one at a sensible price for the first few months.

http://www.gizchina.com/2013/10/29/wcdma-xiaomi-hongmi-will-launch-november-5th/

I belive that it would not be smart to order anything from China during 15th November 2013. - 5th February 2014.

There is New Year coming and then another festival at the end of January stretching onto couple of days in February.

Guest george109

The new Jiayu Phone has been released (The Jiayu G5.) It is on Geekbuying for £175.87

It has a stainless steel back, and is slimmer than the G4.

It has the usual specs of a chinese phone, MTK6589T chip, Dual Sim, 2 Cameras (13MP).

Do you think its worth it? It does look like an iPhone, but then again, it does have a stainless steel back...

Image:

DSC_0631.jpg

Edited by george109

Guest Maringer

I belive that it would not be smart to order anything from China during 15th November 2013. - 5th February 2014.

There is New Year coming and then another festival at the end of January stretching onto couple of days in February.

Chinese New Year is at the end of January in 2014. Western New Year shouldn't really be any busier in China than any other time though, of course, the postal system tends to be swamped around the Christmas/New Year time across the world.

I think you're right that we can expect long delays in delivery of phones at any time during the next few months but the major issue seems to be the battery situation. A pity, really, as the FAEA F1 I ordered via ChinaPost during the summer arrived pretty quickly, considering.

The WCDMA Xiaomi Hongmi looks interesting, especially with the excellent software support from MIUI.

Personally, I've decided to stick with my F1 for now (and hope for software updates to fix some of the bugs), then wait to see how phones with the forthcoming MT6592 and MT6588 chips perform.

Guest george109

Chinese New Year is at the end of January in 2014. Western New Year shouldn't really be any busier in China than any other time though, of course, the postal system tends to be swamped around the Christmas/New Year time across the world.

I think you're right that we can expect long delays in delivery of phones at any time during the next few months but the major issue seems to be the battery situation. A pity, really, as the FAEA F1 I ordered via ChinaPost during the summer arrived pretty quickly, considering.

The WCDMA Xiaomi Hongmi looks interesting, especially with the excellent software support from MIUI.

Personally, I've decided to stick with my F1 for now (and hope for software updates to fix some of the bugs), then wait to see how phones with the forthcoming MT6592 and MT6588 chips perform.

What bugs does the F1 have?

Finally something constructive!
:)

Amoi N828
Amoi N850
BBK Vivo
Faea F1
Faea F2
G`FIVE G9
Goophone I9
Haier W910
Huawei G510
Huawei G520
Huawei G525
Huawei G610
Huawei G700
K-Touch U86
Lenovo A820
Lenovo A830
Lenovo A850
Lenovo P780
Lenovo S820
Lenovo S920
Little Pepper LA-Q1
Meizu mx2
Meizu mx3
Mlais MX58
Neken N6
Neo / Rio N003
Newman K1
THL W100
THL W200
THL W8
UMI X1s
UMI X2

Vowney v5 / Verne V5
Xiaocai X9
Xiaomi m2
Xiaomi m2a
Xiaomi m2s
Xiaomi m3
Xiaomi Hongmi
XYZ X1 / Cubot GT99
Zopo C2
Zopo C3
Zopo ZP810
ZTE v967s
ZTE v987

Most of these are top selling phones already.

Edited by dakok

Guest Maringer

What bugs does the F1 have?

In my usage, the problems are mostly a bit of glitchiness from time to time. Specifically, the phone gets worryingly hot in use (especially playing games) with the stock ROM. With the odd hacky third-party ROM available (Lewa OS, specifically), the heat situation is not as pronounced which would indicate that the issue is as much about bugs in the ROM as anything else. My memory card has recently died as the phone kept reporting it was being unmounted then remounted but this could be the fault of the card, I suppose. It worked fine in my previous phone, however. The accuracy of the battery reading is not very good and, on occasion, I've looked at my phone in the morning to find it has 'apparently' lost charge of around 50% and gone flat. The next night, the battery claims it has only lost 5 or 6% charge when left for the same amount of time. Apps randomly force close on occasion (possibly because of the heat issue?) and I've had SMS messages refuse to send a few times. I generally get around this by wiping the data for the messaging app and rebooting. That seems to work. Another point is that the second SIM often doesn't seem to have any connection showing. A good signal area here where I live so that shouldn't be occurring, not that I've really needed to use this backup SIM!

All in all, the ROM (released back in August) is distinctly lacking in polish. An Android 4.2 ROM update has been promised by FAEA but they are less than forthcoming as to when this will become available and I'm rather doubtful, to tell the truth!

Finally something constructive!

:)

Amoi N828

Amoi N850

BBK Vivo

Faea F1

Faea F2

G`FIVE G9

Goophone I9

Haier W910

Huawei G510

Huawei G520

Huawei G525

Huawei G610

Huawei G700

K-Touch U86

Lenovo A820

Lenovo A830

Lenovo A850

Lenovo P780

Lenovo S820

Lenovo S920

Little Pepper LA-Q1

Meizu mx2

Meizu mx3

Mlais MX58

Neken N6

Neo / Rio N003

Newman K1

THL W100

THL W200

THL W8

UMI X1s

UMI X2

Xiaocai X9

Xiaomi m2

Xiaomi m2a

Xiaomi m2s

Xiaomi m3

Xiaomi Hongmi

XYZ X1 / Cubot GT99

Zopo C2

Zopo C3

Zopo ZP810

ZTE v967s

ZTE v987

Most of these are top selling phones already.

Wow, what a list. I'll get those added soon alright :)

Guest george109
In my usage, the problems are mostly a bit of glitchiness from time to time. Specifically, the phone gets worryingly hot in use (especially playing games) with the stock ROM. With the odd hacky third-party ROM available (Lewa OS, specifically), the heat situation is not as pronounced which would indicate that the issue is as much about bugs in the ROM as anything else. My memory card has recently died as the phone kept reporting it was being unmounted then remounted but this could be the fault of the card, I suppose. It worked fine in my previous phone, however. The accuracy of the battery reading is not very good and, on occasion, I've looked at my phone in the morning to find it has 'apparently' lost charge of around 50% and gone flat. The next night, the battery claims it has only lost 5 or 6% charge when left for the same amount of time. Apps randomly force close on occasion (possibly because of the heat issue?) and I've had SMS messages refuse to send a few times. I generally get around this by wiping the data for the messaging app and rebooting. That seems to work. Another point is that the second SIM often doesn't seem to have any connection showing. A good signal area here where I live so that shouldn't be occurring, not that I've really needed to use this backup SIM! All in all, the ROM (released back in August) is distinctly lacking in polish. An Android 4.2 ROM update has been promised by FAEA but they are less than forthcoming as to when this will become available and I'm rather doubtful, to tell the truth!
Oh! If I was going to get one, that would put me right off! Shame, as I always thought it was quite a good phone :( Especially as it had NFC... Edited by george109