[OFFTOPIC] China Phone Discussion - UPDATED 30/10/2013

Guest kyan31

Guest george109

@Kyan - I have a new poll/Survey link (I have not activated it yet) - Do you want it, as I can post it here...

I can then share the results every week or so, with charts etc

Guest Maringer

What is an NFC tag? What do they do? I have read on the internet, but they can only store like 42 characters...

You can use the NFC chip in the phone to programme the tags as well as read them. Say you use your phone as a satnav in the car? Put a tag in the car (they usually come as stickers or keyfobs) and programme it to start your satnav software, turn off wifi and connect to your bluetooth headset. Then all you need to do when you get to the car is unlock the phone screen, hold the back of the phone against the tag and it will automatically perform the programmed commands, starting up your satnav etc etc leaving you ready to drive off straight away. The tags are really cheap and can be reprogrammed as well if your usage requirements change.

As I say, quite clever technology, but not something I really need!

Guest george109
You can use the NFC chip in the phone to programme the tags as well as read them. Say you use your phone as a satnav in the car? Put a tag in the car (they usually come as stickers or keyfobs) and programme it to start your satnav software, turn off wifi and connect to your bluetooth headset. Then all you need to do when you get to the car is unlock the phone screen, hold the back of the phone against the tag and it will automatically perform the programmed commands, starting up your satnav etc etc leaving you ready to drive off straight away. The tags are really cheap and can be reprogrammed as well if your usage requirements change. As I say, quite clever technology, but not something I really need!
Why did nobody tell me about this before! :huh: I want one! (oh yeah, and an NFC phone! :P) Edited by george109

You can use the NFC chip in the phone to programme the tags as well as read them. Say you use your phone as a satnav in the car? Put a tag in the car (they usually come as stickers or keyfobs) and programme it to start your satnav software, turn off wifi and connect to your bluetooth headset. Then all you need to do when you get to the car is unlock the phone screen, hold the back of the phone against the tag and it will automatically perform the programmed commands, starting up your satnav etc etc leaving you ready to drive off straight away. The tags are really cheap and can be reprogrammed as well if your usage requirements change.

As I say, quite clever technology, but not something I really need!

same, never used it once on my nexus 4, only way i would use it is for payments...

but that has not took off in the uk for some reason (at least not in my area)

like this

@Kyan - I have a new poll/Survey link (I have not activated it yet) - Do you want it, as I can post it here...

I can then share the results every week or so, with charts etc

I think it would be better if the results were open to everyone rather than you having to post an update ever week or so. Maybe I'll just remove the poll altogether until a better solution can be found.

Guest Maringer

same, never used it once on my nexus 4, only way i would use it is for payments...

but that has not took off in the uk for some reason (at least not in my area)

I'm not entirely sure they are allowed to use programmable NFC for payments here in the UK. The Oyster cards used for travel in London use NFC but they use a bespoke system and you couldn't, for example, get an 'Oyster' application on an NFC-enabled phone. The newest 'contactless' credit and debit cards use NFC as well but, again, you couldn't use a banking app on your phone to programme the NFC in your phone.

I'm pretty sure I've read that users in Japan and also perhaps South Korea can use NFC in their phones for making payments so the technology is obviously there. Most of the world just isn't using it as yet. Perhaps in the future.

Hmm, Antelife have let me down and told me that the UMI X2 I ordered is "out of stock". Don't think they want to sell me one for that discounted price.

If they can't offer a similar alternative for the same price I think its refund time.

I'm not entirely sure they are allowed to use programmable NFC for payments here in the UK. The Oyster cards used for travel in London use NFC but they use a bespoke system and you couldn't, for example, get an 'Oyster' application on an NFC-enabled phone. The newest 'contactless' credit and debit cards use NFC as well but, again, you couldn't use a banking app on your phone to programme the NFC in your phone.

I'm pretty sure I've read that users in Japan and also perhaps South Korea can use NFC in their phones for making payments so the technology is obviously there. Most of the world just isn't using it as yet. Perhaps in the future.

that video i posted above is a demonstration of it been used for payments in the uk, so it must be allowed, just don't think it took off here.

some info on it in the uk here http://www.stuff.tv/galaxy-s4/ditch-your-wallet-now-nfc-mobile-payments-explained/feature

i know its used in the US, (Google Wallet) infact in the new version of android 4.4 there is a new option for payments in the settings menu.  

according to the link above this will be available in the uk in 2014

Guest Rico_89

Hi all, haven’t been around here in a while :) , looks like I’ll have to read back a few pages to catch up a little..

I’ve noticed a lot of new phones in the poll and the Jaiyu G4 has been removed? Did anyone actually receive a G4? That was the phone that got a lot of us interested in Chinese phones.

Nice little device - this little ZTE v987 of mine :)

After it was chosen by Miui developers as the first MTK6589 (dual sim) phone for MIUI rom,

then it was chosen by Lewa developers as the first MTK6589 (dual sim) phone for new LeWa v5 rom and

then chosen by Baidu developers as one of the few phones to have new 4.2 Baidu rom,

it is the first phone chosen bla bla...  to carry new 4.2 MTK ShenduOS rom :)

153554w8f3wvxdsbvxw62a.png.thumb.jpg153550t06txqdqzdq1jt6z.png.thumb.jpg

153549181exccauaeub8d8.png.thumb.jpg153545vsste4zse1sazsoo.png.thumb.jpg

Any second thoughts about the best MTK6589 phone?

Nice little device - this little ZTE v987 of mine :)

After it was chosen by Miui developers as the first MTK6589 (dual sim) phone for MIUI rom,

then it was chosen by Lewa developers as the first MTK6589 (dual sim) phone for new LeWa v5 rom and

then chosen by Baidu developers as one of the few phones to have new 4.2 Baidu rom,

it is the first phone chosen bla bla...  to carry new 4.2 MTK ShenduOS rom :)

153554w8f3wvxdsbvxw62a.png.thumb.jpg153550t06txqdqzdq1jt6z.png.thumb.jpg

153549181exccauaeub8d8.png.thumb.jpg153545vsste4zse1sazsoo.png.thumb.jpg

Any second thoughts about the best MTK6589 phone?

I got my Talk 5H now and I've tried MIUI\Lenovo Vibe\Lewa and a few others and to me they are all look the same

you may get a option or two more but that's it. I'm sticking with Miui V5 for the time being.

You missed the point, my post was not about chinese rom quality or diversity...

:)

Anyway, Shendu was the only decent chinese JB rom running on G300`s tiny 512MB.

Another option was CM10.x from Dazzozo or that hungarian developer.

MTK does not have its CM.

MTKs with 512 MB ram will be happy with Shendu development. 

Probably

What Nexus has to do with this topic?

If it was north korean origin we could

associate it to China phone discussion, though.

Edited by dakok

What Nexus has to do with this topic?

If it was north korean origin we could

associate it to China phone discussion, though.

lol get a grip... what does this fourm have to do with the G300... its an off topic forum about other phones. 

do you think people who view this forum have no interest in the nexus 5, and what the price was going to be, and what android 4.4 kit kat has to offer...

which will be on future china phones... and possibly the G300 (CM11)

Some info on kit kat 4.4

http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/30/android-kitkat-leak-entry-level-phone-wearable-sensors/

http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/31/android-4-4-kitkat-launch/

its optimised to work on lower end devices with 512MB RAM

Edit:

Hands on video with 4.4 on the Nexus 5

http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/31/5051984/android-4-4-kit-kat-hands-on-walkthrough-video

Nexus 5 hands on 

Guest Frankish

I'm selling my W200. Don't know whether to go eBay, gumtree as it isn't very well known. Perfect condition so I'm sure someone would pay a good amount to avoid waiting for shipping etc.

Not sure where we stand on buying Chinese phones with the whole battery thing going on?

lol get a grip... what does this fourm have to do with the G300... its an off topic forum about other phones. 

Hmmm, you mixed up sumthin  :blink:

Nope, the right question is:

what does established and well known korean phone (with established and well known android OS)

theme do in China Phone Discussion topic.

China Phone Discussion is a topic for members that want to know more about China

phones with chinese OSes.

There is a ton of websites discussing Nexus and Google.

No point in pushing that subject in here. Simple as that.  :D

Not sure where we stand on buying Chinese phones with the whole battery thing going on?

Singapore Post (one battery per parcel), Deutsche Post and PostNord (sweden) are receiving

and transporting batteries...

Edited by dakok

Shendu OS released its first MTK 4.2 rom for ZTE v987 and Lenovo P780 yesterday

Here is some interesting info

that probably goes for both models (google translate):

About Shendu OS

Shendu OS is based on the AOSP (Android Open Source Project),
CyanogenMod10 and AOKP (Android Open Source Kang Project)
from the integration of the Android system. The current release version is Android 4.1.2.
Development is aimed at making the Android system to better meet people's habits and
aesthetic point of view, to do more convenient, easier to use mobile operating system.

Update cycle
Shendu OS official versions fortnightly update in the update released on Monday
week update log, update week about 14:00 Friday afternoon release.

1. Set interface
On the setting items have been reclassified and divided, streamline operations, providing
common settings interface that allows users to quickly locate their desired setting item, so
settings no longer cumbersome and complex.

3. Guest mode
Offers visitors model, do not want others to open applications and data for deep protection,
which greatly improves the user too protective of their privacy, no longer have to worry about
their privacy discovered by others.

9. Desktop
New desktop design, remove the app drawer, automatically remove blank pages, innovative editing
mode, supports slide into edit mode, bring down the status bar and other gestures, handy program
folder actions, plug-ins and other custom sizes, etc. functions you to dig!
Edited by dakok

Hmmm, you mixed up sumthin   :blink:

Nope, the right question is:

what does established and well known korean phone (with established and well known android OS)

theme do in China Phone Discussion topic.

China Phone Discussion is a topic for members that want to know more about China

phones with chinese OSes.

There is a ton of websites discussing Nexus and Google.

No point in pushing that subject in here. Simple as that.   :D

i mixed nothing up... china phones have nothing to do with this forum for the G300... that's why this is OFFTOPIC

and you don't tell me what i can and can't post,  if you don't like it don't read it... 

all i have posted is info on a phone that just released with the latest version of android, some people here will be interested in it... 

your posts crying about what i have posted is no use to anyone...

at the end of the day i know some people who view this thread regularly where interested in getting a nexus 5 and obviously what 4.4 brings..

if your not, don't read it Simple as that... causing arguments about it is no good for anyone and a wast of time. 

Guest Maringer

I think it's quite likely that the Nexus 5 is manufactured somewhere in China so we're all good. :)

A heck of a lot of phone there but I'm cheap enough that it's somewhat over a hundred quid more that I really want to spend on a phone at the moment. Think I'll wait until after Christmas to see what the latest and greatest MTK phones with 6592 or 6588 can offer.

and you don't tell me what i can and can post,  if you don't like it don't read it... 

all i have posted is info on a phone that just released with the latest version of android, some people here will be interested in it... 

your posts crying about what i have posted is no use to anyone...

You have mixed the word "forum" with "topic", but nevermind that :)

And nobody told you what you may post here :) I would be rather stupid to do so.

Cool it down, man...

:P

You have mixed the word "forum" with "topic", but nevermind that :)

And nobody told you what you may post here :) I would be rather stupid to do so.

Cool it down, man...

:P

nope, this is posted in a forum for the G300, which has topics inside  ;)

look at the URL http://www.modaco.com/forum/650-huawei-ascend-g300-g300modacocom/ for the main page

then the one for this page.

Guest apple2005

In my opinion this thread is specific for Chinese phones as the name suggests. All people here are interested in Chinese phones only. So please other phones like Samsung, Sony etc etc should not be discussed here. Thanks.

Guest apple2005

@dakok : Did you get your phone zte v967s yet? From where you bought it and how much? I bought from a shop in aliexpress for 132 dollars with 4 gb card but has to cancel the order due to the shop telling lies to me that it was in stock. In fact it wasn't. Now I want to buy from somewhere else. Where is the cheapest? Thanks.