[OFFTOPIC] China Phone Discussion - UPDATED 30/10/2013

Guest kyan31

Guest Maringer

The Moto G's relatively small storage space and lack of micro SD card slot really puts it at a disadvantage to the chinese phones. I know it is possible to get a small OTG card reader to get extra storage, but this is something else to carry around and would also mean you couldn't charge the phone at the same time.

With the media playback and recording capabilities of modern phones, the decision to cripple them with small amounts of storage is a big disappointment.

the moto G now has a GPE edition so it will be well supported with official updates until at least 3 more versions of android, to me its like a nexus mini.

Guest Maringer

I see that a dual-SIM version of the Moto G has been released in some territories as well. Wonder if any of these will find their way over to the UK? Dual-SIM support would take another advantage away from the china phones manufacturers. However, it looks to me as though there won't be any 32GB+ versions of these cheaper phones, at least not for some time. The manufacturers rather cynically seem to only produce higher-end phones with 32GB+ of storage.

With cameras in the high-end phones capable of recording full HD 60fps video and some mid-range phones supporting full HD at 30fps, it really is ridiculous that the manufacturers feel they can get away with releasing devices with just 16GB of non-expandable storage.

I see that a dual-SIM version of the Moto G has been released in some territories as well. Wonder if any of these will find their way over to the UK? Dual-SIM support would take another advantage away from the china phones manufacturers. However, it looks to me as though there won't be any 32GB+ versions of these cheaper phones, at least not for some time. The manufacturers rather cynically seem to only produce higher-end phones with 32GB+ of storage.

With cameras in the high-end phones capable of recording full HD 60fps video and some mid-range phones supporting full HD at 30fps, it really is ridiculous that the manufacturers feel they can get away with releasing devices with just 16GB of non-expandable storage.

its something that seems to get over looked all the time, when you think how far mobile tech has advanced over the last 5 years,

single core to Octa Core, 512mb RAM to 3GB RAM, VGA to 4K recording (Acer been the first, more will follow) VGA display to 2K displays

and more things i probably missed...

yet the size of flash memory has not changed at all 8GB / 16GB and in rare cases 32GB / 64GB (Samsung / Apple)  

and the price for them has not seemed to lower at all over the last 5 year, unlike everything else..

You would think 32GB would be the standard today and the higher end devices moved on to 124GB at least, because the size of 4k videos phones are starting to recoding in are ridiculously big.   

Guest Maringer

I think I've decided that I need a better camera on my next phone. Something relatively cheap but, reputedly, with a decent camera such as a Huawei Honor 3C or possibly the new Dakele phone which has been previewed?

http://www.gizchina.com/2014/01/23/dakele-shows-new-macro-feature-soon-launch-flagship-phone/

As I'm intending to wait a few months now, it will be interesting to see what other devices are released with improved cameras.

Guest apple2005

I think I've decided that I need a better camera on my next phone. Something relatively cheap but, reputedly, with a decent camera such as a Huawei Honor 3C or possibly the new Dakele phone which has been previewed?

http://www.gizchina.com/2014/01/23/dakele-shows-new-macro-feature-soon-launch-flagship-phone/

As I'm intending to wait a few months now, it will be interesting to see what other devices are released with improved cameras.

My priority is not camera centered. Off course it should have a decent camera which I can use occasionally but my priority is big screen, at least 5.7 inches with gorilla glass. So that I can put in my pocket without cover. The cover make the phone much bigger.

just been looking at the octa-core phones on merrimobiles and they are all 5inch plus... some even 6.5inch, crazy... 

http://www.merimobiles.com/8-core/ anyone know of any 4.7inch?

Umeox X5 apparently now the worlds thinnest phone @ 5.6mm

http://www.ADVERT LINK REMOVED.com/news/Worlds-thinnest-reclaimed-5.6mm-Umeox-X5-coming-by-end-of-year_id44480

and lenovo buying Motorola ? nexus style china phones ???  

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25956284

Guest Wacky.ddw

Personally if i where to buy a new phone right now i would buy a nexus 5 or a Xperia Z1. I am still loving my xiaomi m2s but in the future i would want 5" and LTE (4g)

But going to another phone i would really miss the 2 system partitions wich makes it very easy to dualboot. I now have WIUI on system 1 and Cyanogenmod on system 2. And i really like that i can switch from time to time.

Has buying phones from China become less of a bargain and died a death, compared to last year there is not much activity on this discussion

Compared to last year there is no much activity in g300 development discussion either :)

Guess why. :)

This is the g300 sub thread - and many folks got themselves a new phone - so they don`t care much for this forum now.

Regarding the new best buys - there are few interesting candidates:

Coolpad Great God F1 aka 8297 - octa core, extremely cheap - under $150 - restricted to TD SCDMA version at present

Huawei 3C - another budget phone, with a decent camera

Hasee E50 S1 - cheapest 2GB RAM phone

Dakele mini Cola - Low price 7mm phone with great camera - IMX175 (found on iPhone and some other high class phones)

Interestingly, the main thing in chinese phone avertising is the relation to Hongmi and Huavei Honor 3C.

Many new models are named as Hongmi/Honor "killer" "butcher" and so on...

Another thing - there are no quad MTK6582 & octa MTK6592 chinese roms yet (Miui, Lewa, Baidu, Shendu)

I hope they will find their ways soon - since the Miui/Lewa support is a good hint for buying a phone ;)

EDIT: It seems that there is something going on at Lewa - Huawei Honor 3C is going to be one of the first MTK6582 with LewaOS :)

http://bbs.lewaos.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=198518

EDIT2: I forgot about two more interesting best buys:

Mlais MX28 - should be under $100 (quad MTK6582) and

Jiayu G2F - Sould be under $100, too - wcdma version is promised to be out soon - has Lewa rom and a working Miui v5

Edited by dakok

Compared to last year there is no much activity in g300 development discussion either :)

Guess why. :)

This is the g300 sub thread - and many folks got themselves a new phone - so they don`t care much for this forum now.

Understand what you are saying, so maybe this thread "china phone discussion" should be moved to be one in its own right.

I sent a message to a moderator:

Hi Andy!

There is a very interesting topic regarding general china phone discussion burried inside (now-not-so-popular) Huawei G300 discussion. Since many g300 users are switching to a new phone now, that topic is slowly dying. 

Any chance for moving it to a better place?
http://www.modaco.co...102013/page-154

Guest apple2005
I sent a message to a moderator: You can try with another one: http://www.modaco.com/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=stats&do=leaders
Is this really matters wherever the thread is? I found this thread for the first time by Googling. And still I am following. I don't know where actually the thread is placed. Edited by apple2005

• 2 weeks later...

Just to keep you updated:

Low budget Best Buy candidates for 2014.:

Mlais MX28

Chilli Pepper Unicom version with MSM8228 CPU - announced today

Under $120 in China

You are mismatching phones and SoCs.

• Mlais MX28 -> MTK6582
  • Chili Pepper -> MSM8228

Chili has great specifications and price, but I don`t get one thing:

Several Chinese big mobile portals announced that  

China Unicom version (UMTS/WCDMA) is officialy out on February 21st (China Mobile version with MTK6582 SoC is in stores already)

I don't get why there is not a single word about this on western websites.

Gizchina (and others) usualy covers every single news about china mobile phones?

Guest Costy88031

Hy guys. I want to change my phone and I want something with 8core and under 250$. Can someone recommend me something? I saw this http://www.geekbuying.com/item/JIAKE-X3S-MTK6592-Octa-Core-Smartphone-1-7GHz-2GB-16GB-5Inch-Android-4-2-Air-Gesture-Golden-324573.html

Anyone know something about this manufacturer?

But about this http://www.geekbuying.com/item/THL-W200S-5-0Inch-MTK6592-Octa-core-Cell-Phone-IPS-HD-Screen-1GB-RAM-32GB-ROM-8-0MP-Android4-2-3G-GPS-OTG-NFC-ACC-Speak-324601.html

Thanks in advance

Guest metal.mickey

HI, all.

its upgrade time to im looking for a 4.5/4.7 incher probably quad core running JB or KitKat if possible.

can anyone suggest a phone for around a ton, but with a community, as a rooting/modding novice id like to able to install and backup any available roms but may need some assistance from an english speaking community. The K1 i have has a big following in italy and russian, which makes translations for a noob difficult.

thanks

MM

You are mismatching phones and SoCs.

• Mlais MX28 -> MTK6582
  • Chili Pepper -> MSM8228

OK - I thought from your earlier post that the Chili Pepper/MSM8228 was an upgraded version of the MX28. Apologies for any confusion caused.