[OFFTOPIC] China Phone Discussion - UPDATED 30/10/2013

Guest kyan31

Guest h3dshot

thanks for the info guys. I've just sent a message to matrix store on aliexpress. I'll order from them as soon as they get back to me. Looking at £113 for the phone +case+screen protector+accessories (and if i get hit with customs it'll be £126, which still isnt a bad price for the phone).

Guest jamie_w

I note that the Hongmi 1S WCDMA version has now been released:

http://www.spemall.com/Xiaomi-Hongmi-Red-Rice-1s-WCDMA-version-Smart-Phone-with-MIUI-V5-OS-MTK-MT6589T-Quad-Core-1-5GHz-4-7-Inch-1280-720-pixels-IPS-Screen-GPS-8-0MP-Back-Camera-1GB-8GB_g.html

Not too bad an upgrade over the original Hongmi and a decent price, but you can get MT6592 phones for not much more, albeit without the same type of software support you get from Xiaomi.

I have the hongmi and its a great phone, but the main issue I have is the lack of official support from miui. They class this phone as a phone for the young or elderly so the support is poorer. I've had mine since December and I've only had about 3 updates!

Guest Maringer

Really? I just assumed that Xiaomi would provide reasonably regular updates for the Hongmi/Redmi, even if not weekly ones.

Seems a strange choice when so many phones from other manufacturers receive weekly updates.

Guest tillaz

betting a few people who got the original moto G are feeling kind of ripped off ? since they have released a 4G version with an SDcard slot around 6 month later...

glad i sold mine when i did, the Moto E is also not what the leaks suggested as its way off 6.2mm.

anyone know much about the Doogee DG550 ?  thinking of getting it for a friend, looks good for £100 

Guest jamie_w

Really? I just assumed that Xiaomi would provide reasonably regular updates for the Hongmi/Redmi, even if not weekly ones.

Seems a strange choice when so many phones from other manufacturers receive weekly updates.

I think you can get unofficial weekly ones, but with it being an official Miui phone I've never looked into it. From what I've read the other Xiaomi phones get regular updates but the Hongmi isn't classed as important enough.

Guest metal.mickey

HI All,

Ive had a newman K1 5.3 incher, a Doogee 2014 5.0 incher and im now looking for a cheap work phone. Its gonna get dirty and scratched but id like another 5.0 inch screen. The GPS really needs to work. Screen res isnt really a proirity but a good camera is.

can anyone point me in the right direction.

MM

Guest Maringer

Depends how you define 'budget', really. The Coolpad F1 is pretty cheap, but not super-cheap. GPS seems pretty good - I get a fix within seconds when testing though I've not attempted to use it for navigation or tracking. The 13mp Sony camera is very good for a budget device as well. THe fast f2.0 lens is a heck of a lot better than the crummy camera in my last phone.

I'd definitely recommend this phone from what I've seen of it so far.

I'm not sure whether the improved GPS is due to the MT6592 chipset or a proper antenna in the phone. I've heard reasonable reports of GPS in the quad-core MT6582 so perhaps this has the same GPS improvement as the octa-core chips? Certainly a lot better than most of the 6589 chips.

Guest metal.mickey

Cmon, wheres that weath of knowledge about the China phone industry. This thread is turning into how long it takes your phone to arrive and whether you had to pay duty.

The cool pad f1 is a 5.5 inch brick. Any other suggestions?

Looks like I'll have to brave the China phone industry alone.

Guest hecatae

Can i be the first little fish to bite at that comment and say... troll.

The Coolpad F1 price/spec is great!

I actually agree with metal.mickey

Guest goodfella123

Please could you both provide alternatives.

I like the look of the coolpad F1 and for the price you seem to get a good spec.

I know the THL 5000 is due to be released, but how soon and how much more than the coolpad will it be?

If you can suggest alternatives to the coolpad F1 at a similar price i'd be grateful.

Guest Maringer

Cmon, wheres that weath of knowledge about the China phone industry. This thread is turning into how long it takes your phone to arrive and whether you had to pay duty.

The cool pad f1 is a 5.5 inch brick. Any other suggestions?

Looks like I'll have to brave the China phone industry alone.

Oh dear. Reading comprehension fail.

You ask about a cheap phone with a 5 inch screen. I suggest one, comment that it's pretty good, and you bitch about it? Classy.

Guest dakok

Metal.Mickey, did you actually notice that Coolpad F1 is 5 incher, not 5.5?

If you want an alternative - the only real competitor is Huawei Honor 3C at similar price.

Coolpad F1's biggest advantage is faster CPU + faster GPU

I follow sales numbers in China lately and these two are the best sellers. You have another one - Xiaomi Redmi 1S

with snapdragon SoC

Did you know that Coolpad signed a 1.6 billion USD contract for exclusive Coolpad F1 sale with one of the largest on-line stores - JD.com?

regarding China phones topic I made a short article about SAR testing and results for several phones. Although it is in croatian, you can see the results in tables, showing the SAR values for:

• right head side 
  • left head side
  • 1.5cm from body
Edited by dakok

Guest dalyer

And if you want an alternative then do some research yourself and post the details rather than depending on others to do the legwork for you and then bitching about it when they don't! FFS...  :angry:

Guest dalyer

I know the THL 5000 is due to be released, but how soon and how much more than the coolpad will it be?

Who knows. As far as I can see from recent reports neither release date nor price have been announced or hinted at ...

Guest metal.mickey

Booommmm. And were back on thread....

Many thanks for all of your responses. I appologise for the coolpad sentiment as i thought it was a 5.5 incher. I was intending to draw the hive mind of the thread to seek alternatives for a budget handset. My internet resources on chinese phones consists of this forum and GizChina, with this being my "goto" knowledge base.

Many months ago before i bought my first chinese handset this forum was alight with new phones, cheap alteratives for almost any budget and phone size (vowney v 5, jaiyu g3 thl w300, but recently the thread has turned into a chat room with very little info about new phones, with exception of the ones that are currently being acquired by forum members.

Thanks Dakok for the info regarding sar ratings and for alternatives on the F1. Ill look into them. Can you suggest any internet alternative about china phones

Dayler, you obvouisly missed my review of the Doogee DG2014 3 months ago. Im a contributor as well as a forum user.

Its thanks to this forum that i know what i do about Chinese phones and I appreciate that the population of the forum is small so could all contributors in future keep the content posted relevant and concise.

Again apologies for lighting the fire, but the result is a credit to the contributors who have a genuine interest in the chinese market.

MM

Guest metal.mickey

LOL

you guys are far too serious, you all need to take a chill pill.

Just because you hang out here doesnt mean you own the thread.

Ive aready apologised to the poster who suggested the F1, which is over £150, so not a "budget" phone and  Ive also thanked Dakok for his extensive insight into the market.

Even the Mods have acknowledged the thread is going in the wrong direction. Accept a few words of constructive critisism and move on.

I dont even know why your even responding to this as you werent even addressed in the orignal post. I asked for asistance for selecting a phone to which 1 person replied.

Have a nice evening.

MM

Guest Maringer

"Budget" is pretty loose terminology.

I paid about £135 for the Coolpad including delivery by DHL and a £13.00 duty/VAT charge. Would have been about £115 if I'd opted for a regular delivery service and it is selling cheaper now as well.

The following page lists a number of cheaper phones in a cheaper price bracket:

http://www.gizchina.com/2014/05/03/andis-top-10-unlocked-100-150-android-phones-can-now/

Perhaps look at one of those if you don't want to pay around £115 for a device such as the Coolpad?

Guest dalyer

plus £17 delivery and £20 DHL tax

I just paid €133 for mine from Eternal Team on AliExpress.

That's GB£108.

I've never gotten hit for customs on import to Ireland but if I do this time I'll let you know.

Some might argue that £108 for an octocore phone of the specs of the F1 fits into the "budget" category.

Some might argue otherwise.

Edited by dalyer

Guest metal.mickey

thanks alot for the updates, i must have miss read the merimobiles prices $ / £ , and £108 isnt unreasonable for an octacore phone, although since im looking for something that neednt be top spec for work the camera /satnav was my priority im guess im looking at maybe a snapdragon soc.

a humble MM

thanks for your patience