[OFFTOPIC] China Phone Discussion - UPDATED 30/10/2013

Guest kyan31

Guest dakok

Sure it is weaker than mtk6592, but it has few big pluses. Great camera and great grades on several chinese portals. Zol.com and PConline rate it over 4.6/5. If Coolpad f1 wcdma didn't show up recently, I'd go for this one...

Guest Maringer

A One-Plus One 'Mini' might be of interest, providing one with 64GB was released. Not likely, however.

I'm guessing the One-Plus One will be about as easy to come by as Hen's teeth for the foreseeable future. High-end devices from start-ups don't tend to be in ample supply as the big manufacturers are always going to call dibs on supplies of the newest processors and fastest memory.

Anyone seen the accer liquid E3 ? 3 uk are selling it for £135 according to the video has a new camera which is good in low light, first phone I have seen with front flash as well, mediatek Soc puts me off though

Link http://store.three.co.uk/mobile/view/product/ql_catalog/threecatdevice/20400;jsessionid=AC2C8F2591CEEDE752B4AB3280B66450?sort=payGPriceValue-ascending&priceplan=PAYG&type=HANDSET

Acer Liquid E3 on Three. Sneak peek.:

Acer Liquid E3 is now available on contract with Three. PAYG is still out of stock but hopefully coming very soon. Also Acer have "promised" an upgrade to Kitkat later this year.

Rear camera is 13MP  f/1.8 which should make it great in low light. Can't find any test photos yet online though  :angry:

Guest grabster

More than happy with the coolpad f1 i just got for the missus.

Feels like a well made serious piece of kit.

If i didn't have my moto g i would get one for myself.

Now i am looking for a  phone as a pressie for my son who is suffering with his still stock g300.

Hopefully 5 inch screen for a max of about £90

Any suggestions ?

I would prefer to use aliexpress as i have used them a few times now and am happy to use them again.

Guest tillaz

Motorola moto E is supposed to be announced on the 13th at the press event in London

and "supposedly" only cost £60, motorola say they are announcing a phone "at a price for all" which is made to last... what ever that means ha. said to be only 6.2mm

http://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/news/2014/05/motorola_to_announce_next_phone_on_may_13/

anyone know of any china phones that are 4.3inch or 4.5inch with MT6592 or MT6732 / MT6752 (64 Bit)

released or soon to be ?

Guest Maringer

Problem with that one is that Motorola are unlikely to offer SD card expansion. I don't believe they've released a phone which supports SD cards for over a year now?

If the report that it contains just 4GB storage is correct, you're going to be pretty limited, and I can't imagine too many kids would be happy with a phone on which they couldn't store plenty of music/games/photos/videos etc.

As for your question about phones with MT6732 or MT6752, I don't think either of these chips have been released as yet. Doubt that devices containing either of these chips will be available until October or later.

The only 4.5" phone with the MT6592 that I've heard of is the Jiayu G5S and the Jiayu G4S has a 4.7" screen with the same chip. The main problem with Jiayu is that they don't support the 900MHz WCDMA frequency used by some of the UK networks (O2 and Vodafone plus the MVNOs who piggyback on their network such as giffgaff, Tesco, Lyca and others) alongside the standard 2100MHz frequency. Otherwise, they seem to be well-built and compact devices.

Edit: For grabster, this Cubot P9 seems a good fit for your requirements? Again, no 900Mhz support unfortunately, but otherwise, this ought to be available pretty cheap. No idea how good a phone it is, however!

http://cubot.cc/cubot-p9.html

Actually, second edit, I see that only has 512KB memory. How about this Huawei G610:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Russian-Turkish-Huawei-Ascend-G610-MTK6589M-Quad-Core-1-2GHz-5-960-540-IPS-Screen-1GB/1673303588.html

No idea if that seller is good or not, but they do have 100% positive feedback!

Edited by Maringer

Guest tillaz

If the moto E only has 4GB storage it should have an sdcard slot, and some reports suggest it has but that's just speculation. Google where / are eagainst external storage but lenovo own moto now so things might change.

Still hoping the apparent $100 nexus with mediatek is true, which I doubt :(

Guest Maringer

I hope we do get a Nexus with a MediaTek chip because this would mean some up-to-date KitKat code for the MTK chipsets! Fingers-crossed this could be backward compatible with some of the older chipsets - including the MT6592 in the Coolpad I've just ordered!

However, if this was to be the case, I'm guessing we wouldn't see this until MT6595 is available at the very least and more probably not until Cortex A57 chipsets are available in 2015.

It will be interesting to see what the Moto E will offer - I'd sort of forgotten that Lenovo had bought the company. That said, I'd imagine the Moto E has been in development for some time so, if originally designed without SD Card support, this is unlikely to be changed.

Guest dakok

Qualcomm promised a cheap SOC for Q3 2014. I guess Motorola could have one of those.

Maringer, welcome to F1 club :)

Edited by dakok

Guest Maringer

I'm getting quite excited about my new phone. Hope it doesn't take too long to arrive from China and I also hope I will be able to get a less buggy ROM than on my current phone - FAEA F1 - support for which was abandoned pretty much as soon as it was released!

I hope the fact that both phones are called the F1 isn't an ominous sign... ;)

Guest jamjamjam

The only 4.5" phone with the MT6592 that I've heard of is the Jiayu G5S and the Jiayu G4S has a 4.7" screen with the same chip. The main problem with Jiayu is that they don't support the 900MHz WCDMA frequency used by some of the UK networks (O2 and Vodafone plus the MVNOs who piggyback on their network such as giffgaff, Tesco, Lyca and others) alongside the standard 2100MHz frequency. Otherwise, they seem to be well-built and compact devices.

Seems the G4S does, well maybe - there is a lot of conflicting info but quite a few sites say it has e.g. http://www.jiayu-store.com/jiayu-g4-mtk6592-octa-core-4-7-inch-ips-screen-dual-camera-android-smart-phone.html  | http://www.jiayuofficial.com/jiayu-g4-mtk6589-android-4-2-quad-core-2gb-ram-32gb-rom-4-7-inch-hd-ips-retina-screen-13mp-camera-gyroscope-basic-smart-mobile-phone-black.html

I put together a comparison of phones similar to the Coolpad F1 around £120 if anyone's interested..

All have 2GB RAM and IPS OGS displays.

Haipai X3S - £126

For

Metal casing
6.9mm thin

Against

Small 2000mah battery
No Gorilla glass
No Sony cam 

JIAYU G4S - £119

For

Gorilla Glass
Sony Cam
Large 3000mah battery

Against

Comparatively thick at 10mm
Plastic body

THL T11 - £126

For

Gorilla Glass
Large 2750mah battery

Against

Plastic body
No Sony Cam

Coolpad F1 - £115

For

Gorilla Glass
Decent 2500mah battery
Sony Cam

Against

Plastic body
Comparatively small 8GB internal memory
Comparatively thick at 9.3mm

Edited by jamjamjam

Guest dakok

Just to add few comments:

Coolpad is more like £108

Huawei Honor 3C is £108

They are the two best selling phones in China now, with best owner grades...

Only in the UK though? Like the Hudl?

It has not been possible to buy the Hudl in Ireland (Republic) to date.

No more information at the moment. I'm surprised Tesco only limited the Hudl to the UK, I would have thought Ireland would have been an obvious sales target.

Guest dalyer

Anybody who got a Hudl here got it over the border in Northern Ireland or else from mainland UK possibly by Parcel Motel as far as I know.

Guest Maringer

I note that the Hongmi 1S WCDMA version has now been released:

http://www.spemall.com/Xiaomi-Hongmi-Red-Rice-1s-WCDMA-version-Smart-Phone-with-MIUI-V5-OS-MTK-MT6589T-Quad-Core-1-5GHz-4-7-Inch-1280-720-pixels-IPS-Screen-GPS-8-0MP-Back-Camera-1GB-8GB_g.html

Not too bad an upgrade over the original Hongmi and a decent price, but you can get MT6592 phones for not much more, albeit without the same type of software support you get from Xiaomi.

Guest dakok

Not a bad choice if the real pice will remain where it is now. Has a SoC that I hoped Chili Pepper WCDMA model will have.

2GB of RAM would be nice, too.

Pretty low ratings at Zol, though - 3.7/5 from 110 users