[OFFTOPIC] China Phone Discussion - UPDATED 30/10/2013

Guest kyan31

Guest trashbat

Guys has there been any discussion of the oneplus in this thread? Sorry if I have asked a dumb question but I haven't read this thread since I bought my Vowney v5 a long time ago.

I am selling my nexus 4 and an s3 I picked up off a friend recently and am looking at the f1 as a replacement, are there any drawbacks when it comes to camera and gps/compass with this phone?

At the minute I am tempted to hold out for the widespread release of oneplus invites at the end of June

Guest Maringer

Not much been said about the OnePlus on this forum as yet. I'm of the view that it will take some time before it is widely available, especially outside of China. Lots of hype generated by their marketing campaign but I think you would do well if you managed to get one of these phones within the next 3 or 4 months!

GPS and camera on the Coolpad F1 are both pretty good, especially when you consider the price of the phone, but I'm not sure how they might compare to a Nexus 4 or SGS3.

Guest dalyer

I just paid €133 for mine from Eternal Team on AliExpress.

That's GB£108.

I've never gotten hit for customs on import to Ireland but if I do this time I'll let you know.

Some might argue that £108 for an octocore phone of the specs of the F1 fits into the "budget" category.

Some might argue otherwise.

Arrived today.

Actually it cost €130.38.

And it's down to US$169 or about €124/£101 at the moment on ET/AliExpress.

No additional charges on arrival. 

Happy days...

http://www.modaco.com/topic/371968-coolpad-f1-8297w/page-36#entry2213536

Edited by dalyer

Guest h3dshot

Can i be the first little fish to bite at that comment and say... troll.

The Coolpad F1 price/spec is great!

you're not alone :D the troll got the size wrong too. it's 5" and about as far from a brick as you can get! im very pleased with mine, especially the battery life

http://www.pandawill.com/mlais-mx59-smartphone-mtk6589t-2g-32g-50-inch-ips-fhd-screen-android-42-otg-silver-p89555.html

Pandawill were selilng an MX59 at a good price, sold out now though.

Anybody any opinions on this, looked too good to resist at that price!!

EDIT: Looks like they were doing a bait and switch, took orders (and payment) for the phones but does not look like they have any to send out (asking people to wait for their 'next shipment' or choose something else from their site).

Edited by SG8

Guest dalyer

Are you sure that this seller is legit?

AnTuTu of 210,642 according to the photo! :D  :wacko:

Another photo has AnTuTu of 10,642 so my guess is that they tried to fake 21,064 but didn't even manage to do that fakery properly! 

Lanmi A368C in case anybody wants to find info about the phone itself.

Edited by dalyer

Guest dalyer

Yeah - just noticed that after I posted... :D

Something fishy about that ad/seller.

I'd be skeptical.

But I can't see that phone model for sale elsewhere to see what others are charging for it....

Guest tillaz

Are you sure that this seller is legit?

AnTuTu of 210,642 according to the photo! :D  :wacko:

Another photo has AnTuTu of 10,642 so my guess is that they tried to fake 21,064 but didn't even manage to do that fakery properly! 

Lanmi A368C in case anybody wants to find info about the phone itself.

100% fake score, the most powerfull mobile chip right now is the tegra k1 and that scores 50,000,

the future is looking bright for mobile gaming as this is said to blow the ps3 & xbox 360 out of the water performance wise and only requires 5% of their power.

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/tegra-k1-processor-uk.html

Guest Maringer

The K1 is only going to be a Tablet chip though as power draw is a good bit higher than the top end Snapdragons and other high-end chips. I don't think NV are planning to market it into phones. That said, it's a very powerful chipset so it would possibly surpass the current high-end chips even if underclocked and undervolted to reduce power consumption to a similar level.

Later this year, the quad-core Intel Moorefield (Atom) chipsets are coming out and it will be interesting to keep an eye on these. It has been rumoured that Intel are offering these chips really, really cheap to get a real toehold in the market. These should outperform the top end Snapdragons so, if they are very cheap, that has to be good for the consumer!

Guest tillaz

Sure i read there will be two variants of the k1, think the dual core version is amied at phones,

only problem with Intel is the last time i looked they where making life hard to get bootloaders unlocked and not been helpfull with sources, and the fact that everything android was based around ARM everything needed redone so development never really took off, not sure where its at today though, app compatibility was another problem but think the majority of apps / games people use are updated now.

Guest Maringer

The K1 is actually coming in two different versions. One is a quad-core (well, 4+1 helper core) Cortex-A15 and the other is Dual-core 'Denver' which is the name for NVidia's bespoke ARM v8 CPU. I'd imagine the quad-core K1 will be released several months before the Denver K1, though both are due in 2014. NVidia's hasn't been great at getting chips out on time of late so it wouldn't surprise me to see the Denver K1 slip to 2015. If the Cyclone in the Apple A7 chipset is any indication, dual-core is powerful enough if you have a high enough IPC. Here's some info about the K1(s):

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7622/nvidia-tegra-k1

Here's the comment which indicates they are not concentrating on the phone market:

http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/nvidia-ceo-sees-future-in-cars-and-gaming-q-a/

Guest bartman11

I'm looking for a bit of help in choosing my next phone, was wondering if any of you knowledgeable people here could help.

I've had my G300 for a couple of years - I managed to follow the idiot's guide and installed the Infusion rom (thanks Tillaz!), mainly for the purpose if getting rid of the cr*pware on the stock rom - I don't really have the expertise or interest to keep dabbling in different roms.

I've been looking at the Jiayu g4s from here, I was wondering first of all why it's not being discussed here as much as the Coolpad F1 as the specs seem better and it's not such an unwieldy screen size, and secondly, when I've decided which phone I want, what you think of ordering from Etotalk - I assume that their "Mod rom" would mean that the thing is ready to go with bloatware removed - does anybody know about that?

Any help will be gratefully received  :)

Guest bartman11

Thanks dalyer, not too worried about the camera tbh. I was impressed by the higher capacity battery on the Jiayu though.

I would also like to know about peoples' experiences of buying from Etotalk , and what their "Mod rom" is like.

Guest Maringer

One thing to note is that the Jiayu doesn't appear support 900MHz frequency 3G which is used by a number of western networks, just the standard 2100MHz used by pretty much everyone. This may not be an issue for you if your network doesn't use this frequency, but mine does (O2 and Vodafone in the UK both use 900 + 2100MHz). The 900Mhz frequency provides a stronger 3G signal indoors than the standard 2100MHz.

Guest dalyer

I presume that you've seen this review?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2746900 

I haven't seen a useful side by side comparison of the Coolpad F1 and Jiayu G4s so far...

Differences so far... camera (Coolpad's better?), supported frequencies (see above), battery (Jiayu's better?), storage (Jiayu's better - 16GB?).

Edited by dalyer

Guest bartman11

I hadn't seen that review - thanks for that. 

As far as  the 3G frequency is concerned, that review does refer to WDCMA 900/2100 MHz, and so does Etotalk in the link on my original post - so that doesn't appear to be an issue.

Guest Maringer

That's interesting - I've never seen any of the Jiayu phones advertise 900MHz support before. Perhaps it comes with the MT6592 version only?

Reading through the review itself, it doesn't appear to flatter the phone too much. Other than the slightly larger battery, I'd say that the Coolpad F1 has it beaten in pretty much every area.

Of course, if you think a 5" phone is too big then you might want to go with the Jiayu which is a little smaller. Not by much, however.

Guest bartman11

Yes, I agree that there's not all that much difference in screen size. It's still a little too big for me, I don't really want something approaching tablet size, I'd rather go for pocket sized portability.

Other than the camera, the fact that it's not quite as slim, and a possible wifi bug, I don't see which areas the Coolpad beats it.

It has a compass function which the Coolpad doesn't, and a feature I've not seen in others where you can toggle root from the stock rom. I agree though that the extra 500mAh on the battery probably won't make a lot of difference. And it has gorilla glass - I see the reviewer said that he had some scratches and that he doubted whether it was in fact gorilla glass - I'd be surprised if they would attempt to make a false claim about that, it's not exactly an unknown brand.