[OFFTOPIC] China Phone Discussion - UPDATED 30/10/2013

Guest kyan31

Guest Wacky.ddw

I am really doubting if i should wait for the release of the Jiayu G4 i have no doubts that it will be an awesome phone for a really good price. But i am scared that i will buy it and a new android will come out and it wont get ported because of the MT6589 CPU + That it wont get as mutch custom ROMs like cyanogenmod 10 as far as i know it hasnt been ported to any mt6589 device. And not getting latest android will be Armv6 all over again

I think im gong to go for the Xiaomi MI-2S or the MI-2A. I think the only donwside about the MI-2S is that it only has a 4.3 screen but there is a version with 32GB rom and 13mp camera.

Guest tillaz

it wont get as mutch custom ROMs like cyanogenmod 10 as far as i know it hasnt been ported to any mt6589 device. And not getting latest android will be Armv6 all over again

I think im gong to go for the Xiaomi MI-2S or the MI-2A. I think the only donwside about the MI-2S is that it only has a 4.3 screen but there is a version with 32GB rom and 13mp camera.

the reason the mtk devices don't have cyanogenMod is because they never release the kernel source, not the lack of interest :(

all the Chinese i have came across seem to be closed source people, just like Xiaomi and there MIUI,

even though its based on open source android.. MIUI is closed source :ph34r:

Guest Wacky.ddw

the reason the mtk devices don't have cyanogenMod is because they never release the kernel source, not the lack of interest :(

all the Chinese i have came across seem to be closed source people, just like Xiaomi and there MIUI,

even though its based on open source android.. MIUI is closed source :ph34r:

So the problem is that the roms arent open source? So why is there MIUI and cm10 for the skate? Is it likely that mediatek 6589 will get official latest android support? I guess not i would want a nexus but they are to expencive and my new phone must be 13mp

Guest tillaz

So the problem is that the roms arent open source?

no, its because the "kernel" source for the device is normally not available

So why is there MIUI and cm10 for the skate?

because the zte skate and others have the kernel source available (and are probably not mediatek devices)

MIUI ROMs are mainly all ports based on CyanogenMod as MIUI is not open source at all.

Is it likely that mediatek 6589 will get official latest android support?

that depends, its possible they will get the next version of android but i doubt it would get any after that...

I guess not i would want a nexus but they are to expensive and my new phone must be 13mp

higher mega pixels don't always mean better pictures, (bigger, yes)

i would put money on that the the 8mp cameras in the nexus 4, S3, and sony devices take better pictures than any 13mp

camera in china phones... the quality of the senser is what matters.

But if you want a good chance of CM ROMs on your next phone i would suggest you get something that has the kernel source available ;)

Guest Rico_89

Any thoughts on the Lenovo A820, seems pretty good for the money only downer is no flash for the camera and no front facing camera.

http://www.etotalk.c...a820_p3758.html

Benches at 13k on Antuntu which is near S3 speeds, sorely tempted it can be had for £120 within 4 days :)

Honestly, it looks fast and it will be a really nice phone but for that price you can get an IPS HD screen and because of that I wouldn't buy it... Oh and the huge lenovo branding on the front would drive me nuts lol.

Here`s a thing to make your choice more complicated:

http://www.hardmob.com.br/mobile/490333-celulares-chineses-de-qualidade-117.html#post10158772[/CODE]

Why did you do that lol .. just when I thought things were getting clearer you go and muddy up the choices :P

Here's a few from the list I really, really like:

£142

http://www.antelife....mart-phone.html

4_5_136.jpg

£135

http://www.pandawill...-4g-p74240.html

sku41690.jpg

The coolest phone £55; It's water proof :)

http://www.coolseaso...w718-31550.html

1357340274376-P-511424.jpg

Edited by Rico_89

Guest arranhs

So a question tillaz, if it is not possible to port CM roms to MTK devices, how come the Jiayu G3 which also has MTK processor has a port of CM here?

If this is possible for the G3, might it be possible also for the G4?

Many Thanks

Guest Wacky.ddw

So a question tillaz, if it is not possible to port CM roms to MTK devices, how come the Jiayu G3 which also has MTK processor has a port of CM here?

Many Thanks

I think because its CM10 based not cyanogenmod itself

Im just going to stick to the Jiayu G4 im sure it will be an awesome phone even if it doenst get many custom roms. Stock jellybean with some tweaks will be more then enough.

Guest tillaz

Many Thanks

First of all, i never said "its not possible" for all mediatek devices, i said the kernel source is normally not available for most of them,

and without that you can't build CyanogenMod or any other ROM from source....

But yeah, i have seen that thread before and by the looks of the screenshots its not proper CyanogenMod....

looks like its using the stock SystemUI as the status bar toggles are not the CM toggles. (they are the stock mediatek toggles)

and most of the stand out features in CyanogeMod heavily relies on its own SystemUI, like > Pie / Toggles / Nav buttons etc...

i think people in the thread even say its not proper CM, at best is an odd port :ph34r:

Guest tillaz

Any sense in hoping for Shendu roms for MTK 6589 devices

(shendu went open-source recently)

???

if the device you get has the kernel source available for it, yes

Guest tillaz

lol the funny thing about china phones is how most on here were just waiting for stock...

but because of how fast the mobile market advances, there is always something better just around the corner hahah

so.. people who are waiting for the 2GB RAM version of the G4 get put off by the new MTK6589+ so insted wait for a device with that...

but by the time that is here there are possibly 3GB RAM phones or for example a 2Ghz MTK6599 just around the corner so could deiced to wait for that lol

we could be stuck waiting for ever... it advances that fast,

so for me, come the end of may i'm just getting the best spec device that's in stock... for around £120 to £140

as i will be giving it to my daughter when she finishes for the holidays.

Guest dakok

I`m going the easier way: First £120 to £150 quadCPU/1gb phone with

official chinese OS (known ones) support during next few months.

Edited by dakok

Guest bryfly

i would choose the Vowney V5 as its has a a much better OGS display, i couldn't go back to the standard displays.

and it supports more bands from what i can see.

Vowney V5 WCDMA 850/1900/2100MHz

Newman K1 WCDMA 850/2100MHz

the rest of the specs look the same.

From the Newman web site band support seems better than suppliers suggest

Network standard GPRS, EDGE, HDPA + Support band: 2G: GSM 850/900/1800/1900

3G: WCDMA 850/900/1900/2100MHz

full spec here......

http://www.newman.mobi/mobile/k1.html

Guest Wacky.ddw

lol the funny thing about china phones is how most on here were just waiting for stock...

but because of how fast the mobile market advances, there is always something better just around the corner hahah

so.. people who are waiting for the 2GB RAM version of the G4 get put off by the new MTK6589+ so insted wait for a device with that...

but by the time that is here there are possibly 3GB RAM phones or for example a 2Ghz MTK6599 just around the corner so could deiced to wait for that lol

we could be stuck waiting for ever... it advances that fast,

so for me, come the end of may i'm just getting the best spec device that's in stock... for around £120 to £140

as i will be giving it to my daughter when she finishes for the holidays.

Yea it now allready feels like i've been waiting forever for the Jiayu G4. But £140 is exactly the price i paid to preorder the G4 advanced. And it will probably get the MTK6589 turbo + the 2gb ram would still make it the best deal. Some places they say a mid june release some places they say 15 augst i wouldnt even be suprised if they would delay it again in august... If any other phone gets released meanwile with the same specs i would buy it immediatly but i dont think anything with those specs will arive before end may and this time i really want a phone that will last a while. Because the ZTE skate was a great first smartphone for me but its slow as hell and its really time for an upgrade.

Is it likely that MTK will ever release there kernel sources?

And isnt it possible to crack? I dont know anything about this stuff but if they can crack the PS3 to make it run homebrew i cant immagine it would be hard to crack a sellphone cpu or is this a completly different thing?

Guest Wacky.ddw

Also i dont understand why this phone hasnt been mentioned before. The dakele 2 (Aka Big cola 2)

$249.99 = €192

5.3" 720p Display

2GB RAM

32gb ROM

13MP camera

MHL HD output, USB OTG

Antutu score = 12898

This all seems good for such a low price, only the screen is a little to big and the phone is to thick.

Edited by Wacky.ddw

Guest tillaz

it depends on the manufacture of the device you have.

ACER recently released kernel source for one of there MTK6589 devices

http://androidjugaad...ad.php?pid=2609

and i would think ZTE & HUAWEI have done the same for there MTK6589 devices.

the best thing to do is ask the manufacture of the device you plan on getting if they will be releasing the kernel source

just drop them a email asking.

And isnt it possible to crack? I dont know anything about this stuff but if they can crack the PS3 to make it run homebrew i cant immagine it would be hard to crack a sellphone cpu or is this a completly different thing?

totally different thing,

the PS3 was hacked to run unsigned code by getting the LV0 keys, then replacing the LV0 loader as far as i know, which allows CFW

Guest akarana

Is MTK the problem? Do they have a non-Linux kernel?

I heard some moaning on another forum by someone who said if Huawei didn't release the kernel source for his phone he might complain to EFF about a GPL violation. I pointed him to his kernel source, on the Chinese site :P

How many MTK6589 devices does Huawei make? I've found G520, and G615 (U9508) both of which have had various versions of firmwares released, Chinese and "general", but no kernels.

Guest jordanclarke69

fast card tech has the vowney v5 in stock, is anyone else getting one?

i'm scared of getting one by myself.... would feel much braver doing it with someone else!!

Guest bryfly

In case anybody is thinking of using merimobobiles thought I would keep you up to date with my experience.

1) Instant help through their chat with us now…… great service

2) Email / message in my account…… great response time

3) Paid for Vowney V5 and Newman K1 on Friday 17th may via paypal.

4) Newman K1 says awaiting fulfilment, whatever that means, not sure if it mean’s we haven’t got stock.

5) Vowney V5 says awaiting payment, had to send paypal transaction number today to see if they can trace it…..Not so good.

If there is any interest I will update as it progresses.

Guest Wacky.ddw

it depends on the manufacture of the device you have.

ACER recently released kernel source for one of there MTK6589 devices

http://androidjugaad...ad.php?pid=2609

and i would think ZTE & HUAWEI have done the same for there MTK6589 devices.

the best thing to do is ask the manufacture of the device you plan on getting if they will be releasing the kernel source

just drop them a email asking.

So from what i undestand now it all depends on the manufacture if there is going to be the ability for custom roms? So samsung etc they actually release this? I tought they where against rooting they have the system with the triangle if you root it but still they give people the ability to develop for it or am i wrong again?

So in theory the Acer device is just as easy to develop roms for now than any other normal device?

the PS3 was hacked to run unsigned code by getting the LV0 keys, then replacing the LV0 loader as far as i know, which allows CFW

Yea Geohot and failoverflow hacked it but only released the LV2 keys, then later this year the LV0 keys got leaked. But still i dont undestand anything about this :P Where do you even learn this stuff? :D

Guest Rico_89

In case anybody is thinking of using merimobobiles thought I would keep you up to date with my experience.

4) Newman K1 says awaiting fulfilment, whatever that means, not sure if it mean’s we haven’t got stock.

5) Vowney V5 says awaiting payment, had to send paypal transaction number today to see if they can trace it…..Not so good.

Definitely interested. I'm seriously looking at the V5 or K1.. not sure which one is best .. I was hoping you could give us a review to help me make up my mind :P .

It seems buying from China is an ordeal and takes a lot of patience, just look at Tillaz's experience.

Guest bryfly

Update..........Merimobiles have found the missing paypal payment and updated my account to paid, also confirmed scheduled shipping date for the Vowney v5 is Wednesday and the Newman K1 is Thursday. fingers crossed.........so far really impressed with their efficiency

Guest tillaz

So Samsung etc they actually release this? I thought they where against rooting they have the system with the triangle if you root it but still they give people the ability to develop for it or am i wrong again?

since android uses a linux based kernel they are all "supposed" to release the kernel source under GPL, if not they can be reported for violation.

But unfortunately this is not always done... people like Samsung releasing incomplete source (Exynos) and others releasing none at all... :(