[OFFTOPIC] China Phone Discussion - UPDATED 30/10/2013

Guest kyan31

Guest uchihas

Nice one.. looks great :) . May I ask you a couple of questions?

How many people were in your joint buy? Merimobiles has it for £161 but that site you linked to has a minimum buy of 10 pieces at $203-223 / piece.

Also, did they deliver to individual addresses or did your group distribute the phones from the one delivery address once they arrived?

Thanks for any info. :)

We were about 200 people, with about 330 phones. The price were 201$ USD for the PRO version, 176$ USD for the AIR version, with 12$ USD for the delivery. They were delivered to individual addresses, and we payed separately directly to Chigon.

Guest Rico_89

We were about 200 people, with about 330 phones. The price were 201$ USD for the PRO version, 176$ USD for the AIR version, with 12$ USD for the delivery. They were delivered to individual addresses, and we payed separately directly to Chigon.

Great information :) .

Thanks a lot.

How did everyone pay for the phones? They don't seem to list paypal as an option.

Guest uchihas

How did everyone pay for the phones? They don't seem to list paypal as an option.

We had a special treatment. We made a list with our data (name, adress, paypal email, phone number, and the items we wanted to order). We sent that list to our contact in Chigon, and then he started sending Paypal Invoices to our accounts with the items we ordered (to our Paypal accounts, the ones we put in the list). We confirmed payment (if everything was in order) and then he sent individually to each adress.

Guest Maringer

nice, let us know how you get on with it, please post review, main thing is gps as china phones have issues with this, nice size and look good.

Just as an update, I've not had a chance to move across to the F1 yet (lots of family stuff going on), but one of the users on the FAEA forum has produced a patch which helps the problem. Location via WIFI/cellular isn't working correctly in the stock ROM (possibly missing libs of some sort?) but, after installing the patch, location in maps is found quickly as was GPS lock. I'm not travelling away anywhere over the next few days so will be within a few miles of home at all times so I can't really say how quickly GPS will lock from totally a cold start.

At present, FAEA don't appear to offer an Win 7 compatible drivers which is a problem if you want to use their flashing tool. Hopefully, this issue will be resolved shortly. Another user on the FAEA forum is attempting to create a CWM in English for the phone - a Chinese version is available but that's a bit too scary for most of us!

Edited by Maringer

Guest dakok

MobileUncle is releasing MIUI v5 4.2 for

dual sim phones:

Lenovo S820

Lenovo P780

Lenovo A820

Lenovo A830

Amoi N828

Amoi N890

Huawei G700

Huawei G610S

Huawei G520

Cool 7295

ZTE U819

ZTE V987

ZTE V967S

ZTE U956

Konka Van Gogh V981

Others are following soon...

MIUI v5 on ZTE v987 video:

Source

Edited by dakok

Guest apple2005
Lenovo Super Camera

I saw it first on Baidu rom - it is really something to see :)

Now I found this one - it gives me FC.

Your luck might be better...

Is this camera software? Can I install in my Zopo ZP950H? What is special in this application? Thanks dakok.

Guest dakok

Sorry, I am registered on Baidu so you probably cant download

this. I will upload it to Google drive soon.

It is a camera software from Lenovo phone (I guess k900)

and it looks awesome. Far better than anything I saw on

android before. It is so good that it can be found in Baidu

rom for ZTE v987 I tested yesterday (not so good) and MIUI

V5 Im testing today (excelent version) and in other phones roms.

First thing that strucked me is when I started it in a dark

room and everything was bright on screen and the photo

I took was bright. Besides that, there is bunch of various

settings and options.

Update:

Here it is - Lenovo Super Camera apk

Macro sample

Sorry, again - it was set to private, now link works fine :blush:

Edited by dakok

Guest apple2005
Sorry, I am registered on Baidu so you probably cant download

this. I will upload it to Google drive soon.

It is a camera software from Lenovo phone (I guess k900)

and it looks awesome. Far better than anything I saw on

android before. It is so good that it can be found in Baidu

rom for ZTE v987 I tested yesterday (not so good) and MIUI

V5 Im testing today (excelent version) and in other phones roms.

First thing that strucked me is when I started it in a dark

room and everything was bright on screen and the photo

I took was bright. Besides that, there is bunch of various

settings and options.

Update:

Here it is - Lenovo Super Camera apk

Macro sample

Sorry, again - it was set to private, now link works fine :blush:

Thanks a lot. I installed the apk. Excellent camera application. I took some macros in complete dark. Very good results.

Hates off.

Guest aliaird

Was getting all interested in the MLais MX 58 Pro earlier but I don't think it would work on 3G in the UK, am I right?

Mlais Frequency: GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz, WCDM 850/2100MHz

whereas UK is UMTS 900, UMTS 2100 for 3G I'm told.

Am I correct? It wouldn't work?

Guest dakok

It depends on the operator. All use 2100MHz.

Some use 900MHz (besides 2100MHz), mostly in rural areas.

Check your operater for frequencies.

If you have to have 900MHz, check

Guest deadonthestairs

I've been following this thread with some interest for a while now, and I'm finally ready to make the plunge and buy one.

Can anyone recommend me a phone at around the £100 mark that will work on 3G in the UK? There's so many out there to choose from.

Was tempted by the Tengda T94 but is seems to have shot up in price since yesterday.

I just want a reliable, large-screened, quad-core phone. GPS/compass issues aren't a big problem though.

Guest aliaird

I have the Vowney V5 and aside from the GPS issue I think it is a cracking phone. It is quick, great big screen, well built, and great value for money. I use Giffgaff in the UK that runs on the O2 network and its fine on 3G.

Guest dakok

Until today, I was wondering why Cubot GT99 wasn`t getting attention it diserves in

it`s homeland. Very good phone, with even better price - and there was no comments

on chinese mobile forums. Not a word.

After some digging, this is what I found out:

Cubot GT99 is, most probably, (Sege) XYZ X1

Here`s this picture - back side with cover on the left is XYZ X1, back side on the right is Cubot GT99:

Cubot_GT99_OR_Sege_XYZ_X1.jpg

I didn`t bother posting photos comparing front and back (cover) sides - they are the same...

Why is this interesting?

Major criteria for judging the phone quality should be user experience.

GT99 is a new name, sold mainly in Europe / ex USSR during last month or two

so you don`t have enough users willing to share their opinions regarding this phone.

On chinese mobile market, the same phone (probably), with the other name, XYZ X1 (Small Universe)

is in stores for the last 3.5 months, with huge popularity and great scores on chinese forums.

So, if you want more info about Cubot GT99, google for XYZ (Sege) X1 instead.

You can find some interesting stuff (hint: check the battery capacity :))

Edited by dakok

Guest arranhs

Im not gonna lie guys, this is really REALLY interesting. http://www.gizchina.com/2013/07/31/xiaomi-red-rice-launches-at-just-130-cheapest-mt6589t-phone/

All of a sudden my interest has gone off the jiayu g4 and onto this. Its such a good phone for such a good price, from an awesome manufacturer

Im excited. Hope they are selling in shops when i get to china

Guest deadonthestairs

I have the Vowney V5 and aside from the GPS issue I think it is a cracking phone. It is quick, great big screen, well built, and great value for money. I use Giffgaff in the UK that runs on the O2 network and its fine on 3G.

Thanks. Yeah, I've been keeping my eye on the V5 for a while now and it seems to come highly recommended. I'm no Tesco mobile in the UK so that should be fine.

Any idea where's cheapest/most reliable place to buy at the moment?

Guest arranhs

It is interesting if you need a phone for TD SCDMA network in China. :)

Sorry, my apologies for not knowing, but what does that mean. I have also heard it doesn't have WCDMA. What does that mean? Ive have never been clear on these mobile signal terms

I think my shortlist is down to the Neo N003 or the Mlais MX58 Air.

Neo N003 because it has just been released as a 1.5 Ghz Quad Core, FHD (1080p), with OTG and MHL (HDMI out) and 3000mah battery. Approx £140

Mlais Air because the pro version has had GPS good reports, I don't really need the extra power, and silicon cases are available. Although the battery is only 2500mah I'm guessing the 1.2Ghz processor and 720p display would make it drain at a similar rate to the Neo. Approx £130.

Negatives are that it has no OTG or MHL (HDMI out) available.

Both have great F2.2 cameras.

I'm a bit put off the Vowney now after the issues that other people have reported. I will wait to hear some feedback on the Neo N003 first and whether I can find a good silicon case for it.

Guest deadonthestairs

I think my shortlist is down to the Neo N003 or the Mlais MX58 Air.

Neo N003 because it has just been released as a 1.5 Ghz Quad Core, FHD (1080p), with OTG and MHL (HDMI out) and 3000mah battery. Approx £140

Mlais Air because the pro version has had GPS good reports, I don't really need the extra power, and silicon cases are available. Although the battery is only 2500mah I'm guessing the 1.2Ghz processor and 720p display would make it drain at a similar rate to the Neo. Approx £130.

Negatives are that it has no OTG or MHL (HDMI out) available.

Both have great F2.2 cameras.

I'm a bit put off the Vowney now after the issues that other people have reported. I will wait to hear some feedback on the Neo N003 first and whether I can find a good silicon case for it.

Are you UK-based, and not anticipating any 3G problems with either of these? Which site do you think you'll be buying from?

Are you UK-based, and not anticipating any 3G problems with either of these? Which site do you think you'll be buying from?

I'm UK based. I will probably buy from http://www.merimobiles.com as other members have used them sucessfully. The dont have stock yet of the Neo, so not sure what their price will be for that. I'm hoping it will be similar to the price on http://lightake.com (approx £140) otherwise I will buy from lightake. Wherever I buy from they will have to take paypal.

I'm not expecting any network issues but then I rarely use 3G anyway. UK 3G is supposed to be 2100Mhz anyway. I know dakok says they use 900Mhz in rural UK areas too but I can't find much official info about that. I'm not doubting him, I just don't think it will be much on an issue for me. I don't think the Neo will get 3G in the USA as I think they use WCDMA 850 which the mlais supports.

My criteria for a new phone is good camera, good gps, decent battery life, good value, good silicon case (and to be able to make the occasion phone call ;) )

Edited by Guest