[OFFTOPIC] China Phone Discussion - UPDATED 30/10/2013

Guest kyan31

Guest Maringer
I know dakok says they use 900Mhz in rural UK areas too but I can't find much official info about that. I'm not doubting him, I just don't think it will be much on an issue for me.

Depends on your network. O2 (and therefore giffgaff) have support for 900MHz as, apparently do Vodafone. Information taken from here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UMTS_networks

I always thought that the good 3G reception I receive in my small town was due to the 900MHz frequency on my old Atrix but, investigating further, I'm not altogether sure that the Atrix 4G actually does support WCDMA at 900MHz! Difficult to tell.

My missus is going away tomorrow to visit her sister for a week so hopefully, this will give me the opportunity to transfer my usage across to my FAEA F1 away from the Atrix! ;)

The F1 reportedly supports 900MHz and I'll be using both giffgaff (O2) and Ovivo (Vodafone) SIMs so it will be interesting to see if my coverage is indeed increased to any degree!

Guest dakok

Whats the battery life like on it?

It has 2500mAh battery. After I fully charged it and then molested for hours - it lasted for a day and a half. I flashed miui rom which consumes 3% during night with all switches on. Wifi is just like in g300 - border reception is thru 3 walls at 10 meters. Gps is not worse than that of g300 - didn't test it fully yet.

There is no compass but that one on g300 wasn't precise, so...

Screen is perfect, extremely bright, no light bleeding.

Oleofobic, no fingerprints.

The only thing that's bad is a point in back cover that doesn't hold phone body well. A half mm gap.

But it doesn't really matter since I ordered nillkin hard case that holds back so good that I can't remove it without effort. And it looks like a phone design, not an extra part.

Depends on your network. O2 (and therefore giffgaff) have support for 900MHz as, apparently do Vodafone. Information taken from here:

http://en.wikipedia....f_UMTS_networks

I always thought that the good 3G reception I receive in my small town was due to the 900MHz frequency on my old Atrix but, investigating further, I'm not altogether sure that the Atrix 4G actually does support WCDMA at 900MHz! Difficult to tell.

My missus is going away tomorrow to visit her sister for a week so hopefully, this will give me the opportunity to transfer my usage across to my FAEA F1 away from the Atrix! ;)

The F1 reportedly supports 900MHz and I'll be using both giffgaff (O2) and Ovivo (Vodafone) SIMs so it will be interesting to see if my coverage is indeed increased to any degree!

Interesting. I didn't see any reference to 900MHz 3G frequencies in the info from Ofcom. http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/archive/ra/topics/pmc/document/licencetypes/cellularinfo.htm#3

Is there a way of telling what 3G frequency you are receiving? Or a coverage map of where they use 900Mhz for 3G signal?

I'm on Ovivo (Vodafone) network. I rarely get even GSM signal at home (I live in a dip), but I do get 3G in town.

My G300 should be able to receive 900 and 2100 Mhz 3G signal. Whatever new phone I get I'd quite like to not make my reception any worse. :wacko:

Ok, so I've been delving a little deeper into this 900/2100 Mhz network coverage in the UK. They call it 3G300

I think this sums it up...

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/4610-o2-enable-3g-in-900mhz-spectrum.html

And if you are on O2 you can check if you have 3G900 mobile access here.

http://status.o2.co.uk/

It also seems EE (Orange/T-mobile) is also allowed to use its 1800Mhz frequency for 3G, but I don't know if they have enabled it.

Might have to re-think my phone choices a little bit, although mobile reception is not that big a deal for me at present anyway.

Guest dakok

This $350 worth Xiaomi is a better buy.

It costs just $79.

Ask that seller if he has any Ferrari at discount prices.

With free DHL shipment, too.

Edited by dakok

Guest Maringer

It also seems EE (Orange/T-mobile) is also allowed to use its 1800Mhz frequency for 3G, but I don't know if they have enabled it.

My understanding is that EE actually uses the 1800MHz frequency for their 4G LTE service. This is how they have been able to roll out LTE before any of the other UK providers - and charge huge amounts of money for the service as well! Advertising a superfast wireless service such as LTE but then implementing a ridiculously low data allowance is just bonkers really.

I've had a search around but can't seem to find any apps which show whether your 3G connection is on 900MHz or 2100MHz. It would be useful (and interesting) to know if 900MHz 3G is really that much better coverage-wise than the usual 2100MHz.

Edited by Maringer

Guest akarana

Remember to post when you find that app, I've been looking too :ph34r:

I can tell you NZ Vodafone's 900 GSM is nowhere near as good as the old Telecom AMPS coverage out in the back country.

Guest GTRX3

Just bought Lenovo A820 € 36,91 plus free dhl shipping from Aliexpress.

http://www.aliexpres...1153437453.html :)

Lol if that works out, i'm buying that lenovo p780! However in those pictures of the a820z they don't look like the actual a820, unless there is a slightly different version for carrier branded ones. Please do keep us updated!

Guest Muse91

I strongly advise against ordering from Aliexpress. For more information take a look at http://www.trustpilo....aliexpress.com, there are also numerous other bad user experiences on several other websites. Don't let the prices fool you, it's a scam site.

Edit: I am in a process of choosing and ordering a chinese phone(either A820 or Cubot GT99). What worries me is the fact that chinese phones lack oleophobic coating. Did anyone here find good screen protector that has oleophobic coating and could easily be used with one of those devices. Also any user experience with above phones would be greatly appreciated, either links or PMs are fine since I don't want to spam on this topic.

Edited by Muse91

Guest dakok

What worries me is the fact that chinese phones lack oleophobic coating.

My zte v987 has oleophobic coating. Amazing thing for me now, since g300 was a real grease magnet.

Guest Muse91

My zte v987 has oleophobic coating. Amazing thing for me now, since g300 was a real grease magnet.

True, what I meant was 'most' chinese phones don't have oleophobic coating. Some obviously do :D. More Croats here, hehe.

Guest moorish

I got fed up of dithering over what to buy, so just bought the MLais MX58Pro. Just hope it gets here before my holiday now!! :)

I'm considering buying that phone. Do you mind if I ask where you purchased from?

Guest Maringer

I strongly advise against ordering from Aliexpress. For more information take a look at http://www.trustpilo....aliexpress.com, there are also numerous other bad user experiences on several other websites. Don't let the prices fool you, it's a scam site.

Bear in mind that Aliexpress is just a marketplace for hundreds of different sellers. Some are reliable, others aren't.

I bought an excellent-quality tablet from a well-rated seller on Aliexpress (Elijah, they were called) around a year ago and the transaction couldn't have been smoother. The only issue was that I was stung for import duty by DHL a week or two after it had been delivered!

If you go with a company with good feedback on Aliexpress, there is no reason you should encounter more problems than with companies such as Merimobiles or Etotalk. As has been noted on this thread before, if a deal looks to good to be true, it's pretty certain that it is.

Guest Muse91

Bear in mind that Aliexpress is just a marketplace for hundreds of different sellers. Some are reliable, others aren't.

I bought an excellent-quality tablet from a well-rated seller on Aliexpress (Elijah, they were called) around a year ago and the transaction couldn't have been smoother. The only issue was that I was stung for import duty by DHL a week or two after it had been delivered!

If you go with a company with good feedback on Aliexpress, there is no reason you should encounter more problems than with companies such as Merimobiles or Etotalk. As has been noted on this thread before, if a deal looks to good to be true, it's pretty certain that it is.

I fully agree, the reason why I wrote it that way is that most of the users usually go for that kind of 'too good to be true' deals and end up being scammed. So maybe overall for newbies it's better to stick with an actual shop like minideal, pandawill, etotalk etc. than trying to find a reasonably good shop on an online marketplace. With those shops at least you know who you're dealing with right? Anyway are there any new phones that should be released in August beside Xiaomi Red Rice?

Guest dakok

Phones that will be released soon, and the ones that are recently out:

NO.1 S6 5.0" 1280 * 720/1G +4 G/2300/300 +1300 / W 7.18

Gpad MINI 7.9" 1024 * 768/1G +8 G/4500/200 +800 / W 08.01

Monkey King Youth Edition 5.0" 1920 * 1080/1G +16 G/2000/1300 +1300 / W 08.01.

N1 Matcha Edition 5.0" 1280 * 720/1G +16 G/2500/800 +1300 / W 08.01

Shang Yue S600 Standard 6.5" 1920 * 1080/1G + 8/16/32 / 3500/1300/W 8.8

Shang Yue S600 High 6.5" 1920 * 1080/2G + 8/16/32 / 3500/1300/W 8.8

Hundred percent phone 38 degrees S7 6.44" 1920 * 1080/2G +16 G/4000/500 +1300 / W 8.12

SUGAR low 5.0" 1920 * 1080/2G +16 G /? / 800 +1300 / W 8.13

Interesting:

Sledgehammer 1S (Dachui Hammer C1S)

MTK6589T with nice price:

telefono-android-61.jpg

Neken N6 MT6589T 1/16Gb with nice price:

5.jpg

Edited by dakok

Guest dakok

For those of you willing to wait for the right thing, here it is:

SAGA Z1 (Saga, a.k.a. XYZ, or "Small Universe")Is is a succesor of XYZ X1,

a very popular phone in China that offers decent specs for extra low price.

XYZ X1 is listed at online shops for the price of ~$160, but what`s interesting is

the fact thatthis phone is appearing under name of Cubot GT99.

XYZ X1 and Cubot GT99 look the same, their specs are the same (besides battery and camera,

but we knowabout the usual battery/camera specs reliability)

Cubot GT99 is almost unknown in China, but it sells well in rest of the word due it`s price of ~$140.

Anyway, Saga/Cubot is at the top of the best buy quad phone class.

Now comes the Saga Z1. What should it give?

First of all, it will probably be at the top of low priced 1.5GHz quad cores

Front camera: 8Mpix / F2.4 aperture / Auto Zoom / back-illuminated BSI CMOS / OV8825 chip

Rear camera 13Mpix / F2.0 aperture / Auto Zoom / back illuminated BSI CMOS / OV12830-PLCC chip

IPS 1920*1080 screen, OGS

Miracast

2.8 mm ultra-narrow magnesium alloy frame

Dimensions: 140mm × 70.2mm × 8.5mm

There will be two versions - 1/16Gb and 2/32Gb

1-130P2153304448.jpg

Edited by dakok

Guest Sere83

Anyone looking for something smaller, HOTMID are doing a great deal on the original Xiaomi M2 with snapdragon S4 Pro. $289 shipped , which is around £189. Really good deal if you ask me....

Edited by Sere83