[DEV][ROM][24.7.] CyanogenMod 10.1 (Android 4.2.2)

Guest KonstaT

Guest Graham1
I can confirm that color banding thing. It was present in 21/12 build but today's build is fine with a tft screen.

Same as above but I'm using an OLED screen.

:)

Guest richardw1992

Just flashed this ROM today to replace Konstas CM10 4.1 version. However I notice that in the settings menu, the "performance" tab is not present. The phone does however support overclocking via a 3rd part app, so it is all still built into the kernel or whatever..

But if I were to extract the "settings.apk" from Konstas CM10 4.1 and install it through android on top of this CM10.1 4.2 version, would that solve my issue and restore the "performance" option within the settings menu?

Edited by richardw1992

Guest shezar

Just flashed this ROM today to replace Konstas CM10 4.1 version. However I notice that in the settings menu, the "performance" tab is not present. The phone does however support overclocking via a 3rd part app, so it is all still built into the kernel or whatever..

But if I were to extra the "settings.apk" from Konstas CM10 4.1 and install it through android on top of this CM10.1 4.2 version, would that solve my issue and restore the "performance" option within the settings menu?

What, why would you want an extra settings app? Just read up the 4.2 new features, you'll not notice that developer options are "gone" (they can be enabled by something I won't tell you now - it has been mentioned in lots of places). Performance options are the same - CyanogenMod devs have decided that those options are not for the average users. And they are right.

But if I were to extra the "settings.apk" from Konstas CM10 4.1 and install it through android on top of this CM10.1 4.2 version, would that solve my issue and restore the "performance" option within the settings menu?

Read a couple pages back.

Guest richardw1992

What, why would you want an extra settings app? Just read up the 4.2 new features, you'll not notice that developer options are "gone" (they can be enabled by something I won't tell you now - it has been mentioned in lots of places). Performance options are the same - CyanogenMod devs have decided that those options are not for the average users. And they are right.

I meant to replace the 4.2.1 settings app with the older 4.1 version, not having 2 running side by side. I tried to do what I said, but the android installer attempted to override my current settings, but the installation failed halfway through.

Read a couple pages back.

Cheers, found what I needed to enable developer options and performance options now.

For anyone else who hasn't been following the whole thread go to settings -> about phone -> tap rapidly on build number -> tada!

Guest elrond_bs
... But if I were to extra the "settings.apk" from Konstas CM10 4.1 and install it through android on top of this CM10.1 4.2 version, would that solve my issue and restore the "performance" option within the settings menu?

So you think, that you can replace system components, not just between ROMs, but also between different android versions (4.1 vs 4.2)?? May be you should be a developer. :D

Everyone knows, that full wipe is required when changing ROMs, especially when changing Android versions. So, no, you shouldn't try installing 4.2 without wipe over 4.1, and then coming here to complain. Also read this post carefully.

Guest richardw1992

So you think, that you can replace system components, not just between ROMs, but also between different android versions (4.1 vs 4.2)?? May be you should be a developer. :D

Everyone knows, that full wipe is required when changing ROMs, especially when changing Android versions. So, no, you shouldn't try installing 4.2 without wipe over 4.1, and then coming here to complain. Also read this post carefully.

I wasn't sure what I could replace, that is why I came here to seek advice. I thought just a straight .apk would be interchangeable but clearly there is much more to it! Your sarcasm is neither needed nor wanted.

If you had taken the time to read my post carefully you would realise I was not "trying to install 4.2 without wipe over 4.1". I have long succeeded at that step, and I always wipe system / data etc. I was just trying to revert back tp the older "settings" app as I thought it contained more features, whereas in reality I have now found out those features are still present, just hidden.

I did not come here to, and I did not complain? Please highlight the complaint in my comment?

I respect the developers work as much as the next person, I merely came here to ask for some advice, not to complain, as that is what a forum like this is for, to help each other out. Now quite frankly I find your comment rude and unnecessary, it brings nothing to the discussion and helps nobody out. Furthermore I took the time to read the link you posted, and that too holds no relevance to what I said either.

So pipe down and stop making yourself look like a fool.

Is there no google now or did i managed that on my own? Also where do i activate the soft keys?

Huge thanks KonstaT!

Google now was working perfectly for me, however I uninstalled the "google search.apk" through titanium, which I think 'google now' is integrated into, so it is also gone. Perhaps you did the same without realising?

Guest Markiv

Hi, Am having a weird problem. Sometimes, when a call is coming thru, the contact name seems different, also this happens when the call ends. Similarly, while calling from the contacts, sometimes, when i call "X", the call goes to "Y".

Never had such problem with other ROM's. Can this be fixed or should i just flash the ROM once again?

Guest elrond_bs
... If you had taken the time to read my post carefully you would realise I was not "trying to install 4.2 without wipe over 4.1". I have long succeeded at that step, and I always wipe system / data etc. I was just trying to revert back tp the older "settings" app as I thought it contained more features, whereas in reality I have now found out those features are still present, just hidden.

Now quite frankly I find your comment rude and unnecessary, it brings nothing to the discussion and helps nobody out. Furthermore I took the time to read the link you posted, and that too holds no relevance to what I said either. ...

I didn't meant to be rude and please excuse my sarcasm. :) But this thread is becoming hard to read with identical questions, that had been answered many times.

The fact is, you didn't search nor read the last few pages, to find that you question had been answered. And then you post things that are quite illogical (KonstaT would have replaced the Settings or made a new one from the old, if it was so easy). That was the cause of my frustration and unnecessary sarcasm.

I read everything you posted before. Wipe is needed (you know that) -> nothing left from previous ROM to avoid problems, so you can't install/replace anything old! If you don't wipe, any problems you have could be the result of the lack of wipe, not because of the ROM. That is important.

The relevant thing I said in my previous post is "This ROM is mainly for developers/testers/advanced users" and in the one before that "CM10.1 and this ROM are in very early development". So if the Settings were missing something, that would be because of the above reasons.

Guest Xenon0816

I'm really impressed with this rom! I've been using it for the last couple of days and updated it yesterday to the newest version. Everything is working fine so far, the only problem I had were a few stucks, often on message retrieval.

Just now the phone got a message, I could hear the notification sound, but when i checked, the phone was dead and I had to pull the battery...

Thanks for the ongoing development! I'm looking forward to the next builds :)

Since a few CM releases I am getting delay on name display for incoming calls from contacts, delay is even longer than time to pick up :) Any ideas what is wrong, do I need to OC the tiny CPU?

Running 28th Dec release at the moment with same problem from time to time...

Guest KonstaT

Is it possible to disable lighting on of hardware buttons every time when I touch the screen?

I think that's the correct behavior and it'll probably break when custom brightness settings will be merged. :P

You can put a script into /system/etc/init.d/ (or /data/local/userinit.d/ if you want it to survive ROM updates). Save this as e.g. '09buttonbacklight' to previous location, set permissions to make it executable (755) and reboot.

#!/system/bin/sh
/system/xbin/busybox chmod 444 /sys/devices/platform/leds-gpio/leds/button-backlight
[/CODE]

Guest jpdoliveira

Apparently (there's a pretty big discussion on Reddit) THIS: http://forum.xda-dev...87032&nocache=1 "provides significant lag reduction" to Android. It basically solves the issue with the limited entropy pool in /dev/random. Has anyone tried it? Any opinions?

Hum...

Some improvements opening G+ and Twitter. Facebook still sucks. :P

Edit: OMG. Opening Maps is so much faster now. :o

Edited by jpdoliveira

Hello KonstaT!

You've done a very good job by made this dream possible!

1) As a french mobile user, my provider give me the ability to connect to wifi via EAP-SIM authentification. is it possible to you to look at this tread and make "magic happens" in a future update? (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1660397). it would be GREAT for french users!

2) also, i've got a TPT basic question. as a S2E user under a sandisk fast card (2Go sd-ext) -> no need of local storage! soooo... i make a custom tpt via tpthelper (2mb cache - 260mb system - 194mb data) - is it a good idea? 'cause my data partition is unused! (all app/system app/paied app/dalvik moved to sd-ext) -> can i flash a full gapps-jb instead of the one you say?

3) is a swap partition a good idea to boost my phone? (with swappy2 app on the store for example?)

thank you for your answers!

PS: by the way: i use a SFR startrail (ZTE libra inside) TPT upgraded GEN2 with custom TPT with sandisk 16Go Ultra SDHC (2048Mb sd-ext/0Mb swap)

PS: and excuse my poor english! Thank you for the good work!

Guest richardw1992

I didn't meant to be rude and please excuse my sarcasm. :) But this thread is becoming hard to read with identical questions, that had been answered many times.

The fact is, you didn't search nor read the last few pages, to find that you question had been answered. And then you post things that are quite illogical (KonstaT would have replaced the Settings or made a new one from the old, if it was so easy). That was the cause of my frustration and unnecessary sarcasm.

I read everything you posted before. Wipe is needed (you know that) -> nothing left from previous ROM to avoid problems, so you can't install/replace anything old! If you don't wipe, any problems you have could be the result of the lack of wipe, not because of the ROM. That is important.

The relevant thing I said in my previous post is "This ROM is mainly for developers/testers/advanced users" and in the one before that "CM10.1 and this ROM are in very early development". So if the Settings were missing something, that would be because of the above reasons.

Apologies I guess I overreacted. Clearly I still have a lot to learn about ROMs!

Guest sej7278

1) As a french mobile user, my provider give me the ability to connect to wifi via EAP-SIM authentification. is it possible to you to look at this tread and make "magic happens" in a future update? (http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1660397). it would be GREAT for french users!

have you actually tried just modifying your /etc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf as it would seem the version in this rom supports EAP-SIM:

echo "get_capability eap" | /system/bin/wpa_cli	

wpa_cli v2.0-devel-4.2.1

> get_capability eap

MD5 TLS MSCHAPV2 PEAP TTLS GTC OTP SIM LEAP FAST WSC PWD

Guest Pierreism

Apparently (there's a pretty big discussion on Reddit) THIS: http://forum.xda-dev...2&nocache=1 "provides significant lag reduction" to Android. It basically solves the issue with the limited entropy pool in /dev/random. Has anyone tried it? Any opinions?

I'm trying the apk now and am seeing minor, but encouraging results. Maps seems about the same to me, as does opening/closing apps, but I can definitely notice that general touch scrolling is *greatly* improved.

Edit: Actually there's no real way to qualify my completely anecdotal assessment, and I don't see how scrolling has anything to do with /dev/random. Placebo strikes again :(

Edited by Pierreism

Guest mercurio.

Apparently (there's a pretty big discussion on Reddit) THIS: http://forum.xda-dev...87032&nocache=1 "provides significant lag reduction" to Android. It basically solves the issue with the limited entropy pool in /dev/random. Has anyone tried it? Any opinions?

i know it's somewhat off-topic but i tried it with cm10 and it works great! maps is "kind of" lag-free now! maybe there is some way to integrate it in the rom?

Guest KonstaT

I haven't tried the app but I tested the symlink method that should do the same thing. I experienced no difference what so ever.

Also theory behind the app has already been debunked. /dev/random is never even opened/used by dalvik/userspace apps. It seems that the app wakes up the device every second to write and boosts CPU frequency while doing that, that's all.

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=42265

1) As a french mobile user, my provider give me the ability to connect to wifi via EAP-SIM authentification. is it possible to you to look at this tread and make "magic happens" in a future update? (http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1660397). it would be GREAT for french users!

2) also, i've got a TPT basic question. as a S2E user under a sandisk fast card (2Go sd-ext) -> no need of local storage! soooo... i make a custom tpt via tpthelper (2mb cache - 260mb system - 194mb data) - is it a good idea? 'cause my data partition is unused! (all app/system app/paied app/dalvik moved to sd-ext) -> can i flash a full gapps-jb instead of the one you say?

3) is a swap partition a good idea to boost my phone? (with swappy2 app on the store for example?)

1. Sorry, I can't add that for everyone. It's a simple modification to your /system/etc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf, anyone who needs that can easily do it themselves.

2. That's a terrible idea. :P Any free space on /system partition is wasted space. You'd be completely wasting 100+ mb of internal storage. It's best to keep any available space on /data partition. S2E still doesn't move everything from /data to /sd-ext and it is not recommeded to move dalvik cache or app data anyway.

3. I've never used swap so I can't tell how much difference it makes. Chinese devices with 256mb of RAM certainly benefit from it. There's also a zRAM option under performance settings that you can try if you're having low memory issues.

Guest samjam

i know it's somewhat off-topic but i tried it with cm10 and it works great! maps is "kind of" lag-free now! maybe there is some way to integrate it in the rom?

How about:

mount /dev/urandom /dev/random -o bind

Guest anantk

2. That's a terrible idea. :P Any free space on /system partition is wasted space. You'd be completely wasting 100+ mb of internal storage. It's best to keep any available space on /data partition. S2E still doesn't move everything from /data to /sd-ext and it is not recommeded to move dalvik cache or app data anyway.

I have 230 MB partition for system in Idea Blade (256 RAM ZTE Blade). I nearly have 77 MB free space in system partition, but only 33 MB free space remaining in data partiton after installing apps and moving installed apps to EXT-SD using S2E app.

How to use the 77 MB empty system partition space? Should I convert some user apps to system apps or any better way to use 77 MB empty system partition space?