Going from ICS to JB

Guest TheStinger

Guest TheStinger

Hi im a complete novice at this, but I followed the step by step guide to installing ICS and it worked first time. I now want to go to try Jelly Bean. On my phone I have an OTA upgrade can I just click on this or do I need to go through the whole process again like I did with ICS.

I have actually searched but I'm not entirley sure I am seeing what I need to.

Guest psionandy

There isn't an official JB update...so the standard OTA won't work. however there is an unofficial one that is pretty amazing (apart from a few issues here and there.

(if you had the CM9 rom on your phone, you might be able to CM OTA to that, or you can go for a wipe and re-install)

Details in this thread...

and this one...

You can't install jellybean via that method. You need to unlock the bootloader of your stock ICS rom, root, and install CWM recovery.

Then you can flash JB in the recovery.

P.s are you aware that JB is buggy? The only jellybean rom out is CM10, but that is not finished. I wouldn't really advice using it unless you only need to use the basics like calling and texting.

Edited by kyan31

Guest TheStinger

thanks for the replies. I have already installed the cm version of ics. if JB is still buggy I will wait a bit I think. I probably didn't make myself clear what I was asking. I noticed that in settings on my phone there were a number of cm updates available I didn't know if just installing from the phone would work. looks like I'm best off doing it via the step by step guide for 5 year olds again.

the ics mod is much better than the vodafone one anyway.

thanks for the replies. I have already installed the cm version of ics. if JB is still buggy I will wait a bit I think. I probably didn't make myself clear what I was asking. I noticed that in settings on my phone there were a number of cm updates available I didn't know if just installing from the phone would work. looks like I'm best off doing it via the step by step guide for 5 year olds again.

the ics mod is much better than the vodafone one anyway.

Installing from the updates menu is fantastic.. just make sure you're on the right version of cwm and you're sweet. Just don't choose the jb update that appears there ;)

• 3 months later...
Guest AussieExpat

Installing from the updates menu is fantastic.. just make sure you're on the right version of cwm and you're sweet. Just don't choose the jb update that appears there ;)

what is the right version of CWM?

I went through the procedure to root and install a new rom on my phone, and then later had problems with the CM OTA update to 4.2.2 of android (CM10.1 R3) checking I had CWM 6.01.02 -- but updating to 6.02.07 Touch (that someone on that list suggested) resulted in Google Now not working -- was working before I installed the CWM update

Edited by AussieExpat