[idea] to save power button presses via NFC

Guest jasonXXx

Guest jasonXXx

Ok after reading lots of people having problems with the power buttons braking or hard to press i came up with the idea to power on/off screen with nfc tags nice and simple but after reading nfc does not work with screen off so i did a google search and found this http://www.xda-developers.com/android/use-nfc-with-screen-off-or-in-lock-screen-on-galaxy-nexus/ can this MOD be used with the osd? or can it be implemented with the xolo ICS nfc.apk? we could use a simple app to toggle screen on/off.

Guest jasonXXx
We have the volume button working as a power button anyway I think. And this would require am nfc tag to be used every time
volume button does not work in deep sleep does it? Even so it would still be a nice alternative I would definitely use with say a wristband I'm looking for a guide to mod the nfc.apk my self but with no look.

Guest markhuges

You Need this : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.maicas.android.wsleep&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsIm5ldC5tYWljYXMuYW5kcm9pZC53c2xlZXAiXQ..

This App is amazing and works great with this phone!

Only issue is battery life sadly :(

Change the settings to easy detection and enable it

Works Great!

But i would think the Volume method will be much better!

Guest markhuges

We have the volume button working as a power button anyway I think. And this would require am nfc tag to be used every time

How Do you do that? Does it require Root?

Thank You

Guest jasonXXx

Yes I have seen the proximity and light sensor apps but I still like the idea of nfc also I would like to use a task nfc tag without pressing the power button to turn screen on etc I just think its much more convince to tap a tag or sticker without pressing power and unlocking then tapping.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Cowgers123

Also if you have any NFC tags. Download screen off and lock from the play store. Program your osd to open the app and it shud lock your device. But it can't unlock it though....

I've had the pro version of Smart Screen Off on the OSD for a while now, works fine with my flip case.

Not sure what the impact on battery life is, but I seldom go more than 24hrs with plugging in anyway.

Guest BlueMoonRising

I've had the pro version of Smart Screen Off on the OSD for a while now, works fine with my flip case.

Not sure what the impact on battery life is, but I seldom go more than 24hrs with plugging in anyway.

I've got the Pro version but it wont let it go into deepsleep and the battery is dead overnight. Without it I can go days(I'm a relative light user).

Hi, I use a combination of the 'Screen off and lock' app and the 'Auto Screen on' app instead of using the power button. With this combination, I find the battery drops about 7 to 8 percent overnight. The Auto screen on app has some useful parameters to prevent the sensors being active overnight (user definable 'sleeping time') and also if the battery drops below a set percentage - possible choices are between 0 and 80 percent.

With this combination I hardly ever use the power button.

I've got the Pro version but it wont let it go into deepsleep and the battery is dead overnight. Without it I can go days(I'm a relative light user).

Mine's not that bad. I was last plugged in sometime on Wednesday afternoon, the 30% warning happened at some stage last night while I was sleeping.

Couple of calls, a few texts, some brief web browsing and an hour or so of reading e-books during that time.