Windows Phone 7.8 to start rolling out on January 31st?

Guest todoleo

Guest todoleo

The Windows Phone 7.8 update for "legacy" Windows Phone devices should start rolling out on January 31st 2013.

Windows Phone 7.8 is an update for devices running Windows Phone 7.5. These devices will not be upgradeable to Windows Phone 8, but through 7.8 will receive a UI and branding update to make the look and feel more similar to WP8.

There has been no official announcement from Microsoft regarding the Windows Phone 7.8 update further than one about an "early 2013" release. Manufacturers have been similarly cagey about the rollout, but some network operators have been more forthcoming about it.

Last week I contacted the network operator I use for my personal device, Three UK, and got an informative response. ( Three UK Tweet )

There have been similar responses from network operators and retailers globally, as reported by wpcentral.com.

My personal speculation on the matter is that the update is currently being tested by network operators and that Microsoft wants the WP 7.8 rollout to be as smooth and fast as possible. I don't think MS wants to split their smartphone ecosystem more than it already is or have consumers complaining about "Windows Phone Fragmentation". Here's to hoping the update is pushed out as soon and quickly as possible.

Do you have a Windows Phone 7.5 Mango or Tango device? Do you have or are you looking forward to the official release of the Windows Phone OS update? Let us know what you think in the comments.

Click here to view the item

• 2 weeks later...
Guest PaulMilbank

Just updated my HD7 yesterday. Had to do the update, disconnect, reconnect install update trick to get it working. All cool now and works well. Amazed at how fluid windows phone is.

Guest wookie16081965

Just updated my HD7 yesterday. Had to do the update, disconnect, reconnect install update trick to get it working. All cool now and works well. Amazed at how fluid windows phone is.

what software version does it say and what os version does your phone say or have you got any photos of your about screen please.

Guest PaulMilbank

OS Version, 7.10.8858.136

Software: Windows Phone 7.8

Name/Model: HTC HD7 T9292

Will take a photo when I have a charged battery on the camera and post it. This is on an unlocked phone in New Zealand.

Guest PaulMilbank

OS Version, 7.10.8858.136

Software: Windows Phone 7.8

Name/Model: HTC HD7 T9292

Will take a photo when I have a charged battery on the camera and post it. This is on an unlocked phone in New Zealand.

post-945562-0-95651700-1360409053_thumb.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.