[DEV][ROM][21.5.] Firefox OS - B2G

Guest KonstaT

Guest monde55

Konstat; I want to ask you something ... the moment I'm using 4.2.2 and also bought a backup. I want to try Firefox Os. When I install Firefox Os recovery menu Does it work when I press the power key long?

Edited by monde55

Guest KonstaT

Konstat; I want to ask you something ... the moment I'm using 4.2.2 and also bought a backup. I want to try Firefox Os. When I install Firefox Os recovery menu Does it work when I press the power key long?

Sorry, I can't understand what you're trying to say.

It's exactly like installing any other ROM. Use CWM though, TWRP has problems sometimes.

Guest monde55

Sorry my English is not very good,  so I'm getting help Google Translate.

I want to learn that; Firefox OS installed on the phone when I press the power button long been involved in the recovery menu? I returned to take a backup to 4.2.2?

Edited by monde55

Guest KonstaT

Sorry my English is not very good,  so I'm getting help Google Translate.

I want to learn that; Firefox OS installed on the phone when I press the power button long been involved in the recovery menu? I returned to take a backup to 4.2.2?

There's an option to power off. Or who cares if you even pulled the battery. You can always boot to recovery by pressing a volume key while powering on. :o

Guest monde55
There's an option to power off. Or who cares if you even pulled the battery. You can always boot to recovery by pressing a volume key while powering on.

Ok; thank you Konstat. Sorry to bother you... :blush:

Edited by monde55

Guest KonstaT
New build. Looks like my RIL issue was because of my old MVNO prepaid SIM card. Tested it with couple of other SIM cards and they work as expected. While tidying up things for B2G, I also built CAF 'vanilla' Android from ics_chocolate_rb4.2 branch (same code that B2G uses for hardware adaptation). It's unpolished but everything works besides wifi (which is a mystery because all of the low level/native code is exactly the same as B2G where it works :o). I doubt I'm going to bother investing any time on fixing things there but I can upload a build if someone wants to test it otherwise.

b2g-20140409-atlas40.zip
md5:3e894c869c36015ed8281b7428e61046

-build kernel from source
-cleanup ramdisk
-add busybox

Guest vostinic

New build. Looks like my RIL issue was because of my old MVNO prepaid SIM card. Tested it with couple of other SIM cards and they work as expected. While tidying up things for B2G, I also built CAF 'vanilla' Android from ics_chocolate_rb4.2 branch (same code that B2G uses for hardware adaptation). It's unpolished but everything works besides wifi (which is a mystery because all of the low level/native code is exactly the same as B2G where it works :o). I doubt I'm going to bother investing any time on fixing things there but I can upload a build if someone wants to test it otherwise.

b2g-20140409-atlas40.zip
md5:3e894c869c36015ed8281b7428e61046

-build kernel from source
-cleanup ramdisk
-add busybox

I try....

Guest KonstaT
Only for testing purposes! This is Code Aurora Forum (CAF) 'vanilla' Android which is basically AOSP + Qualcomm hardware support etc. This is built from the same tag ZTE stock ROM is based on so basically what they have initially started off with.

Wifi (and wifi tethering) doesn't work. RIL has issues with some SIM cards (same as B2G) and it takes quite a while until the PIN query comes up for the first time (works normally after that). Included camera app is a piece of sh*t. There's plenty of unsupported options and camcorder crashes. All camera features (photos, camcorder, panorama) work with external apps though (e.g. Camera ICS from the Play store). FM radio app is ugly as sin but it works. Bright side is that qcom hardware specific things that usually take the most hacking (display, media, audio, fm, etc) work perfectly out-of-the-box here. ;)

Get gapps from the gapps place and root from the root place.

caf-ics-20140409-atlas40.zip
md5:7f61eff5b8102d7503b68f17549d4379
Edited by KonstaT

Guest MJonMoDaCo

Some things I just can't explain. Like wondering why my teenage niece is wearing ripped jeans. I liken FirefoxOS to Cletus Spuckler. I just can't get over the whole one button thing. But CAF is more like Jenny Craig dressed in drag, and that she's hooked up with the slack-jawed one because he's got more "junk in the trunk".

This is junk food for my phone. It seems to be having a reaction to this revelation. It's either having primeval urges or gagging at the mental imagery. I take this as a mission to test and report back on the lady friend.... Moving out, Sir...

Guest plantroon

The version 2 should finally make this a more responsive OS .. also that UI is awful imho xDD I can never hit the ultra tiny "back" button ... the more I use this I realise that Android has much better UI but performs much worse

Guest matisek2

I installed this system with curiosity to see how it runs.
I notice error with phone application. When I choose a phone number and push the call button, the app disappears but the connection continues. Similarly, the incoming call, I hear the ringtone, but I can not take the call because the phone app is not displayed.

By the way very very very thank you for CM11 for Blade 3 :D
Greetings from Poland :)

Guest KonstaT

I installed this system with curiosity to see how it runs.

I notice error with phone application. When I choose a phone number and push the call button, the app disappears but the connection continues. Similarly, the incoming call, I hear the ringtone, but I can not take the call because the phone app is not displayed.

There's three builds in the first post because all of them have random issues that other builds don't have. There's been zero to none device specific functional changes between these builds. These are built from the B2G master branches so they're extremely bleeding edge and not designed for stability. New issues are introduced upstream every day as old ones are getting sorted.

• 1 month later...
Guest MJonMoDaCo

Well that was fun. It took a while to get back here though. I flashed the BladeIII-Acqua-compatibility-v2.zip and it looks interesting.

Working:

RIL & Telephony

Bluetooth

Camera (front and back)

Proximity calibrator

Sound recorder (Saved as amr file in sdcard root)

FM Radio

Not so good:

WiFi & AP

Camcorder

I can understand how good you made Aurora Borealis now. This thing only has settings icon on the pulldown screen. Yeck. It works nice anyway, Sire...

Guest KonstaT

Well that was fun. It took a while to get back here though. I flashed the BladeIII-Acqua-compatibility-v2.zip and it looks interesting.

I can understand how good you made Aurora Borealis now. This thing only has settings icon on the pulldown screen. Yeck. It works nice anyway, Sire...

I guess you're talking about the CAF Android build? There should be no need to flash any Acqua compatibility. Wifi doesn't work anyway and there's already proper media_profiles for front facing camera. Proximity sensor should work too, it should even work out-of-the-box with Acqua in the latest CM11 build because I added the stock service to it.

I actually made very little to make Aurora Borealis as good (or bad) as it is. It's nothing but a slightly modified ZTE stock ROM. My CAF build here (or the sources, actually) is basically where ZTE started off with and after 6-8 months of development and testing (by how many engineers?) they came up what's the stock ROM. ;)

Guest MJonMoDaCo

I guess you're talking about the CAF Android build? There should be no need to flash any Acqua compatibility. Wifi doesn't work anyway and there's already proper media_profiles for front facing camera. Proximity sensor should work too, it should even work out-of-the-box with Acqua in the latest CM11 build because I added the stock service to it.

I actually made very little to make Aurora Borealis as good (or bad) as it is. It's nothing but a slightly modified ZTE stock ROM. My CAF build here (or the sources, actually) is basically where ZTE started off with and after 6-8 months of development and testing (by how many engineers?) they came up what's the stock ROM. ;)

Ya too right lol. Burnt too much midnight oil when i wrote that one... I probably drunk it in the end :D

• 3 months later...
Guest Le Cosaque

KonstaT, how can I add Bulgarian language to the native keyboard? I mean, I've done it with other android custom roms based on 2.3.6 for my old galaxy pocket, but can't fint the files in the Firefox ROM that I have to mod and I have no idea which files do I have to mod. 

Thanks for the help in advance :)

Guest KonstaT

KonstaT, how can I add Bulgarian language to the native keyboard? I mean, I've done it with other android custom roms based on 2.3.6 for my old galaxy pocket, but can't fint the files in the Firefox ROM that I have to mod and I have no idea which files do I have to mod. 

Thanks for the help in advance :)

Well, this is not Android. ;)

To be honest I haven't got a clue where the file is if you plan to winzip it. There's a build time flag GAIA_KEYBOARD_LAYOUTS which defines which keyboard layouts are built in.

Guest Le Cosaque

Ok, I will try and find how to import more keyboard layouts.

One more thing, any idea why the back button doesn't work :D and how to get it working :D

Guest KonstaT

Ok, I will try and find how to import more keyboard layouts.

One more thing, any idea why the back button doesn't work :D and how to get it working :D

Again, this is not Android.

There's no such thing as back button in Firefox OS. Just the home key.