HTC One: BoomSound

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

When I heard that the speaker experience on the HTC One was to be called BoomSound, I LOL'ed. Literally. Stupid name... but is it a marketing gimmick or a genuinely good feature?

Actually, the speakers on the HTC One kick ass.

Look at the phone you're using now. Where's the speaker? I'm willing to bet that it's on the back. That's kinda stupid right? You're not generally behind your phone. Add in the fact that on the majority of devices all you get is mono sound and you have to commend HTC for doing something different. BoomSound is dual front facing speakers that bring an unprecedented level of clarity (and volume?) to audio playback. The speakers have their own amplifier and can (say HTC) output up to 93dB of sound, with sound 'enhanced' by the Beats audio processor.

The overall result is surprisingly good. Sound is loud (the boot sound can make you jump) but also exceptionally clear and defined. As well as playing various audio and video sources since my One arrived, i've been playing a few games and I have honestly noticed new nuances in the sounds that I previously just did not know were there (I rarely use headphones for gaming).

While the overall bass response is still limited by the physical characteristics of the speaker and the phone in which it was placed, i'm pretty comfortable saying that BoomSound, despite it's rather silly moniker, is the best speaker audio i've ever heard on a phone.

boomsoundspeaker.jpg

Click here to view the item

Guest darrenjdoc

Really glad to hear that. The last 2 HTC phones I had were the Desire and Desire HD. Both had pitiful sound.

I hope it equals or betters the sound from the old Nokia N93 :)

Guest Internationale

But does it come with the ridiculous and unjustifiable premium of the Beats/Monster pricing strategy?

In all seriousness, it's nice to hear that someone is actually doing something decent with phone speakers finally. Shame it had to be Beats, which I hate with a fiery passion.

Guest Mr.ShutUpAndGrowUp

I wanna say i own a pair of beats by dre, and my phone is equipped with it. if beats is a gimmick its by far one of the best gimmicks ever to added to a cell phone, in fact i say tell me what to compare beats audio too and i will test and compare. im a bass lover and i enjoy my one x+, and i can't wait to experience this. if you broke and can't afford a pair of beats, oh well, yo experience is lost. Beats by dre. none other can compare. now shut up, and im out

Guest PaulOBrien

I have a number of pairs of beats and they really don't compare on either value or performance compared to other 'less fashion focused' brands...

P

Guest Zarch1972

The speaker on the Nexus 4 is pretty ridiculously placed on the back. Lay it on a desk face up and its covered facing downward, so quiet. Hold it in your hands trying to watch a video and your finger strays over the speaker.

I would certainly welcome the front placement on the One. :)

• 4 months later...
Guest Edubyah

It's so obvious... but yet, so few devices have front speakers.

P

Crazy isn't it. Right there plain as day and hardly anyone does it.

Guest Thumper Net

Front speakers are great for music and watching filmon or movies , only sometimes beats audio lowers the volume , on a headset its good