Rooting/Debranding Xperia J?

Guest potmunky

Guest potmunky

Hi all.

Ive finally got round to updating my old San Fran/ZTE Blade to an Xperia J and I notice a distinct lack of threads... ;)

Im getting it next week through Three (3) on a contract with unlimited data usage.

My questions are:

Has the Xperia J been updated to JB 4.1 yet?

Is it possible to root and debrand the J (yes I am aware of the dangers/warranty issues: Just curious at the mo)?

Anyone have one and formed an opinion yet?

Ta muchly! :)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest docdie

Hi,

I had the same upgrade path i.e. Blade to Xperia J.

I got my Xperia J a month after it released (sim-free) and had to wait till early this year for proper rooting kits, etc. The Jelly Bean update is out already (the UI is smoother but not many cosmetic changes). Its available as a .ftf file if you just google the 11.2.A.0.21 jelly bean update for Xperia J you'll now find loads of places you can get the unbranded ftf from. As usual, once rooted, you lose warranty but can install any custom ROM. There is the free xperia project who keep releasing updates to the stock Jelly Bean ROM (Xperia J codename - Jlo). I'd still suggest the Sony stock JB ROM just because its lighter on the battery and you can still root it while keeping all your settings in place. Just make sure you use a Windows PC cos its a headache on the Mac.

Hope this helps :)

Guest nicjoco

Hi,

I had the same upgrade path i.e. Blade to Xperia J.

I got my Xperia J a month after it released (sim-free) and had to wait till early this year for proper rooting kits, etc. The Jelly Bean update is out already (the UI is smoother but not many cosmetic changes). Its available as a .ftf file if you just google the 11.2.A.0.21 jelly bean update for Xperia J you'll now find loads of places you can get the unbranded ftf from. As usual, once rooted, you lose warranty but can install any custom ROM. There is the free xperia project who keep releasing updates to the stock Jelly Bean ROM (Xperia J codename - Jlo). I'd still suggest the Sony stock JB ROM just because its lighter on the battery and you can still root it while keeping all your settings in place. Just make sure you use a Windows PC cos its a headache on the Mac.

Hope this helps :)

Just upgraded from ZTE Blade to Xperia J (ST261) running ICS.

My phone tells me that its bootloader cannot be unlocked. Can I still upgrade to Jelly Bean?

I thought I'd got my head around rooting, CWM and ROMs on the Blade, but it seems much more complicated with the Xperia.

Guest nicjoco

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=2033114

Flashtool makes things easy. Don't have a J myself, I have XZ and haven't had any issues with other Xperias using it.

Thanks for the advice.

After a few attempts, problems and reflashing of the sony firmware, I managed to follow the instructions.

Can I use this version of cwm to flash PA3 4.1.2? Some of the posts on xda say that this version of rooting and cwm can't be used to install custom ROMs.

I'm in the process of joining xda so I can post the question there, but I thought I'd ask it over here too.

(Edited) As a new member of XDA, I can't post a reply in that thread.

Am I right in saying that the cwm team haven't developed a recovery image for the Xperia J? If that's the case, can cwm be used to flash custom ROMs?

I tried flashing PA3 4.1.2 (first wiping data, cache partition and dalvik cache). CWM claimed the flash was successful but the phone wouldn't start up on reboot. I ended up flashing a sony firmware to get the phone to work.

I've since read that a data wipe before the reboot might be needed. Which wipe(s) would that be?

Edited by nicjoco

Guest scuzzbucket

You need to look for ROMs that can be used on locked bootloader devices. Check the development section for your phone at XDA to see what's available.