Help, help please ...

Guest Voxpop2011

Guest Voxpop2011

with removing root and consequently Super user.

I want to sell my Skate/OMC so have done a factory reset, but this has not removed root or Super user. That well known high street chain dealing in used technology and software will not buy rooted phones.

Thanks again people

Guest Voxpop2011

On a chance, took the phone into another branch. Whatever checks are run did not seem pick on the presence of root, and I got £60 because it was unlocked. I shall drop by the shop in a couple of days to see the resale price.

Guest hugobosslives

they gave you £60 for a skate?

jeez thats good. what condition was it in? mint?

about to get rid of mind and didn't think i could get more than £40 (but then it is quite scratched)

Guest Voxpop2011

It will resell as mint as it was unused and boxed. The fact that it was also unlocked helped to bump up the price. I tried another dealer and was only offered £40. :angry: I did list this on Amazon for £125, but nobody seems to be interested in the Skate/OMC anymore as there are quite a few.

Whenever I buy a new phone, the first thing I do is get a protective case to keep it scratch free so that I can eventually sell in good condition.

Guest hugobosslives

Well thats interesting.

Just checked their website and for orange locked its:

Mint - £53

Good - £42

Poor - £35

For unlocked its

Mint - £69

Good - £60

Poor - £58

So a massive difference when you unlock it for free :D

Guess mine will count as poor as even though the phone is fine (was in a case) the screen is very scratched. £58 isn't bad though.

Never used cex for phones. Are they good or do they try to give you less and say its in a very poor condition?

Guest Voxpop2011

They will only give you the bottom end of the price range. I got £60 for my used OMC with a B grade for a tiny dent on the corner of the housing. My second unused phone was graded as mint, but because of the age again I only got £60. Still I am happy that I managed to offload two phones where one had a broken MAC wi-fi address and the other had been rooted. I only need £10 to make up the cost of the new Huawei Ascend G510. :)

Face to face dealing with cex is better as there are loads of complaints on the web from people who have posted stuff and have not been satisfied with the outcome.

Edited by Voxpop2011

Guest hugobosslives

Do they check the phone carefully?

My mic sometimes plays up and you need to reboot to fix :D will they check for stuff like this?

Guest Voxpop2011

Hugo, I have no idea what they check and the point of these - google cex complaints - as you are asked to leave the phone with them and come back after a specified period. However, if your phone is visibly worn, it will automatically be classed as C notwithstanding the checks that go on 'behind the scenes'.

Guest hugobosslives

Oh i didn't realise you have to leave it with them. Only ever given them dvds and games before where they give you the cash straight away. Might just have to pop in next time i'm near one. How long do they taker roughly?

I want £60 quid off a nexus 4 :D

Guest Voxpop2011

They usually say 30 minutes, so you need to wonder away and do something else. Frankly, I would advise against buying a phone from cex and just concentrate on selling.

Guest hugobosslives

Thanks for the information. It has been helpful mate.

And yer i agree with you totally. Would never buy electronics from them. Don't know the history. I only really buy phone new or from people I know/trust.

Guest hugobosslives

Hmm seems like selling is pretty bad as well.

Thanks for the info though. Might aswell go in and see what they say. Will probs keep it as a spare phone/ media device if they don't want it :D