Noobs guide to N7000 if you please...??

Guest Lister Of Smeg

Guest Lister Of Smeg

Hello All,

I am thinking of upgrading my trusty (but old, and slow) ZTE Blade for a Samsung Galaxy Note (N7000)..... However I have a few questions... As what Ive seen and read so far, makes me a lil scared of this device.

1) Can this be permanently unlocked via an Android App, that can survive ROM flashes for free?

2) Whats this Yellow Triangle, can it be deactivated for good via Android App?

3) Can you flash any ROM you like via a Recovery Manager App (like CWM), whats all this ODIN about?

4) Can you permanently brick this device, or is there always a way to restore/recover it...?

5) Why do I see loads of posts about Sim Tray, do they break easily?

6) Any other things I should know about...??

I've come from a ZTE Blade, and an HP Touchpad (as well as Apple iPod Touch, grrrrrrr) and Ive yet to see a way to permanently brick those, they just keep on going..... no matter what ya do to them.

However I have seen many threads about being careful not to brick this device (N7000) for good!!! :( So, are they really that unreliable?? or is it just over cautious warning...

Any advice on this device, what noobs guide on what to do first when getting it. It'll be coming from a factory locked stocked rom, and I would like to unlock the network, and install a custom rom (without fear of it locking up again).

Thanks, Lister

Guest Lister Of Smeg

Wow, so the original Galaxy Note was such an epic failure for Samsung that they sold NONE!! No one has ever seen one, used one or OWN ONE??? Well I am surprised....

Guess I will have to keep using my old (2009) single core, 512Mb Ram.... ZTE Blade. As it appears to have more life than the Galaxy Note, and out performs the Note any day... as people actually use a Blade!! Where as they dont appear to use a Note... :(

Edited by Lister Of Smeg

Guest psionandy

Hello All,

5) Why do I see loads of posts about Sim Tray, do they break easily?

However I have seen many threads about being careful not to brick this device (N7000) for good!!! :( So, are they really that unreliable?? or is it just over cautious warning...

Wow, nearly 200 views... and yet no one knows anything about this product... No wonder it failed! :(

As there aren't many note users here... perhaps asking the question where you have seen those threads and posts would be a better option.

Guest pearsonian

i am also thinking of buying note n7000 with the aim of putting a cyanogen 9.1 rom on it, these are going for around 200 quid on ebay and the specs are excellent with big screen,there are other forums i think which cover this model,modaco doesnt seem to be big on it,would be interested to know how easy this phone is to put custom rom on as my g300 is like a new phone with cyanogenmod on it.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest maniac_mouse

The gnote forum here is pretty quiet, xda has a more lively one.

To answer your questions,

Can this be permanently unlocked via an Android App, that can survive ROM flashes for free?

It can be permenantly (sim) unlocked via an app for free, I did mine when i first got it, although the app I used seems to have been removed from the play store, possibly because it only worked with gingerbread. This one https://play.google....z.galaxysunlock should work with ics/jb, I havnt tested it myself though.

Whats this Yellow Triangle, can it be deactivated for good via Android App?

I think the yellow triangle is the result of a sort of counter that logs how many times you flashed something onto the phone, do it more than a few times and it appears. There are apps and tools that get rid of it permenantly and most custom roms wont trigger it anyway, so its not really a problem.

Can you flash any ROM you like via a Recovery Manager App (like CWM), whats all this ODIN about?

Odin is only used for the initial rooting/flashing, and there are other methods that dont use it. Once cwm is installed you can flash everything from there.

Can you permanently brick this device, or is there always a way to restore/recover it...?

The only way to brick it is to flash an unsafe kernel, or, if your unlucky, factory reset on the stock firmware. Its due to a dodgy bit of coding on Samsungs part. There is an app called `got brickbug` that will tell you if your handset is one of the batch affected. All recent custom roms have the emmc command (the bit that buggered it up by calling a broken function on the NAND chip) disabled in the kernel, so they are safe to flash. Basically, do not wipe/factory reset anything until you have installed a safe kernel as per one of the rooting guides on xda.

Apart from that, as long as you dont destroy the bootloader, its recoverable.

Why do I see loads of posts about Sim Tray, do they break easily?

Never had a problem with the sim tray, iv never had to swap sims though.

Any other things I should know about...??

One thing that has niggled me is the lack of notification lights. There are some hacks to strobe the softkey lights, but i have never been able to get them to work, probably due to rom/kernel.

I love my note, its a fantastic device, the screen is a good size for browsing the web and its amoled like the blade, so its got those lovely vibrent colours as well. The 8mp camera is pretty good and the stylus is a nice extra, although I rarely use it. Im using the pacman jb 4.2.2 rom at the moment and so far its been very stable and impressive performance wise. Like the blade, there is a lot of rom development for the note, and its capable of running the latest Android version very well indeed.

Hope this helps.

Edited by maniac_mouse

Guest Echse27

The post above tells you the most importent things about the Note!

Only one thing :

When you will use a CM Rom you will lose the extra function with the S-Pen!

You only have to download the actual Philz Kernel for the Note.. This one is flashable from Stockrecovery... Then the Note is rooted and you can flash everything you want!

I'm lovin my Note... It's a realy great device!

Edited by Echse27

Guest maniac_mouse

Only one thing :

When you will use a CM Rom you will lose the extra function with the S-Pen!

All the s-pen enabled apps on the play store seem to work fine with the cm based roms I tried, I think its only the Touchwiz ui based pen functions that are missing and most can be duplicated using various tweaks and apps.

Pity there always seems to be a tiny bit of input lag when using the pen to draw. Its just enough to be offputting, although still a million times better than trying to draw with your fingers.

Edited by maniac_mouse