Modified Kindle app, optimised for eInk Nooks

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

Hi all!

I have made a version of the Kindle app that is more optimised for the Nook eInk readers. It allows page turns via the volume keys (which can be configured using Nook Touch Mod Manager) and the page turn animations are also disabled.

To install, uninstall your existing Kindle app then use my APK. Enjoy! :)

P

Guest englishpunk

Page turns work for me configuring the side buttons (as required) to "Tap Left (Previous Page)" and Tap Right (Next Page)", it's a pity there's no option to just turn off the animations. Would it be possible to do via an Xposed Framework module ?

Guest englishpunk

No, Xposed doesn't support Eclair, it's ICS or newer.

P

Thanks Paul, i had a funny feeling that might be the case, shame though.

Guest samjam
Page turns work for me configuring the side buttons (as required) to "Tap Left (Previous Page)" and Tap Right (Next Page)", it's a pity there's no option to just turn off the animations. Would it be possible to do via an Xposed Framework module ?

Maybe animation speed could be increased to be instant

• 1 month later...
Guest freebooter

I tried again and downloaded it ok. For some reason when I click on the link in Opera I got a blocked pop up message that when I opened just produced a blank page. I also got another tab that redirected to random spammy sites.

I have just tried in rekonq and it opened a captcha and dowloaded without any problem.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

Which version is this based on? I've rooted nook with kindle app on it. Google play says 4.2.0 is latest but mine says it is 3.2.0.35. I've done a re-install but no different. I find the knidle very poor to read compared to the nook reader. I think it might be the choice of font, changable in nook but not in kindle. Or it could be kindle it's optimed for e-ink. Font is rather thin/light and hard to read compared to nook. I did intall another modified kindle app so I'm not sure if that is stuck some how but it seems to have change the kindle app as signatures are different (have to re-install books).

Update: Installed this app after downloading it and I still get 3.2.0.35

Edited by Malc_b

Many thanks for this, Paul.

When I install the Kindle app from the Play Store on my phone (Android 4.2), Amazon creates a send-to-Kindle email address for it. After several reinstallations of your app on my Nook ST, I never get a send-to-Kindle address for it. That feature would really boost the usefulness of my Nook - any chance it could be enabled?

• 1 year later...
Guest bodhidharmazen

hello, after trying for ages to install a working kindle app in my rooted nook, I found yours, AND IT WORKS! I can enter my amazon account and download and buys books from there. AWESOM JOB!

That said, I have some other books (not bought in amazon but downloaded from Project Gutemberg, and using Calibre I made them .mobi instead of .epub... then using Calibre I copied them to my nook (it is a Simple Touch Glow), but... there is no (apparent) way for me to open them with the Kindle app!!! Am I doing something wrong? When I sync the app.. nothing happens.. unless is already in my kindle amazon account... I don't know what to do, Pleas help!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi.  If you copy kindle compatible books to your kindle directory on the nook, they should show up.

You might need to exit and restart the Kindle app to get it to pick up the new titles

Hope that helps

Guest bodhidharmazen

Hello Yane

No! it doesn't work! I have done exactly this.. and noo.. it cant read them, I sync and nothing happens! My books are from project Gutemberg, I downloaded Calibre and have transformed them from epub to the Kindle format. Then I copy them to the subdirectory in my nook.. and no... after syncing nothing appears!

Edited by bodhidharmazen

• 10 months later...
Guest Tinsel

Hi Paul,

I have installed your Kindle app, and I still use it on my Nook Simple Touch Glowlight.  Many thanks - its very useful.

However, the promise of having a universal reader hasn't worked out, I can't get either the Kobo or Google reader to work on the Nook.  

I was wondering if you have modified versions of the Kobo or Google apps that work on the Nook ?  If not, do you know of any that do work ?

Regards,

Malcolm