Orange San Diego vs high end phones

Guest Thedarkphonetech

Guest Andymac1969

I'll bite, I have had a vast variety of phones over the last few years, from Nokia to Samsung Galaxy phones. I have had top end phones that have cost me over £500 to buy to the humble ZTE Blade that cost under £100.

I can honestly say that I have NEVER had a problem with any of them apart from a HTC Desire that I had to have the motherboard replaced due to overheating when it was only a month old.

I have had no hassle at all with the OSD, no cracks, fractures, marks, scrapes, dents, chips, dust, reboots, hardware faults, software problems, camera failures, GPS issues, backlight problems, bits falling off, people giving me sneering looks with my yellow and black slab, being an anti social outcast, loosing friends, no regrets for buying it and most importantly ABSOLUTELY NO REGRET OVER PAYING £79 FOR IT.

Now contrast this with my "Other" phone, I am amazed it has not bounced of a wall yet, the software has caused me no end of hassle, the GPS is based on a blind man at a roundabout, the camera is more moody and temperamental than my Mrs is, I have had to have the digitizer replaced, but on the positive side, people rave about it, If I want to look a pretentious self simulator I put it on bar tops, I can shout across rooms "Text me on my ****** " I can be truly robbed blind for all its accessories, I feel self important and my manhood doubles in size when I send an email as it says "Sent from my ****** " Has anyone guessed what is the most unreliable phone I have ever owned yet????

Yes ladies and gentleman its an IPHONE!!! A phone truly worth being given the title of "THE BIGGEST PIECE OF JUNK I HAVE EVER BOUGHT"

post-407498-0-88542500-1369749280_thumb.

Guest BlueMoonRising

I'll bite, I have had a vast variety of phones over the last few years, from Nokia to Samsung Galaxy phones. I have had top end phones that have cost me over £500 to buy to the humble ZTE Blade that cost under £100.

I can honestly say that I have NEVER had a problem with any of them apart from a HTC Desire that I had to have the motherboard replaced due to overheating when it was only a month old.

I have had no hassle at all with the OSD, no cracks, fractures, marks, scrapes, dents, chips, dust, reboots, hardware faults, software problems, camera failures, GPS issues, backlight problems, bits falling off, people giving me sneering looks with my yellow and black slab, being an anti social outcast, loosing friends, no regrets for buying it and most importantly ABSOLUTELY NO REGRET OVER PAYING £79 FOR IT.

Now contrast this with my "Other" phone, I am amazed it has not bounced of a wall yet, the software has caused me no end of hassle, the GPS is based on a blind man at a roundabout, the camera is more moody and temperamental than my Mrs is, I have had to have the digitizer replaced, but on the positive side, people rave about it, If I want to look a pretentious self simulator I put it on bar tops, I can shout across rooms "Text me on my ****** " I can be truly robbed blind for all its accessories, I feel self important and my manhood doubles in size when I send an email as it says "Sent from my ****** " Has anyone guessed what is the most unreliable phone I have ever owned yet????

Yes ladies and gentleman its an IPHONE!!! A phone truly worth being given the title of "THE BIGGEST PIECE OF JUNK I HAVE EVER BOUGHT"

Lol, but look on the bright side, at least you paid a lot of money for the iPhone. Wait, that can't be right can it?

You're going to be called an OSD fanboy now, you do know that don't you? :P

Edit :- just for the record I have no beef whatsoever with people choosing iPhones, Android, Blackberry's. Windows or FisherPrice phones.

It's their money and their choice. Each to their own.

Edited by BlueMoonRising

Guest Andymac1969

Lol, but look on the bright side, at least you paid a lot of money for the iPhone. Wait, that can't be right can it?

You're going to be called an OSD fanboy now, you do know that don't you? :P

Not sure what I am to be honest, I love the whole thing about mobiles, I currently have 4 (having just inherited my brothers Windows phone after his bust up with T Mobile)

I can see merits in them all, IOS is for people with limited learning skills, i.e very straight forward and locked down, bit boring but does the job, in car terms a Skoda but priced like a Ferrari.

I keep getting drawn back to Windows phone, I have had 3 phones with Windows 7/7.5 on them and got rid of them all, but as I now have a FREE Windows phone again I find it fun to use, It is a great OS but it is so let down by the apps, if they got them sorted I could make the switch to it permanent, in car terms its a Citroen, fairly cheap, looks the part, but you just know its not going to last.

Then there is Android, I think it is streets ahead of Windows and IOS in usability and flexibility, but it is fragmented by the hardware from the very cheap to the mind blowing, it caters to all tastes, but there is no consistency, it gives people huge options from a £25 phone to a £700 phone and I guess that is where IOS scores over Android, in a consistent product all Iphones are the same, look the same, feel the same and act the same. In car terms it's a 1984 Mini with a 3.5ltr Rover V8 shoehorned in, real attitude, understated, but can sometimes frighten the life out of you.

If I had to only keep one out of my Iphone, Windows phone and OSD it would be tough as they all have there merits, but common sense says it would be the OSD, then the Windows phone only because the Iphone is so dammed unreliable, the GPS is rubbish and the camera refuses to start most of the time.

Fanboy? No just common sense really.

Guest Biohead

I've already posted on here that not all iPhone users are idiot. Yes I agree most of them are, but there a few of us who actually use it to its full potential - please could people keep this in mind before grouping them all as one?

Anyway, my OSD is showing signs or cracking. Nothing major but they're there. It's still a very capable device and hands down better than the entry level devices. I wouldn't say this makes it a poor phone. It's Intels first venture and I hope they've learnt from it that their specs for the materials were wrong. Lets also not kid ourselves either. It never was a "premium" device. It was advertised as the only Intel device by Orange and that it was quick. No emphasis on quality from what I remember of the advert campaign.

And those complaining about the prices of iPhones... You're looking in the wrong places :) I've just picked up a brand new, 16gb, black iPhone 5 for £200. Such a shame it's locked to EE :( - enough to put anyone off! I've also been lucky in that I've had no build quality issues on any iPhone I've had. Had the home button issue on the iPhone 4 but that simply got replaced without question in an Apple shop so no complaints with that.

Likewise, I've been looking at the latest HTCs and Blackberry devices today and they look and feel really high quality so hopefully no build issues with those. Infact, the only modern device I take issue with is the SGS4 - that plastic shouldn't be anywhere near such an expensive phone! But that's my opinion and not a fact!!!!!

Guest glossywhite

The phrase "built down to a price" describes the San Diego perfectly.

I don't know how they had the nerve to charge £200 for this device, and to the people who are bitter because I got a free San Diego, and to those of you who constantly and enviously complain of my gift (you know who you are - the usual suspects who seem to appear) I didn't ASK for a refund, nor did I once push for one, or even imply I wanted a refund; the Orange exec office advisor very kindly said "keep the phone, and I'll issue you a cheque refund immediately" - I was totally taken aback, and overjoyed!! I hope you all take this up with Orange too, and get what you deserve - a refund? Free phone? Who knows? Just don't "expect" it; you reap what you sow, so bear that in mind.

If you are jealous that I got a free phone - which is evident in many sarcastic and derisory comments I've seen, then why be? You could have been me, could have used a little common sense and searched for their number and called them, too; I'm not "special" or talented to be able to communicate calmly with someone when my purchase has an issue, I am just polite and civil, and don't go into the situation with an attitude of "being owed something", which I wasn't owed at all, by *any* means, which obviously served to be to my benefit, as the situation has shown.

Edited by glossywhite

Guest DaveSimonH

Well I'm not jealous, I got a free £250 phone a few years back (had a 3 phone with real problems, ie couldn't make calls on it, not cosmetic stuff).

Whoop-dee-doo for me...

Edited by DaveSimonH

Guest sang3eta

I noticed Orange have dropped the San Diego from their PAYG web page.

I've just had mine replaced for the craking problem, only time will tell if the cracks come back, don't look promising if they pulled it.

Also noticed it had no microphone hole where your mouth goes, so people find it hard to hear you!

In the mean time I bought the Orange Sony XP for £250 (they've now raised the price to £300)

It's really nice, 2x as fast as the San Diego, metal bezel, easy push buttons, Android Jelly Bean, True 720p, Grand Theft Auto is downloadable from the App store, working Micro SD slot, it's got funky lights, and best suprise of all I can plug a PS3 controller into it! :D

Edited by sang3eta