Faulty Power Button - returned from repairs as water damage!!!

Guest dabiboy

Guest Roger Barnett

I'm Pleased to report that I've received mine back from repair after 14 days.

post-908908-0-28226300-1372977391_thumb.

Edited by Roger Barnett

Guest glossywhite

That is a lot of hassle to go through to just get one phone repaired. So many faults - why bother? Just ask for a different handset or money back - the San Diego is such a piece of utter junk.

Guest Roger Barnett

Please, this topic is about faulty power buttons.

1. I had a faulty power button, just like another guy on here

2. I gave my OSD back to EE for repair

3. They fixed it, within the promised time of 14 days

4. I'm a happy bunny, with my OSD back.

This topic is not about god, philosophy, or how much you lot hate each other.

I challenge ye all to stay on topic!!!

Guest glossywhite

Please, this topic is about faulty power buttons.

1. I had a faulty power button, just like another guy on here

2. I gave my OSD back to EE for repair

3. They fixed it, within the promised time of 14 days

4. I'm a happy bunny, with my OSD back.

This topic is not about god, philosophy, or how much you lot hate each other.

I challenge ye all to stay on topic!!!

Good call that man!

:) Sorry for de-railing, and I'll permanently shut up about the San Diego and my opinion on it, that is a guarantee :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Simon O

Thread cleaned up. I don't care who started it but he three of you involved are just as bad as each other. This forum is supposed to be a nice & friendly place!

It ends now. If you don't like a member then ignore them!

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem with my Orange San Diego - the power button became progressively depressed and was almost impossible to switch on/off. Orange repaired the phone under warranty. Four months later, the fault re-emerged. The Orange repair centre initially refused to look at it on the grounds that the phone was not a UK model (it was running the XOLO ICS rom). My local Orange/EE shop sent it back, insisting (to their credit) that I had bought the phone in Exeter. The repair centre has since bounced the phone a second time, having damaged the phone casing, and are now using the 'water damage' excuse.

So, a couple of issues here:

1. There is a design fault with the power switch - this is clearly a common problem on the San Diego.

2. The repair centre is, for whatever reason, refusing to acknowledge this fault and are using any excuse to avoid fixing it.

3. They are causing damage to goods entrusted to their care.

My intention is to dig my heels in and insist on a repair or replacement. If they refuse, I will escalate the issue with Orange Customer Care, CISAS, and the Small Claims Court in that order. I would strongly encourage other owners of this phone to do the same.

Guest BlueMoonRising

Power button just got stuck today :( anyone know if I can fix it myself?

Yes :- http://www.modaco.com/topic/358636-power-button-no-longer-works/#entry2045624

It's tricky but if you take off the back and look at the power button there's an arm that comes down and rests on the button itself. You need to lift the button and place a thin small piece of card between the two. You may need to use a fine blade to gently remove a bit of plastic from the piece that just hides it to get easy access.

If you've never removed the back BTW it's held on by double sided tape that you need to gently prise up after separating the edges with your finger nail.

Guest Raihan42

Yes :- http://www.modaco.com/topic/358636-power-button-no-longer-works/#entry2045624

It's tricky but if you take off the back and look at the power button there's an arm that comes down and rests on the button itself. You need to lift the button and place a thin small piece of card between the two. You may need to use a fine blade to gently remove a bit of plastic from the piece that just hides it to get easy access.

If you've never removed the back BTW it's held on by double sided tape that you need to gently prise up after separating the edges with your finger nail.

I've opened it up and placed a piece of card under the power button, the button goes back up but when I press it nothing happens. Have I done something wrong? Or is it supposed to go under the arm?

Guest BlueMoonRising

I've opened it up and placed a piece of card under the power button, the button goes back up but when I press it nothing happens. Have I done something wrong? Or is it supposed to go under the arm?

It goes between the bottom of the arm and the switch itself. The card has to be small enough not to catch on the edge of the black plastic shield which is what makes it tricky. I would try and trim the top edge of the plastic down a little to give more access.

Guest Raihan42

I've tried so many times now, I can't seem to get where it goes I've tried between the arm and switch, side ways and flat but nothing works. If it doesn't cause you any trouble I'd be great full if you could include some pictures of how it's done. Btw I think something might be broken because the right part of the button is more sunk in than the left.

Guest BlueMoonRising

I've tried so many times now, I can't seem to get where it goes I've tried between the arm and switch, side ways and flat but nothing works. If it doesn't cause you any trouble I'd be great full if you could include some pictures of how it's done. Btw I think something might be broken because the right part of the button is more sunk in than the left.

I'll maybe try tomorrow, I work nights.

My button finally failed (I'd had my phone since day of release, about 14 months of careful use) and I was having real trouble getting the card beneath the button as is required by this fix, but I stumbled upon an alternative improvement (I hesitate to call it an actual fix).

After taking the back cover off, if you lay a thin piece of plastic (like a piece trimmed from a flimsy plastic business card) in the top right hand corner, approximately where the vibrating weight is, then when you put the cover back on again it serves to push your power button up and out a little bit. The plastic card has to be thin, or you won't get the back cover on and clicked shut.

If you just put your thumb over your front facing camera, and forefinger on the opposite side of the back cover, and squeeze, it has the same effect. Your power button pops up and temporarily becomes more reachable. It works for me, anyway.

I have the same problem with my Orange San Diego - the power button became progressively depressed and was almost impossible to switch on/off. Orange repaired the phone under warranty. Four months later, the fault re-emerged. The Orange repair centre initially refused to look at it on the grounds that the phone was not a UK model (it was running the XOLO ICS rom). My local Orange/EE shop sent it back, insisting (to their credit) that I had bought the phone in Exeter. The repair centre has since bounced the phone a second time, having damaged the phone casing, and are now using the 'water damage' excuse.

So, a couple of issues here:

1. There is a design fault with the power switch - this is clearly a common problem on the San Diego.

2. The repair centre is, for whatever reason, refusing to acknowledge this fault and are using any excuse to avoid fixing it.

3. They are causing damage to goods entrusted to their care.

My intention is to dig my heels in and insist on a repair or replacement. If they refuse, I will escalate the issue with Orange Customer Care, CISAS, and the Small Claims Court in that order. I would strongly encourage other owners of this phone to do the same.

After a strongly worded letter to Orange Customer Care threatening legal action, they have now decided that the fault has not been caused by water damage!  They have now agreed to repair or replace the phone, as is their statutory obligation under the Sale of Goods Act. The lesson here is:

1. Don't let Orange fob you off with the invalidated warranty/out of warranty/water damage excuse. This is just plain unlawful, and they know it.

2. Don't let Orange argue that the phone is not part of the contract. Equipment supplied by them (whether there is an up front fee or not) is covered by The Sale of Goods Act. This makes it an implied term of the contract that goods be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality. In addition EU directive 999/44/EC states that: 'A two-year guarantee applies for the sale of all consumer goods everywhere in the EU. If Orange are unable to repair the phone, and are unwilling to replace it with a handset of equivalent specification, they are in breach of UK contract and EU directive 999/44/EC. Tell them this in writing, and what action you require of them. Explain that If they do not comply within seven days, that you will issue a claim against them in the county court without further reference. 

Quite simply, Orange/EE have far and away the worst record of complaints with OFCOM, and will use unlawful (and even fraudulent) methods to deny you your statutory rights. So much so, that a consumer group have set up a website (http://eecomplaints.co.ukto help you complain successfully to EE/Orange, and force them to meet their statutory obligations. It worked for me!

Edited by Mayapur