[Guide] How To Flash CWM / Gapps / and Root The Vowney V5

Guest tillaz

Guest mogsog

I had no problem at first doing this apart from I made the same mistake as ChrisPNE and now I have all of the usb drop outs that other users seem to be having. I've tried this on 2 systems so far, it is almost as if reflashing the recovery.img has caused these connectivity isseus. I am running out of ideas, if anybody has any suggestions I would be very thankful.

Guest kieranswhite
I had no problem at first doing this apart from I made the same mistake as ChrisPNE and now I have all of the usb drop outs that other users seem to be having. I've tried this on 2 systems so far, it is almost as if reflashing the recovery.img has caused these connectivity isseus. I am running out of ideas, if anybody has any suggestions I would be very thankful.

Have a look at the other method I posted on the vowney thread there is a video showing a different method. Not sure if it works yet though

Guest tillaz

Do I need to increase the recovery partition and flash TWRP if I'm perfectly fine with CWM?

No, its just for people that want TWRP rather than cwm.

Guest moorish

Having some difficulty booting in to cwm recovery in the V5 I just received. I can pull stock recovery and flash cwm just fine. No errors, get green circle in SP flash tool at the end.

However, when rebooting with volume up and power, I don't get cwm, instead i get factory mode with the blue chinese writing.

Any ideas?

edit..

ok just figured it out...there is a hardware problem with the volume buttons.

Edited by moorish

Guest mogsog

kieranswhite and tillaz you are both legends. I used tillaz CWM rom and the video that kieranswhite posted on the general voweyv5 thread. I am not sure of your opinion on the process tillaz but I would definatly recommend to people who have any device pinging trouble (when the vowney shows in the com then disappears from the hardware list) to use this alternative method replacing the .img file on pandawill and instead using the one inside tillaz cmw mtk6589 file. I used the motochopper method of rooting the vowney due to the fact the pandawill one said that the adb server was out of date.

MOTOCHOPPER root method for mtk6589 devices.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ge2eepcp816qxtc/motochopper+BY+djrbliss+on+droidrzr.com.zip

The PandaWill tut with the guy showing off how strong the box is.

http://www.pandawillforum.com/showthread.php?21213-ROM-Android-4-2-Samsung-S4-UI-Customizd-ROM-for-Vowney-V5-sku41873

Guest bryfly

Ace from Merimobile tech support pointed me in the direction of the flash tutorial below which I have found quite helpful.

tillaz have a question, you mentioned before to use firmware upgrade as opposed to hitting the download button.

Could you clarify which one you should use when, as all tutorials I have seen only mention hitting the download button.

http://bm-smartphone-reviews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/mt6575-flashing-tutorial.html

Guest tillaz

Ace from Merimobile tech support pointed me in the direction of the flash tutorial below which I have found quite helpful.

tillaz have a question, you mentioned before to use firmware upgrade as opposed to hitting the download button.

Could you clarify which one you should use when, as all tutorials I have seen only mention hitting the download button.

http://bm-smartphone...g-tutorial.html

you really should be asking mediatek this as they made the flash tool,

but as far as i am aware the "download" button is for flashing part of a factory rom, and "firmware update" is for flashing the whole rom

my advice would be to always try the download button first as this is what most people say works for them.

Guest jamjamjam

Thanks for the guide tillaz.

I'm hope you don't mind but I thought I'd post an alternative method, which I found a little easier as a noob!

ROOT

Download the 6589 rooter http://d-h.st/H62

Follow this guide if you need ADB Drivers: http://droidchina.co...er-on-Windows-7

Unzip 6589 Rooter

Check USB Debugging under System settings >Developer Options > Debugging

Plug in phone

Click run.bat in the mt6589_rooter folder

Follow the on-screen instructions

CWM

Install Mobileuncle tools from Play market

Put this recovery.img on your sd card: http://www.speedysha...sR/recovery.img

Open Mobileuncle and give superuser permissions

Go Recovery update and click recovery.img listed under 'Recovery file in SDcard'

Click OK to the pop-up then OK again to the next pop-up

You should reboot in to CWM where you can flash a custom rom

Edited by jamjamjam

Guest Rico_89

CWM

Install Mobileuncle tools from Play market

Put this recovery.img on your sd card: http://www.speedysha...sR/recovery.img

Open Mobileuncle and give superuser permissions

Go Recovery update and click recovery.img listed under 'Recovery file in SDcard'

Click OK to the pop-up then OK again to the next pop-up

You should reboot in to CWM where you can flash a custom rom

Following the above method am I right in saying that every time I want boot into CWM I have to go through Mobile Uncle?

Guest Rico_89

No not after it is installed its the same as normal cwm

Ah Ok then this isn't working for me. After installing CWM using Mobile Uncle, it boots in CWM as the instructions indicate but then after that if I boot up with Volume +, it just boots into the stock Android recovery.

Guest jamjamjam

That's strange, maybe a stupid question but did you give mobileuncle root permission? Once in CWM for the first time have you tried installing a custom rom with CWM installed? I'm sure that would work and is what I did but I also thought CWM stayed regardless.

Guest Rico_89

That's strange, maybe a stupid question but did you give mobileuncle root permission? Once in CWM for the first time have you tried installing a custom rom with CWM installed? I'm sure that would work and is what I did but I also thought CWM stayed regardless.

Yeah I have root and had to give Mobileuncle root permission also when I booted into CWM I flashed a GPS file, so it's working while I'm CWM recovery through MU. But when I try to boot into CWM with power/ volume+ I just boot into Android stock recovery..

Guest zagaboo

Any solutions i still can't flash TWRP with the error above ^???

Any progress on overcoming SP Tools 'error 8038' when trying to flash TWRP?

Guest kieranswhite

Any progress on overcoming SP Tools 'error 8038' when trying to flash TWRP?

nope i hoped tillaz had an idea but it might be to do with the SP flash tool version

Guest Rico_89

Having an issue here, maybe someone can help;

Every time I flash CWM it gets overwritten with the stock android recovery. I have tried mobile uncle and reflashed as instructed on page 1, however after it installs I can only boot into CWM once and then after shutting down, restart volume +, I boot back into stock android?

What is going on? Anyone with any ideas? It worked perfectly before I upgraded but now CWM just wont stay installed.

Guest bryfly

Having an issue here, maybe someone can help;

Every time I flash CWM it gets overwritten with the stock android recovery. I have tried mobile uncle and reflashed as instructed on page 1, however after it installs I can only boot into CWM once and then after shutting down, restart volume +, I boot back into stock android?

What is going on? Anyone with any ideas? It worked perfectly before I upgraded but now CWM just wont stay installed.

after update I did cwm through mobileuncle, towards the end of the install I got a message something like " at reboot will overwrite stock recovery" I had to select yes or no, I selected yes and I can boot in and out of cwm fine. hope this helps

however I always go to cwm via "rom manager"

Edited by bryfly

Guest Misa94

I have a problem. I'm connect the phone in the pc without battery. The windows install the driver but the phone is connect up and down all the time.

I tried 3 usb cables and i tried a different computer but the same problem.

Her a video my problem.