Vowney V5 Review

Guest Sere83

Guest ChrisPNE
Great review!

Does anyone know if WCDMA 850/1900 are supported? These two frequencies are used in N. and S. America.

Merimobiles keeps implying that these two 3G freqs are supported but I'm skeptical.

Guest ChrisPNE
Great review!

Does anyone know if WCDMA 850/1900 are supported? These two frequencies are used in N. and S. America.

Merimobiles keeps implying that these two 3G freqs are supported but I'm skeptical.

post-990548-13732635031565_thumb.jpg

Guest allanmac

Ah, thanks.

Too bad, it looks like WCDMA 1900 is not supported.

Merimobiles seems pretty adamant that WCDMA 850/1900 works. :|

Edited by allanmac

Guest allanmac

Merimobiles seems pretty adamant that WCDMA 850/1900 works. :|

I asked MeriMobiles and they reiterated that they've tested WCDMA 850/1900 in the USA (on Micro SIM #2).

I will probably take the plunge.

[update: ordered July 9]

Edited by allanmac

Guest Dan Mullen

@Dan Mullen - Oh, do - go on! I'm really interested in these phones but don't need one as I'm very happy with my Nexus 4. However, I really fancy a nice big tablet but don't want to splash too much cash. Whenever I've looked at Chinese tablets I've just been swamped with billions of shonky looking underpowered 7inch devices.

Would be great to hear about a big tablet that rocks like this phone, under 200 quid.

EDIT - I won an 8" Prestigio Multipad 5080b some time back, running a Rockchip 2918 - it was horrid with ugly (gingerbread) firmware. The official update to ICS was similarly semi-functional, which was improved on only slightly by some very (albeit briefly) dedicated Italian devs.

Even though I didn't pay a bean for the Prestigio it's made me wary of how flaky these Rockchip devices can be. I see the U30GT has an RK3188. Hopefully better, but likely not much more developer interest than mine had.

Oh, what the hell - I took the plunge and ordered the tablet :)

Guest Cable Monkey

Oh, what the hell - I took the plunge and ordered the tablet :)

SLIGHT OFF TOPIC ALERT :)

Cube U30GT (and other Rockchip RK3188) device support and discussion here

http://www.freaktab.com/forumdisplay.php?76-CUBE-Tablets

I have an RK3188 TV stick (MK908) and although theoretically faster it does not perform on a day-to-day basis as the dual core RK3066 dual core device (MK808) that I have.

I too am contemplating a RK3188 tablet but maybe the 9.7" retina display one like the U9GT5 or a 7.85" ipad mini sized. It is ipad size (ish) and hence benefits from a much wider range of accessories/cases.

Guest elsita

this mobile has two major unsolved problems that makes it nearly useless for a lot of users:

1- 2G data rate is absolutely unacceptable, 20 kilobits, or 2,5 kbytes per second, so a 30 kB image takes more than 10 seconds to download, ping is between 0,6 and 2.0 seconds, really bad. This is not provider related, it happens to every one that has tested it, you should say you are using 3G, so am I, but when you lose 3G and it happens everyday in certain buildings and areas, you are out of data, as these rates are not capable of anything.

2- Compass is not working at all, so navigation through gps is nearly impossible as the phone thinks it is always pointing north.

If wowney does not solve these problems quickly this will be another dead phone in weeks ... and no custom rom is goin to solve this, as the source code from mediatek is not avalaible, only vowney can solve it

so refrain from buying this phone by now, and if you are waiting for yours, do not pick it up and reclaim your money, I think this may push vowney to solve the problems

this mobile has two major unsolved problems that makes it nearly useless for a lot of users:

1- 2G data rate is absolutely unacceptable, 20 kilobits, or 2,5 kbytes per second, so a 30 kB image takes more than 10 seconds to download, ping is between 0,6 and 2.0 seconds, really bad. This is not provider related, it happens to every one that has tested it, you should say you are using 3G, so am I, but when you lose 3G and it happens everyday in certain buildings and areas, you are out of data, as these rates are not capable of anything.

2- Compass is not working at all, so navigation through gps is nearly impossible as the phone thinks it is always pointing north.

Are these problems still an issue with this phone ? Was considering purchasing one, but the GPS would be a major requirement.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest razerboi

I was considering buying one of these variants, i wanted the Star I9500, but from what i gather the GPS problem is common with them all. So unless it can be sorted out i won't be buying. Shame, apart from that it looks great for just over £100.

Guest allanmac

An update in case anyone has the V5 in the USA:

I wound up keeping my Vowney V5 despite the fact that it doesn't support 1900 MHz WCDMA.

My solution was to switch from a TMobile MVNO to an AT&T MVNO because it is said most of their WCDMA network is on 850 MHz. The rest is on 1900. It takes about a day to port your phone number from one mobile operator to another.

Speedtest shows 2-5 Mbps down which feels very fast to me. Voice quality is fine. I'm in downtown Seattle and there is obviously a lot of signal here (5 bars everywhere).

Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are very strong. I use a BT headset and the V5 range and audio quality (different bit rate?) over BT is much better than my 3 yr. old Galaxy S.

GPS works fine now after those initial couple tweaks listed elsewhere on this forum. I had to use "adb shell" to remount the /system to read-write, update the gps.conf, then remount /system to read-only.

I've had a couple MMS messages get stuck on send but eventually go out. My CyanogenMod ROM'd phone never had a problem. I'll keep an eye on it.

The camera appears to be 6 megapixel in the camera app but the Hardware Info app shows that there is an 8 megapixel front and 1.2 mp back camera. I concur with others, the camera quality seems very good -- sharp and with natural color. The "HDR" option is useful too.

The compass sensor is definitely there but, like everyone else has noted, it seems to be disabled.

I added ringtones and notification sounds from a CyanogenMod/AOSP ROM since the included sounds were subpar.

Skype video chat works fine. Apparently the other side of the call will see a square cropped version of you unless you rotate the V5 horizontally (into landscape).

The notification lights are quite nice too.

I'm running the latest 6/26 rom which I flashed using the SP Flash Tool. I then installed CM as my recovery image and rooted the phone with SuperSU.

I also manually installed the new Play Store (4.3.10) that was released this week. Just google it, download the APK and temporarily check "Unknown Sources" so you can install the .apk.

I haven't dropped the phone yet.

So as others have noted, the V5 sure feels like a rather good value!